Paypal - advice please

avtur

I tried to open a Paypal account a couple of years ago, something went wrong I ended up inundated will all manner of emails some of which just didn't look right, I reponed to a couple didn't get replies so I stepped back and left it. Left me feeling very uneasy about Paypal.

Things have moved on, there seem to be a lot of online retailers that will only take payment via Paypal so I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try again, I'm sure many folks on here a perfectly satisified Paypal customers so could you give me some clues on setting up an account, does it have to be linked to a bank accoun or credit card? Can you preload funds into the account and then spend from that (like a prepaid credit card)

Any hints, tips guidance, good/bad experiences much appciated.

Advert

My PP account draws off my credit card, my thinking being that if there were any funny business, hopefully the CC company would be on my side and be a usefull 'big gun ' on my side. However, in the 5 years + that I have been using ebay and PP I have not had any bother at all.

That said, you must be aware of any e-mails that puport to come from ebay / paypal, never click on any link in any e-mail. Always go to the relevant site through a known link where any genuine message will be repeated and waiting for you there.

I find PP cvonvenient as a buyer. I rarely sell anything so can't comment on fees etc.

stu k

I've been a user for 11 years and never had a problem. My account is linked to a card, and to be honest I'd rather pay by PayPal rather than send my credit card detils to yet another on line retailer.

One word of advice, NEVER click on a paypal link in any email, always open a new browser window and type in the paypal address. It;s one sure way to avoid being phished.

Andy

I'm the same here - I have Paypal linked to my debit card and never have a problem. Paypal does make a small handling charge, but to be honest, it's not as painful as the handling charge from the bank for converting sterling to dollars.

I have had spoof e-mails - but I just ignore them. The only ones I bother about are the ones that confirm my payment and an odd one or two that are making an 'offer' (which I ignore anyway after reading them). Normally my junk filter takes out anything that is suss (and Paypal stuff not coming from Paypal ends up in the bin automatically)

Use another email.

I use paypal @xxxxxxx.co.uk and [email protected] uk then I know that only those come in there, anything alse is spam, also I am not as likely to miss an email.

As has been said, best to use a credit card, and keep the card in credit if you want to avoid interest, but at least you have some extra protection, unlike a bank account or debit card.

Paypal had a very bad name a few years ago, they had to clean up their act. (ie one of their rules was that you could not complain to your card company!!!)

Never had a problem with Paypal in 5 years. Registration was easy. Just have to remember to update C/card details every couple of years (but, only through my paypal account) not via the spam reminder that finds its way to my inbox.

Truth be told where possible one has more protection using a credit card. If you purchase from a seller on Ebay and you do get payment options it is better to use a credit card directly. The reason is this; If you do use a Credit Card registered via Paypal and make payment through a Paypal account by default, you have agreed to be bound by their T&C agreement, not your credit card companys'. I.E. When / if there is a dispute and Paypal doesn't resolve the issue, you have no rights under the consumer credit act to then seek resolve through your credit card company. You have to be prepared to read the small print in these matters I believe:  And there are limited liabilities contained with the Paypal T&C's.  Which don't exist within a standard credit card agreement.

I'd never register a Debit Card with Paypal. I never use a Debit Card online at all.

BB

Edited By BB on 27/02/2012 07:23:01

Another vote for Paypal from me to....I have it linked to a credit card that I ONLY use for online transactions so I can check the statement carefully.

Never had a problem in many, many years & useful for transfering monies around.....used it recently to allow a German colleague from work to pay me for some whisky I had bought for him.....

It just does what it says on the tin!!!

Posted by Steve W-O on 27/02/2012 09:06:23:

Paypals agreement (or anyone elses) can not reduce thr rights you are entitled to by any legislation.

There are exclusions:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-risks-using-Paypal-yahoofinanceuk-26509032.html

Paragraph 3:

Does Paypal actually offer extra protection?

Section 75 of the Credit Consumer Act (legislation).

Also, purchases of less than £100 will not be covered via your CC'd resolution protocol.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/31/creditcards-31.htm

Never had a problem with paypal myself and use it wherever I can, but I have heard there can be a problem if selling stuff if it is collected. Not sure if it is true but it goeslike this:

You sell on ebay, person pays by paypal, person collects, then person says seller has defaulted so gets their money back through paypal. You don't realise until it is too late and you cannot prove they've collected said item.

As I say I'm not sure if it is true, but if I'm selling I say cash on collection.

The problem of e-mails purporting to come from PayPal is not confined to them. I would expect that every one with an e-mail account has had Emails that purport to come from their banks and other business where you possibly obtain a service. All warning that unless you respond, some account or service will be suspended until some information is provided. Just to verify you are the bonafide account holder. sad

I also get emails from Parcel services (logistic face 18) with respect to some item, I never reply.

All will be scams of some sort. No reason to suspect Paypal to be any different.

Posted by Erfolg on 03/03/2012 13:57:27:

The problem of e-mails purporting to come from PayPal is not confined to them. I would expect that every one with an e-mail account has had Emails that purport to come from their banks and other business where you possibly obtain a service. All warning that unless you respond, some account or service will be suspended until some information is provided. Just to verify you are the bonafide account holder. sad

I also get emails from Parcel services (logistic face 18) with respect to some item, I never reply.

All will be scams of some sort. No reason to suspect Paypal to be any different.

I just had a very believable email supposedly from my credit card compay. Obviously a fraud.

I have used Paypal for years both buying and selling, never had a problem. The beauty of the system is that your buyer or seller never has any financial information only your email address and your home address. Paypal itself may be laible to errors or bad judgement like any other organisation.

From my own limited experiences, the pervayer of fraudulent Emails or even telephone calls, try to lead you, bit by bit, to reveal a little bit more information. They seldom will say , give us your password. They may say after some discourse, can we have your password etc., to check it corresponds to our records.

At what point the alarms ring will vary.