March 2012 Issue Feedback

Seamus O'Leprosy

If I remember Major, Aeromodeller used to do that with their plans - there was a list in a corner saying what was needed in regards, balsa, ply, wire, etc.

I suppose nowadays with the plethora of bits and pieces that go into a model it is proving tricky to say exactly how much of what is required (especially as most of us get a strange tendency now and again to do things our own way and not quite follow the instructions)

Advert

The subject of estimating wood comes up on a regular basis. I had an article on the subject in the July 2005 issue of RCM&E.

Some time ago David said that he would try and put this on the forum as it was such a regular request.

Not sure if he ever managed to do that but you could look for it or ask him again.

Peter, as the man who initially put pen to paper and scalpel to balsa, is it difficult to provide this info?
I have build from quite a few plans and if post construction someone asked how much wood I used, I wouldn't have a clue.
I suppose estimates would do 5 sheets of this 2 of that etc,

Edited By Seamus O'Leprosy on 11/02/2012 09:32:29

The spelling mistakes and the usage of word with the same sound but a meaning other than intended, resonates with me.

I suspect that this often occurs as a consequence of the keyboard, interfering with clear thoughts. I spend more than a little time considering where the letters are located on the key pad. A consequence can be that I do not consider as fully what is being written as I would using a pen or pencil. I also find that I often miss words out in the text, which I had thought. The litenay of issues that the key board causes, for those of us who are not touch typists goes on and on.

Of course there are many advantages with a computer. You can plan the content, if you are so inclined. In addition to being able to amend the text easily.

I have found that at times I have amended a word, only to find, it is still incorrect, when subsequently re-read. I guess it is me, though I do not know how I can do it.

As for the mag. it came at an opportune moment, as I have spent 2 days in Lyham, picking up my granddaughter from school etc. So a good read was appreciated

Yes, I know, but those plans are old. Currently I'm preparing myself to build PZL Wilga 35.
The problem for me will be making control surfaces, inserting servos in correct positions etc. This is not like Sharky, will be harder. But the advantage of this plan is ready "shopping list". Today I'm gonna print this plan and visit shop, as will need more wood - and can buy everything in one go. So I guess, that ribs and formers will be cut before parts for my Sharkie arrive.

Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 11/02/2012 09:30:21:
Peter, as the man who initially put pen to paper and scalpel to balsa, is it difficult to provide this info?
I have build from quite a few plans and if post construction someone asked how much wood I used, I wouldn't have a clue.
I suppose estimates would do 5 sheets of this 2 of that etc,

Edited By Seamus O'Leprosy on 11/02/2012 09:32:29

That's what I mean. I have seen some posts here about this, but couldn't find them right now. Anyway, it's often request.

Cheers
Tom

Regarding the 'balsa required list' issue;

If you're building your first model from a plan, then it;s pretty easy to work out how much wood you've used because you'll have had to buy it all!

Not so easy when you've a fullbox of half sheets of balsa, and your set of wing ribs gets cut from several part-sheets......

tim

Tim is quite right, most of us have enough scrap to build some models. However it really doesn't take long to roughly estimate out what you need, and is a good oppoertunity to really ensure you understand the plans.
I spent a pleasant evening at the Nats last year going through John Ransons 100 inch Lanc plans with Chris Bott, so that he could buy the wood the next day from SLEC. It possibly would have been more accurate without having frequented the beer tent first! Cheers Danny

David’s article on propellers was a super piece, it certainly isn’t his fault that a few typos crept through, I should have picked them up along the way but, as is often the case in the real world, things don’t always go perfectly to plan and in juggling all the balls that one must keep airborne during the last few days of the production schedule, things can get missed, and often do. I fear this will always be the case and all we can do is try our damnedest to catch them before the deadline. There are near-on 50,000 words in each issue of RCM&E and I can assure you that the only way to remove each and every mistake would be to double our staff, shut down the phone lines, lock ourselves in a quiet room and appear very, very rude for a week. This isn’t really an option.

