Ebay sellers...

Advert

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 04/04/2014 19:42:25:

You would hope so Peter, but, I (a rookie) have been turned over very well multiple times since becoming involved with this hobby.

Andy

I sent a power panel to a bloke from, well let's just say, "The English Marches." He claimed not to have received it. Well perhaps, but I had to reimburse him and absorb the cost of postage and packing. Since then I've always insisted on a local pick up or a signed-for service.

Trouble with signed for, it adds to the cost of small value items so they are not worth selling. I see eBay a bit in the form of recycling, I'd rather someone had a bargain than take something useful to the rubbish dump. I recently sold a PC PSU for 99p collection only, it was no use to me and I was pleased someone found a use for it.

Though come to think of it, Royal Mail have "lost" several parcels I have posted, but never one I have been waiting to receive! I do think some people think of eBay as a way of getting occasional freebies.

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 06/04/2014 07:35:31

Hi guys, as an e-bay shop owner in the past you my find this interesting.

As a shop owner (on e bay) we have various fourums on e-bay to discuss selling stuff.

The proof of posting from the Post Office' won't save you at all. Many cases where seller has this and Ebay still force a refund to the customer. Some sellers say they think they are targeted by the same group of buyers!

Posted by Michael Wright on 06/04/2014 08:29:17:

.... Some sellers say they think they are targeted by the same group of buyers!

I don't suppose there would be any value in keeping 'Black List'

From what you say of E-Bay's stance they would probably not be interested.

Unfortunately society has always has it's bad apples; and Ebay is a big barrel.

not model relatedbut i bought 2 swivel seat bases for my transit camper van from ebay on tuesday at 3pm. delivery time was 3to4 days, they were at my door 08 30 wednesdaylaugh. bought table leg and sockets thursday at 2pm from another company at my door o800 fridaylaugh. looks like some companies are getting their act togetheryes

Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 06/04/2014 07:34:42:

I'd rather someone had a bargain than take something useful to the rubbish dump. I recently sold a PC PSU for 99p collection only, it was no use to me and I was pleased someone found a use for it.

I've put a few things on Ebay for similar reasons - a windscreen for a camper van which I no longer had a need for and an old full size aircraft radio gathering dust in the attic come to mind. Both went for a penny - and when the winner came to collect the windscreen he insisted on giving me a case of beer and the winner of the radio insisted on giving me a fiver for my trouble although I took pains to explain that I was happy the items were going to good homes. I hope others I've traded with have found my dealings to be equally fair.

I was chatting to a trade ebay seller recently. He had sold some RC gear to a chap who said it didn't arrive - could he have his money back, please. The trader was suspicious and checked the other fellow's history - It had happened over 100 times with the same buyer!

When this was reported, ebay said the buyer was just "unlucky"!

eBay is exactly the same as any other big store- it needs a constant supply of satisfied customers, and an increasing supply of customers if it wants to grow. To that end it bends over backwards to please purchasers at the expense of the suppliers. Quite right too, in my opinion. Their money-back guarantee is now almost as good as Amazon's.(I recently bought what was described as a hardly-used mobo with i7 cpu, it turned out to be a defective, old, P4 with antiquated mobo - eBay refunded all , including my return postage).eBay can't really do anything about the con-merchants who have always seen eBay as a place to earn a dis-honest buck. As private sellers we do not have economies of scale to contract with a courier, unfortunately.

Posted by Joe Beavis on 07/04/2014 22:53:45:

I was chatting to a trade ebay seller recently. He had sold some RC gear to a chap who said it didn't arrive - could he have his money back, please. The trader was suspicious and checked the other fellow's history - It had happened over 100 times with the same buyer!

When this was reported, ebay said the buyer was just "unlucky"!

I wonder if that 'unliucky' buyer also sells quite a lot of stuff?

A nice little earner!

If you use a signed-for service, surely someone at the address has to sign to indicate that they have received the parcel. This should stop or at least reduce the number of scams.

On a more positive note I sold a set of seats from a 1974 Rover P6 last month. They were not in absolutely pristine condition but they were very good as a basis for restoration. The winner paid £1 for the lot, but as he knew that I was planning to move to France, he kindly gave me 5 Euros as well!

Posted by David Davis on 08/04/2014 08:05:35:

If you use a signed-for service, surely someone at the address has to sign to indicate that they have received the parcel. This should stop or at least reduce the number of scams.

True, but signed-for adds significantly to the postage costs. Personally I just guess what postage will be, and sometimes the signed-for option takes the cost over what I thought. Of course, I now tend to over-estimate, but we are now in a situation where the honest many bear the costs of the dis-honest few. It is a shame. I recently sold 10 packages of doll's items, between £10 and £20 each. One was "lost", I had to refund the buyer (who got a nice collection of items, already at a bargain price, for free).I knew it was an eBay scam because the buyer instantly launched a non-delivery dispute when it had gone just one day over the estimated date, instead of inquiring with me first.Plus, I simply don't believe Royal Mail lose 10% of their parcels.

I have a very accurate scale and a complete set of postage charges which can be printed off the Royal Mail Website.

I pack the item and weigh it BEFORE even listing it. Then I allow a little more and I NEVER send it without either Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery depending on value.

Only had one item go astray and that was genuine and has been described in this thread. It arrived in the end.

Look at it this way, you might lose a little on postage if you misscalculate but that has to be cheaper than losing the lot!

As Peter does I always send recorded but I have found that My Hermes is a much more efficient, and cheaper, service.

One major advantage is that you weigh the package on your kitchen scales and instead of the charges being calculated at £ per gram, meaning home weighing won't work with Royal Mail, there are weight categories. 1-2 kg, 2-5 kg, 5-10 kg etc. Much better, much more convenient and much cheaper than RM.

Sending options are better, they can collect from your own front door, or you drop off at your nearest My Hermes parcel shop. 20 pence surcharge to collect from your door! £50 compensation is included.

No, I don't work for My Hermes I just think it is much, much better than RM.

It's the FrSky Taranis answer to the Royal Mail.

Posted by John F on 08/04/2014 08:48:42:

Why is RCME so big on Taranis?The average,or even dedicated modeler, will not need a load of free open source software- it is for the multirotor FPV brigade.

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 12/04/2014 08:08:25

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 12/04/2014 08:08:53

Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 12/04/2014 08:08:02:

Why is RCME so big on Taranis?The average,or even dedicated modeler, will not need a load of free open source software- it is for the multirotor FPV brigade.

Really? I don't see that on the marketing blurb on their website. No-one else has ever mentioned that on here, nor in the magazine review.

I thought it was for everyone who has a use for it?

Posted by John F on 12/04/2014 08:34:37:
Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 12/04/2014 08:08:02:

Why is RCME so big on Taranis?The average,or even dedicated modeler, will not need a load of free open source software- it is for the multirotor FPV brigade.

Really? I don't see that on the marketing blurb on their website. No-one else has ever mentioned that on here, nor in the magazine review.

I thought it was for everyone who has a use for it?

What I intended to say was, it seems to me every thread on RCME has some reference to Taranis! Why?