February 2012 issue feedback

Advert

Posted by Major on 15/01/2012 00:54:11:
When is it gonna be availible in shops?? In magazine we can read "on sale 13th", have been looking for it, but found just nothing...

Got to admit, this is one of the benefits of subscribing; this is not the only mag I subscribe to, I have When Saturday Comes and Four Four Two which are both football mags and I still get them before they appear in the shops.

Not so sure about RCM&E though as this is the first time I've subscribed, but here in Godalming people are so stuck up that they don't have typical mags and this one is conspicuous through its absence; its all Country Life and yachts - even though we're over 50 miles away from the sea!

David -
thanks for link. I have seen that a few times, and don't know how, but missed that info. Thanks.

Steve -
of course You're right. Even my girlfriend says I should have subscribed about five months ago, as she somehow knew I will get hooked for longer in this hobby... And I will as soon as I find any !@%& job.

Hi Lee, the canopy rails are made from 1/8" aluminium square section. I slotted them using a simple jig. The runners are made up from 1/32 ply, with tiny (0.93mm) brass machine screws threaded into the ply (I am rubbish at BA sizes but the number 12BA sticks in my mind). The whole lot isn't finished yet so am a bit reluctant to say too much in case it doesn't work/slide, you know what it's like best laid plans and all
I can certainly show how I slotted the rails if that is of any help?
Thanks for the suggestion, any others just let me know.
Cheers
Danny

Had a read through - at least some of it - last night. A great issue I thought - the aerotow 10 points was very interesting. And a few less reviews doesn't bother me at all! Though the Futaba review was welcome - interesting strategy Futaba seem to be following here.

The new column is excellent Danny - just what we needed - great to get really practical advice from somone who's "been there"! Looking forward to the next one already! Keep up the good work mate - No pressure you understand

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/01/2012 14:09:04

Did anybody else receive their plans in this months issue in two bits!?

Mine appear to have been neatly cut horizontally right across and when trying to line the two bits up there seems to be a bit missing!

Loving the look of Taboo though, very pretty sleek looking 'plane.

To Graham A - re your DB SE5 build, page 80 ->>

You mention getting MDF, for your building board, from B&Q but where did you eventually get your "preferred fibre/insulation" board from, and what is it?>>

Additionally, assuming its possible to get a piece of straight, flat MDF, how do you keep it straight over time? What thickness of MDF would you recommend?>>

Sorry to be a pest but, as a newly retired newbie to the hobby I'm trying to put together a workshop and it seems to me that a good building board is requirement no 1.>>

And sorry if this is in the wrong thread but didn't know where else to ask the question and thanks in advance - Ian>>

Well my copy arrived today the 17th here in Kiwiland (Thats tomorrow for those of you on GMT +0hrs). As per normal looks good and it always surprises me how fast mine appears in the letterbox! In fact this time the inks not even dry as it is smudging as I take a quick peek at Danny's article or is that because he's our newest scribe?

I am not joking about the smudging either might have to let it cure a bit or it will be unreadable.

Regards Kiwikanfli (Inverted!!)

IanR for building board advice have a look at

and

for some good thoughts on building boards. There are links in these too other threads too

Edit: Forget just those two links Ian. Looking through those found me the definitive list of building board threads Here

Edited By Chris Bott on 17/01/2012 09:44:33

Thanks, David, Thanks, Chris

Yes, I'll start looking through those threads in a minute.

Interesting that a simple "search" brought up all those threads. But my problem appears to have been that "search" hadn't been working properly for me. Neither was I able to post on the Forum. I'm on Windows 7 and IE 9.

Anyway, I discovered someone's suggestion re clicking on "Compatibility View" in IE 9's Tools menu and, lo and behold, I'm suddenly able to post. So in went my plea for building board details and off I went to bed.

This morning, after reading Chris' suggestion I try a couple of searches and find that, now, its also working. Great. This site just keeps getting better!

Thanks again.
Ian

Hi Ian, that fibre board was from a local builders' merchant and is simply called 'fibre insulation board', which probably doesn't help much. Drop me an email with your address and, if you like, I'll send you a small sample which you can take into your local merchant for a match.

The MDF is about 18mm thick but I've got it pretty well supported all the way along. If you have the space, a cheap B&Q door on a couple of A-frames can make a very good building board - very solid and won't warp.