I get the impression, Graham, that RCME is run on a bit of a shoestring. Are you and David the only permanent editorial staff? If so, it's not surprising that typos and grammos slip through the net. All stuff that comes into the magazines I write for is read by at least three different people at various stages of the production process. First by the sub editor on receipt of copy. Secondly by the deputy editor when the sub has trimmed it to the right length and picked up the initial batch of errors. And finally by the editor at page proof stage. A few mistakes slip through the first two stages and are picked up at the last minute. As a result we have very few printed errors.

Regards.

Frankly I couldnt care less if theres a couple of tiny spelling mistakes etc, you try your best to bring us an interesting magazine every month with information, ideas and articles that would cost a lot more than the cover price to find out for ourselves and throw in a mostly free website where people are on hand 24 hours a day with the running and everything else it entails, If all the odd grumpy old pedants ( who dont actually contribute any articles ? ) have got to moan about is a spelling mistake here or there I`d say you`re doing a fine job

Its a good magazine
Are some forgetting the excellent pictures,photos , diagrams,
Reviews of latest products, events , not to mention the free plans and plan builds, .
Its a shame the forum side needed to be spoilt by people moaning about a few spelling mistakes .
Jeeze guys , get over it and thank the editorial staff for doing the great job they do..
Remember they also have to find the time to moderate this as well as fly...

Well from a kiwi who cant spell that well anyway

Good on the staff of RCME
Keep up the good work .

Opps a few blues in that lot there, WHO CARES!!!

Posted by kiwi g on 11/02/2012 21:39:07:
Its a good magazine
Are some forgetting the excellent pictures,photos , diagrams,
Reviews of latest products, events , not to mention the free plans and plan builds, .

I absolutely agree. After all, I'm a subscriber, and enjoy every issue.
As the general consensus of this forum is that typos and grammos don't matter, I undertake never to mention the subject again.

Best wishes

Poor Tony had a roasting this morning.Its something that Ive never worried about,but see it in newspapers ,and books read also ,and I do read profusely,only socially.I Love RCM and E .When it arrive on my doorstep my schedule for the day changes.Its into the lounge and read from cover to cover.Then during the month I re read some articles and enjoy everything about it.Its the only mag.or newspaper I purchase.

Anyhow, stepping aside (but not forgetting spelling mistakes....how could we ).....here's a call I got in the office recently that made me smile.

The (very passionate) caller started with the line

"...now about all the foam models you review"

There was a pause while I waited for the next line that I assumed would include the words "more balsa, more trad building etc." but it turned out to be.......

".....there's not enough of it!"
"......I want to see more foamies reviewed, lots more and I hate that old-fashioned balsa"

The chap went on to explain how he'd recently taught himself to fly and how he'd always wanted a Spit and how the larger foamie models were just the ticket and he loved them to bits. Don't worry, it won't happen but just goes to show how diverse the hobby is these days?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 12/02/2012 12:19:35

The foamie thing is a bit of a conundrum I have a Cularis, Acromaster, Skyfun and Kinetic and take them to the flying site with no shame what so ever.
I never had a P51 and there is a lovely foam Beutyfull Doll 1.6mtr one ready to go for 150ish quid.
Or I could buy a Topflite giant P51 ARTF or kit with Robarts and petrol engine for about 600 quid.
But is my "shame" of flying a foamie warbird worth ?450?

Seems to me that foamies are just another species of ARTF. But whereas you can marvel at the fantastic design and super-lightweight construction of 'trad' ARTFs (!), foamies seem somehow to be even further removed from 'proper' aeromodelling.

But if they are able to undercut the price of the former, the 'buy and fly' fraternity (and I confess to being one, on occasion) are unlikely to let that bother them - particularly in the current economic climate. And I'm sure the content of the magazine will quite rightly follow the interests of its readers - as it always has.

Best wishes