Uploading photos?

Bob Cotsford

Advert

I resize my pictures to 1200 x 900 pixels to get a reasonable image size on screen and it won't cope with trying to upload more than two at a time to my album.

Same with the Photobucket account.

I never seem to get an upload speed of more than 15 kbps so it all takes ages......I wonder if the sites time out if the upload is too slow?

Pete

This is not the mag's fault - this is the policy of our broadband providers. You will see that every broadband has a much higher download rate than upload rate. Only if you are in a highly populated area where you can have a fibre connection it will be a bit faster.
I am in the countryside - so I have to wait....
Cheers VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 02/01/2012 14:56:12

I'm getting 79kbs upload. Vecchio, I'll try resizing down from the current 2Mb or so each, but as they upload to Photobucket in a matter of seconds I don't think it's the ISP limiting things, anyway for now I've used the PB image links for the Altair.

edit - resizing to 1200*900 worked, thanks Vecchio

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 02/01/2012 15:59:07

Don't understand any of it and 'er indoors the computer expert (for a living ! )doesn't either .That makes me feel better .We've tried everything believe me .AND apparently -We're not alone . A fellow forumites SWMBO (Mandy)sent me a detailed description on how to do it a while back .Says it all when he can't do it either !
Hi there Phil .

I've only done one. Tried, but the site keeps crashing, and going so slow, that I don't bother. Will try now, but not getting my hopes up.

Update: Gaah! FAIL!

Tried uploading one little tiddy file, 380k. Total lock out. C'mon chaps, lets get out of the Dark Ages and get it fixed.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 02/01/2012 18:49:40

Like you, Myron, I’m afraid I don’t understand it all too well either. So I just do it the easy way and just poke and hope. I’ve had much practise at that, as it happens, so perhaps that’s why it seems to work!

I simply drag the photo straight out of the camera straight onto the desktop. This is just for convenience, to avoid cluttering the photo album, at least to start with. The only slight problem with this is the fact that you just get the photo in the album as you took it, no chance of any touching up. Then I just open My Photos on the forum and just upload the photo to the album. I don’t do any resizing, a typical photo would be 1.6 MB, dimensions 2048 by 1536, my camera is only an oldish 3.1 Megapixel jobby.

Depending on the time of day, if the lines are busy it takes a little longer, but generally speaking it takes about a couple of minutes to upload a couple of photos, and it’s most unlikely I would want to upload more than this at the time anyway.

Actually, I’ve just been meddling again, and I’ve now discovered that you can drag the photo straight into the album from the desktop, but it’s not a big advantage, they still have to upload.

So, it might not really be that difficult, but as Vecchio has said, it’s possible you are already doing something like this anyway.

Now you have no excuse……

PB

Timbo
I can 't see the problem either .
I / we just want to be able to do what those that can do it- DO .I'm not the only one am I it seems ? I think maybe I just don't get all the things that you take for granted that us minority who think logically can't understand due to lack of understanding ? Bare in mind , I can't even send or receive a text message on a mobile phone or whatever 'cos I've never tried & don't want to .
I'll wait for someone in a white coat to come and take me away !
So very frustrating .

• 2 months later...

Maybe you can add this user story to the developer's backlog?

"As a Forum user I would like to upload photographs from my hard disk or other storage device directly and without having to upload them into a Model Flying User Album or external hosting service first. This will save me time and make it easier to share with the rest of the Community."

Apologies to all you Agile developers out there. smiley

I have to say it doesn’t seem to me to be particularly user unfriendly. I connected the printer recently, first time for ages, just in case I wanted to draw a little circuit diagram, scan it and upload it. I’d forgotten how the printer worked, and also this is a new computer, they'd not been introduced before, so that took a short while to get going but eventually I did try a dummy run, and now it will only take moments to get a print in a post if necessary, depending on how long it takes to upload. I’m reluctant to download apps like Photobucket if I don’t need to. In my case a photo seems to install into the photo album on the forum ok without any resizing.

I find other computer issues far more frustrating at times, the incompatibility of some things that can only be almost deliberately played for, and the amount of time I sometimes spend in working round these. Occasionally I have to admit defeat, such as tying to get the keyring video to run on this laptop, when it was perfect on the old one. This laptop has QTP version 10, the old one was version 7, (I think!), and I’m sure that’s the problem. Unfortunately, it seems that even the experts can’t tell what to do! And before anyone mentions the obvious, it won’t let me uninstall 10 and install 7 to try!

Myron, is it possible you can describe where you get stuck when uploading photographs? I use a Mac, which might be slightly different, but I’m sure a Windows operator can talk you through it? It seems to be only a case of clicking on boxes. Anything more than that and I’d soon be joining you in the land of photo-less sobriety, too!

PB

It is a bit of a pain not being able to upload directly from your own hard drive but on many sites where this is possible there are strict limits on the type and size of the image, typically 750 wide, presumably to limit the volume of traffic.

As a matter of course I use photo editing software to reduce all my images to this size both to avoid size problems when up loading and to save space on my hard drive!