Tom Wright 2 Corben Ace
Rentman Mini Tyro
Geoff Smith 1 Micro Telemaster
Piers Bowlan BB Super 60
ntsmith Phil Kraft Bar Fli
Bob Young KK Ladybird
julian Vic Smeed Ballerina
John Green Asro Hog

That's the round 50 now! Excellent! Still time to join in if you haven't done so yet and fancy a go...

Usual caveat on this list applies - if the details are wrong or your name is missing etc - just post below.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/01/2012 22:00:14

Advert

Hiya all, all these lovely old timers, models that is, Greenacres is gonna be great this year.
Be there or be square.

Geoff..........digging up old sayings dept.

I can see it now, brown tie up shoes, baggy trousers, baggy shirt and tie, sleeveless wooly home knitted jumper, short back and sides hair cut. And I'm the only one there looking like someone caught in a time warp . The missus would be posting pictures on Facebook just to take the rise .

Chris.

Posted by Big Bandit on 08/01/2012 08:22:58:
I can see it now, brown tie up shoes, baggy trousers, baggy shirt and tie, sleeveless wooly home knitted jumper, short back and sides hair cut. And I'm the only one there looking like someone caught in a time warp . The missus would be posting pictures on Facebook just to take the rise .

Chris.

Oi! Have you been looking through my wardrobe, Chris?

Pete

Posted by Pete B on 08/01/2012 09:32:40:

Chris.

Oi! Have you been looking through my wardrobe, Chris?

Pete

LOL .

BeB do you have to build a model for this event? my Kwick Fly, scaled up to 80", was built near 40 years ago by my mentor, i also have an orginal kiel Kraft southerner that needing overhaul, built in 1962 from a Kiel kit, would be nice to have some actual age there, OY TIMBO, you bring your Buff, and i will bring a tug to get it up there, mighty hots, 3W 80 twin, full tug spec!!!

whats the date again??

Chris.

Hiya Chris, already started sorting my wardrobe out. I have found a 'fair isle' jumper last used in a WW2 production I was in.

Cheers
Geoff............ reminiscing dept

All are welcome at the fly-in Alan - obvious this is a build thing - with a flying tail end (if you know what I mean!). No problems in you bringing the Kwik Fli along to Greenacres to fly it alongside all the other vintage models though!

Dates are 23rd/24th June.

BEB

PS Oh all right, you can bring your foamie if you want Tim - he'll sulk otherwise

No a mod should set an example!

If he's that much into gliders, get him to build a Keil Kraft Chief and I'll tow him up with the "works" Senior Telemaster! .

David! I thought you were my tug pilot! You mean you've been tugging someone else's glider? *sob* How could you? So that's where you've been when you said you were having an all-night modelling session. My mother warned me this would happen.

In the 1960's my dad started to build a Delta 707 39" free flight or r/c using a 1.5cc pusher engine from a 1957 plan in aeromodeller (original article and plan in my album). He never completed it as he decided to build a house instead so I've decided to complete it so he can see it fly. The airframe is mostly complete as can be seen from photos in my album. Instead of the pusher ic engine ( as hand launcing will be fun ) I thought looking at the space it might suit electric ducted fan 60mm possibly 70mm. Not sure about glue joints, they seem strong but it is 40 year old balsa cement. Airframe weight is about 400g. mini servos can be used in each wing and rudder

I can see where you are coming from with the EDF idea, Gavin, but that looks to be so nicely built it would be a shame to butcher it to fit a fan, IMHO.

A small, highish Kv brushless on the back with a Li-Po well forward would be my preferred course of action, perhaps fashioning a discreet finger and thumb hold on the fuse below the wing?

Pete

ps It might be worth starting a new thread, including the pictures, for this project. I'm sure others will be have some ideas, too!

Edited By Pete B on 09/01/2012 16:12:33

Hi Chaps, David Davis suggested I look in as it may help with my "Radio Interference" column in Sam 35 Speaks. I've not been a radio flyer albeit an aeromodeller since I was in short pants and now 60. You seem to have inspired me as I have dug out a Matador Kit and toyed with the notion of fitting my ( ex Bowden winning ) Giles 1.5cc twin. However, for use at my most local patch, electric would be more sensible. I have to hand a KD2217 Outrunner Brushless Motor, 40A speed controller and loads of suitable 3s packs. With over 200 watts I don't think I'll be short of power but you don't have to use it all! The plan does say 3" wheels but I will fit whatever looks the best from my stock. I will cover with polyester and Modelspan over the top which is my usual vintage covering method. Could use silk though as no messy fuel to damage it.

Can't start for a week or two as I must build some cupboard doors and compete my Stevens Aero indoor model for the next meeting.

I did note that the Gamine, which I put in the mag was a suggested design but of course I do have that one already, now engined with an Allouchery. The 0.6cc twin is now in a newly completed Chatterbox. I'll show pics once I figure out how to do this on my iPad........

Edited By Andy Brough on 10/01/2012 14:06:27

Andy,
you must have a ben buckle kit speccing 3" wheels - I have an original Mercury Matador plan and it specifies 2" wheels.

have you tried white polyspan with thin dope and tissue trim - strong and light. see pics of my Eaglet in my photo album for an example

john

John, Polyspan is a trade name for polyester tissue. I use the stuff Pauline at Flitehook sells in the lightweight form. Dope it on and heat shrink followed by a coat of thin dope. Then tissue applied wet on top. Looks just like tissue but far stronger. Reheat whole wing to remove any warps....somehow I have to use up my hundreds of sheets of tissue! Andy

Because it'll make a great model. I've had the plan for the best part of 20 years and was always going to built it free flight. Today I would fit a throttled Mills 1.3 which will swing a nice big prop and be quiet. It's a simple model if you've built similar models before. At least its a biplane without a complicated cabane structure.....go to it. If you go electric better men than me can sort you out.