Anyone flying sailplanes using a Turnigy 9X radio?

Turnigy 9X - for sailplanes?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----
No, I am not looking for a new radio, but this radio is so inexpensive
and has such a feature rich offering, on paper, that I was wondering if it was
good enough to recommend to new glider pilots who can not afford a
more expensive sailplane radio.

The Turnigy 9X costs costs $60 US including an 8 channel receiver. It
says it has sailplane SW, but what a manual tells me is not what a
pilot on the sticks can tell me about using it for full house
sailplanes.

The radios I most often recommend are the Futaba 8FG, JR 9503, Hitec
Aurora 9 or Artronics SD-10G. But not all new pilots can afford them.
If this 9X is reliable it might make a good alternative to a Spektrum
DX6i, which is what many start with who are on limited budgets.

Does the Turnigy 9X cut it? Is it reliable? Does it have the mixes a
sport or entry level competition pilot might want?

Please don't tell me about other radios. I am not interested in
hearing about them. I am interested in hearing about this one from an
actual owner/user who has some experience with it. The report can be
negative or positive, I don't care. I just want to know what you
think.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Ed Anderson
Eternally in Research Mode

Edited By David Ashby on 04/03/2012 06:20:03

Advert

I have one as a set that I can leave in the car when doing my calls and wouldn't be too upset at its loss.

Anyway it works fine no problems with it the sticks have a nice feel. The downside for me is the clunky programming and buttons. They work ok buts it's hard work setting it up for mixes, rates, expo, etc.

I haven't heard of anyone loosing a signal with one.

Its perfect with my Blaze mate and despite the brand snobs, its a fantastic radio! Ditched my "named" 6 channel and this is my primary radio, never lost signal to nearly out of sight!! Go for it! and yes its fully legal both here and in France Dave

Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 04/03/2012 09:42:31:

Let's not drive Ed mad here by going off topic it is LEGAL as it's on sale in the German warehouse also.

Not sure about that availability Seamus; I've just scrolled through the 14 pages of stuff available from the German warehouse and couldn't see it listed.question

Posted by Devon Flyer on 04/03/2012 09:57:54:
Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 04/03/2012 09:42:31:

Let's not drive Ed mad here by going off topic it is LEGAL as it's on sale in the German warehouse also.

Not sure about that availability Seamus; I've just scrolled through the 14 pages of stuff available from the German warehouse and couldn't see it listed.question

Let's not drive Ed mad by going off topic

David, thanks for reminding me about the link process. This is the only forum I visit that doesn't allow standard links to be posted.

EZ-Hawk, thanks for the report. What RF module are you using? How long have you had it? Have you done firmware updates? Have you added any hardware to the unit?

When it first came out there were all kinds of problems. Sounds like yours has been reliable. Before I put a $2000 glider up 1/2 mile and out 1/2 mile with something like this I am going to want to be confident it is reliable in HW, SW and RF link.

Personally I am a committed Futaba FASST pilot for my high end thermal duration gliders. I fly Spektrum or 72 MHz for my small electrics and slope gliders. So this radio is not for me ... yet.

My real goal is to see if I can recommend it as a low cost platform for new pilots.

I have been using them for more than 2 years now, without any problem.

The V2 is as good as anything else, it is CE marked, and the build quality (a let down on the earlier ones) is as good as any major brand I have opened.

I have updated my firmware, and use the ER9X firmware, it gives it more mixes and flexibility than anything else around.

I don't see any problem recommending it, after all if you believe the reports, there are other makes that seem to have a lot of problems, which I might hesitate in suggesting.

I have tested the range at well over 1/2 mile.

The only current limtation is the number of model memories.

