Yak, how difficult to fly?

flyeruk

I have been looking at a couple of Yaks flying recently. My question is,at what stage of flying ability should i be at to be able to fly a Yak?

Edited By flyeruk on 17/01/2012 20:40:23

Edited By flyeruk on 17/01/2012 20:41:20

Advert

if you can handle a low winger, put it where it should go, get out of dodgy situations, do basic aerobatics, then you will be ok, the yaks have large control surfaces, and would have to be well assembled, put smaller movements on the ailerons and elevator, learn to use expo as you increase the movements, as long as you are aware of your limitations, you should be ok

I've been looking for an answer to a similar question. There is the Yak, Cap, Sukhoi, Extra etc etc that all look very similar, but which is the tamest to fly?

I think the answer to your question would be to fly it, intermediate, to fly it well with a much reduced chance of going home with matchsticks, advanced.

Ditto Alan 4. The Yak, Cap, Sukhoi & Extra are very similar frames. Regardles of their size, they fly the same way. Start on low rates with expo if you know how to use it 30 - 50 %. Keep your stick movements smooth. These frames respond fairly immediately.

Height IS safety when flying these birds for the first time. Use it, and the tools in your TX, rates/expo/epa settings etc, and you'll get the best out of them. Don't be afraid to go back on a buddy lead if necessary with a pilot who you know flys this type of kit.

All good advice but standing back a little, one thing that's struck me about popular scale or semi-scale aerobats like Extras, Edges, Yaks and Sukhois is just how pure they are....for want of a word.

They do have their individual traits that can become apparent after you've gained some experience but these are far less obvious if you're coming up from a WOT4 say, then the first thing that'll strike you is just how clean they are - as BB says, they can be very responsive fast, smooth and a pure reflection of what the pilot is doing at the sticks. They'll do whatever they're set up to do in terms of rates and expo without asking the pilot to cope with any unwanted characteristics (generally speaking). 

I'd say it's sensible to be close to your 'B' certificate in terms of flying ability. Progressing from a low-wing trainer and starting on low rates is fine but you do need to be able to fly your models all the way in for landing - these aeroplanes aren't 'cut and glide' machines and they'll often punish the pilot who tries.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 18/01/2012 08:05:39

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 18/01/2012 08:03:36:

I'd say it's sensible to be close to your 'B' certificate in terms of flying ability. Progressing from a low-wing trainer and starting on low rates is fine but you do need to be able to fly your models all the way in for landing - these aeroplanes aren't 'cut and glide' machines and they'll often punish the pilot who tries.

Totally agree with David. You do need to 'Fly' them in. Cut & glide (cool term), especially before/during that last leg final turn will see you carrying a bin bag to pick up the remnants of a stall you didn't see happen, its that quick!

Being nearer the 'B' cert is also good advice. No 'B', how about practising the 'clubman schedule'. Getting that down alone will give your confidence a boost.

BB

Hold on to your kilts ladies, something weird is going to happen! I am going to agree with David here anyone can say turn rates down and it's fine but I have seen many pilots used to flying lightly loaded big winged sporters that are stupidly forgiving and they pull them round at such a low airspeed it makes me wince, some of these guys go on to purchase yaks etc, and then treat them the same, I whatch from a distance waiting for the inevitable. Eventually it happens and the flyer is at a loss for what went wrong, it generally happens after the downwind leg, now I am not saying they are difficult to fly, they are not, bit they need to be flown differently to your wot 4 or calmato, throttle management and rudder use is essential, my advice is to make sure you can fly something with a heavier wing loading like an acrowot first, having said that my seagull yak is the only aircraft I have ever replaced after a crash and I would do so tomorrow if it happened again

Posted by Lee Smalley on 18/01/2012 08:23:25:
seagull yak is the only aircraft I have ever replaced after a crash and I would do so tomorrow if it happened again

Mines still in the box awaiting assembly. This season ..... Maybe
BB

P.S.  Aero's into wind !  Seen many come a cropper down wind with low practising aeros.  Ask me how I know !  Wer'e all learning....sometimes hehehe

Edited By BB on 18/01/2012 08:30:21

Not all Yaks are the same I have a small electric Yak 54 in the rafters in my garage, I've retired it as I was fed up with the constant tip stall and also the very poor undercarriage mount. It was very aerobatic but had very vicious stall characteristics (great for entering spins!), so I'd say read up on the particular version you are planning to get.

I retired it when I took the electrics out to fit into my PA Addiction, now there is a very nice low wing aerobat to learn 3D on, not scale but the flying characteristics are really nice.

Posted by Lee Smalley on 18/01/2012 08:30:40:
Noooooooooooooooooo!!! get it done you girl

you know you want to!!!

Edited By Lee Smalley on 18/01/2012 08:31:04

Sings.....Madona, "Like a Virgin, touched (not yet) for the very first time"

" down wind aeros are not a problem you just have to remember you need more of everything, throttle rudder elevator!!!! "

Ain't nothing funnier than (me aka Flask 'Arry, remembering the Rudder & the Elevator.  Then forgetting the throttle !  Pancake !! right in front me

Correctto Mundo Sire

Edited By BB on 18/01/2012 08:46:16

I got an E-flite Extra 260 480 as a follow on from an 18" Minium.. !!
Yes, it's not a floater, you have to bring it in, to avoid a stall, BUT, it's got fantastic vertical power, and I found it EASY to throw around the sky...
Once you've got height, theres no fear... Its so ROCK-SOLID in the air...

Since then i've built foam versions, and they're even better, as theres no fear of a pile of matchsticks, just glue it back together (should the worst happen)

Biggest problem for me and plently of others, is the gear ripping off.. Just not that strong.. !!

HTH's

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

I agree with pretty well all of this. I have an Extreme Flight Extra - lovely model - but it rewards concentration!

All good points - this model has to be "flown" 100% of the time. Yes, very agile, very responsive and smooth. But also it can be unforgiving, in that it punishes sloppy flying with a sudden change of character with no warning. Its this last point which is the critical one in my view, this model will switch from "flying" to "dropping" without going through that vague mushy warning phase most others exhibit. Oh, the warning signs are there - if you know where to look and are very observant - but they are tiny, tiny, hints of the disaster to come!

But keep the speed up, know how to handle the rudder and don't push your luck until you are really sure you fully understand it and you'll be fine.

BEB

One point I would make on this topic is that one Yak 54 or 55 (same with Edges Extras and CAPs) will not necessarily fly the same as another. In the model world manufacturers do use different wing sections/airfoils which can have a differing affect on handling and manners of the model.

Thanks for the very informative replies.I know my flying is still a long way away to handle a plane like the Yak. I will concentrate on flying the Wot.Hopefully, my Pulse xt will be back in the air over the next few weeks so will get some stick time on that.