It was available in the German warehouse at the beginning of the year (but backorder only). I eventually got mine a week ago. It was also listed on the Hong Kong site (but isn't there either) at a lower price

The only 'problem' I can see is the battery container which, when it gets loaded up with 8 AA cells doesn't quite fit (but I have seen that in other transmitters and things). At a guess the guy designining the plastic casee was just handed an empty battery container and didn't realise that the batteries actually sit proud of the edges. You can fith a lot of fighting, get it squeezed on (but then you charge via the charging port on the side and don't need to worry about opening it again)

I've also (again on back order) the add-on programming board fot flashing the EEPROM from Smartieparts which will let you flash the ER9X firmware (and add a backlight, etc)

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 04/03/2012 15:49:45:

It was available in the German warehouse at the beginning of the year (but backorder only). I eventually got mine a week ago. It was also listed on the Hong Kong site (but isn't there either) at a lower price

The only 'problem' I can see is the battery container which, when it gets loaded up with 8 AA cells doesn't quite fit (but I have seen that in other transmitters and things). At a guess the guy designining the plastic casee was just handed an empty battery container and didn't realise that the batteries actually sit proud of the edges. You can fith a lot of fighting, get it squeezed on (but then you charge via the charging port on the side and don't need to worry about opening it again)

I've also (again on back order) the add-on programming board fot flashing the EEPROM from Smartieparts which will let you flash the ER9X firmware (and add a backlight, etc)

The Smartiparts board saves a little work, but it is very easy to do without, and a lot cheaper.

I put my programming socket behind the battery, a lot neater (can't see it) and protected from dirt and water.

And a lipo fits in fine, and lasts for ages.

HK sell very nice backlights in various colours, and inexpensive.

The blue

Edited By Steve W-O on 04/03/2012 16:40:09

Hi Ed

I just use it standard! The module that came with it and bought a few extra RX's to go in my planes and VERY happy with it, had it quite a while now! No back light mods for me and I use NIMIH batts in the standard battery holder (yep it is a bit tight but you get used to it and it "gives" after a while! Loads of info available online on how to programme / mix! I have even sussed out the programming for my F16 vectored jet to do all kinds of stuff!! Good luck mate....Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I have continued my research on this radio system across a number of forums and have accumulated a lot of information. I have become convinced that, with the flashed SW and the FrSky module this radio is reliable enough that it can be used for full house TD sailplanes. Now let me get your opinions. Based on what I have read, I should be able to replicate the set-up that I am using on my Futaba 9C Super.

Here is my typical mix and switch set for my full house pure gliders, such as my Supra. These are all predefined mixes in my 9C Super. All servos are on their own channels using 7 channel receiver. In the Futaba 9C these mixes are predefined so I just select them and fill in the percentages. In the 9X I imagine we have to build them.

The 9C has 8 switches (2 3X) 3 dials and two sliders. In this set-up I don't use the silders or the dials.

Basic stuff = end point, sub trim, servo reverse

[B]Always on[/B]

Aileron differential of about 60%
Flap to elevator on left stick for landing control.
On some I use crow/butterfly rather than just flaps.

[B]Flight modes - The following are on switches so I can go to presets[/B].

Launch, cruise and reflex are one a single 3 way switch.

Launch - full trailing edge (flaps and ailerons) down 20%
cruise - normal flight
reflex- trailing edge up about 2 mm with elevator trim change
thermal - trailing edge down about 4mm with elevator trim change

[B]On switches so I can add or remove the mix in flight[/B]

aileron to rudder - Like to fly rudder manually in thermals.
Expo on a single switch that changes expor for ailerons, and elevator to about about 50%, when in thermals.
Aileron to flaps so flaps follow at about 50% down and 10% up - used mostly in wind
Timer so I can time my flight - beeps every minute and beeps every second from 9:50 to 10 minutes, but keeps going if I don't stop it.

For an e-glider I would put throttle on a switch, 3 way if, possible.

Would these all be possible? Or am I asking too much of this software? I think there are enough switches but I think I am short one 3 way if I want throttle on a 3 way.

Some of our club contest pilots have more advanced radios and much more complex set-ups than this, with variable expo and trim changes in each flight mode. Some have flap to elevator on the first 50% on the left stick, then crow starts to come in for remaining 50% of stick travel.

However, if the 9X can do what my 9C is doing that would be quite sufficient in my opinion. I would then move forward with a recommendation to the club that we get one and start working with it to create a lower cost sailplane radio option for our new pilots.

• 3 weeks later...

I think all that's possible with the ER9X software. Did you know there's a PC emulator, so you can try the mixes and test the operation on the PC without even owning the transmitter?

Regarding throttle, I put the motor on the top 3/8 of the throttle travel, and brakes on the bottom 1/2, with a centre beep to remind me. A second 3 way switch would be very handy, and I keep meaning to fit one in place of one of the three pots which I can't imagine ever wanting to us inflight.

• 1 month later...

I'm a complete beginner, and I'm lucky enough to have both a Dxi6 and a Turnigy9x to compare:

From the box:

Turnigy wins as it's a fraction of the Spektrum's cost

Turnigy wins as it's 9 ch against the 6x 6

Turnigy wins as it came with 3 recievers, Spektrum only one (Spektrum is smaller and easier to place)

Set up:

The Turnigy battery cover is horrible. I got it on, one day I'll have to contemplate how to get it off again..

Binding: same/same

Spektrum wins on the manual. It has one! Nothing included with Turnigy and every thing on the Web is chinglish; though there are dedicated fora, they tend to focus on modded set ups.

Spektrum wins in "feel quality", Turnigy feels cheap

Spektrum wins in software, Turnigy even has spelling mistakes, some very confusing.

Spektrum wins in control quality, fells nice and smooth, Turnigy "+" & "-" buttons worked reversed, Turnigy software clumsy to use, took an extra attempt each time to get stuff set.

However, wierdly, Turnigy programming, despite the clunky interface, is slightly more intuitive than Spektum. I may have needed to fight the interface, but it was slightly easier to know which button to fight with.

In use: Spektrum / FMS mini spitfire Turnigy / Dynam 185 elktro glider (Seperate aerliron channels)

Profiles:

Spektrum only two types: 'Plane and Heli, Turnigy has an extra Glider profile.

As far as I can see choosing glider disables the throttle channel and offers a couple of pre programmed mixes, but I'm still very hazy on what a lot of these are ("Butterfly", "V tail" etc).

The Turnigy throttle needed reversing on choosing the airplane profile, this meant my first couple of attempts setting up my glider booted in full throttle, which set my ESC off... all very confusing for a beginner. On the other hand I've had my Spit/Spektrum's motor burst into life by pressing the roller at an inappropriate time on the work bench..

Why would you feel the need for four different throttle curves if you already and additionaly have both dual rates, and both dual rates have their own expo settings, for example?

Half my confusion with either Tx is confusion with R/C in general as a newcomer...

But anyway..

In flight both are equally smooth and work as expected, as far away as I dare fly them.

Edited By Rex Keene on 02/06/2012 11:05:04

Actually regarding the software, most people modify the 9x (Turnigy, Eurgle, whatever) to ER9x standard which fixes the software problems as well as expanding the model memory

The battery cover always was a problem (and not just in the TR9x - I've a 4 channel 35 MHz tx which is exactly the same) - it takes brute force to get the lid back on. One 'cure' is to use a 1500 mAh LiFe instead of the battery pack supplied

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 02/06/2012 12:31:14

I have gathered up a TON of info on this radio. I started a thread on RC Groups that is full of links. As it is a little cumbersome to post a lot of links here, let me just point you to the one post that has all the links and video clips.  I hope I did the link correctly.

9X - FlySky/iMax/Turnigy/Eurgle FOR DUMMIES

What you will find at this link are reference sources, videos and such for the standard software as well as information about how to make common hardware changes, software updates and how to program it using the ER9X software update

Quick summary that will explain a lot

BTW, David A.  Your link in the second post of this thread to the "linky process" goes nowhere when I click it as I wanted to be sure to do the link properly. I clicked the link icon and inserted my link using that.  Hope that was OK.

Edited By Ed Anderson on 02/06/2012 15:08:08

Edited By Ed Anderson on 02/06/2012 15:09:05