Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/03/2012 10:10:08:

DF it's not links particularly that mess up the page on here, it's long strings of characters with no spaces in between.

Good job they ain't opening a warehouse in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch ................. wink 2

Advert

I had assumed that Bristol or Liverpool were cheaper to deliver to, by ship. I guess it comes down to a number of other issues.

I guess costs of operating the very largest containerships is reduced enough to make a difference. I also guess, if you are located next to a major port, more ships will be delivering, again increasing shipping options, I also guess that good land transport links are also a must. Finally for many shipments reduction of land transport costs are important, on that basis I would expect London to be a preferred port.

I guess for the UK Hobby lobby, being next to or part of a port complex reduces the transport cost to the warehouse. The postal service being standard cost where ever located in the UK.

In know that Manchester declined as a port because Europe became more important to the UK than North and South America, plus it was to small for the current ships.

In the case of Liverpool its total tonnage was 1/2 Felixstowe. I was very surprised and can not understand that Manchester still has a significant tonnage, I just cannot see how.

Many things do not seem to make sense to me , in that Illingham and Grimsby have the largest import of Cars to the UK. This can only be transshipment to Europe, can it not? Again west coast ports seem to make more sense without transshipment.

I reckon they should relocate to North Devon.

Clovelly has a decent harbour and transport times have been drastically reduced since the donkeys were replaced with a Land Rover.

There's even a twice weekly bus service to Barnstaple and the Posties now have bicycles..............

• 4 weeks later...

So they're coming to my neck of the woods? - I drive past Bentwaters everyday both to and from work. Better not tell the better half - although she did buy me a quarter scale DB Sopwith Pup for my birthday.

A flying site too - now that would be good as it's an hour and a bit to my current site.

I have a feeling that this could get expensive if they do have a sales counter.

Posted by Eamonn Fahey on 17/04/2012 09:43:49:

Latest news from Hobby King -

"Our warehouse is at Elmsett and we're researching nearby farms to construct a flying field thats not windy and more suitable to RCers.
Walk-in orders and pickups are okay.
Go-live will probably be the middle of next month.
"

They are obviously not encouraging walk-in orders or pickups!

Obviously the priority was to be close to the port to cut transport costs.

The flying field will be used by few rather than many.

For me, it makes no difference if they are in Elmsett or Hong Kong, unless there is a worthwhile financial saving buying from Elmsett, which I doubt, except on large items, which if like the German branch, will always be out of stock.

I would hope there would be a difference in cost, not on the item itself, but in shipping and import duties which can almost double the cost of some items coming in from HK.

I import from China all the time with my job and know how much shipping costs are increasing from the far east but, they will be shipping in bulk which will keep their costs down.

One minute working with a UK hobby shop, next in Bentwaters and now in Elmsett.

You really have to give it to Antony Hand, he is really flying this by the seat of his pants - working like a true entrepreneur!

Probably one of the primary reasons that HobbyKing has been so successful. Its about time someone came along to shake up the RC hobby market.

Although I welcome the UK arrival of HobbyKing. I cannot imagine that it will be a universal feeling.

There are many vested interests such as Perkins, Ripmax et al, that may have very different views.

Often you hear of arguments, we support the products we distribute, we have developed the market at great expense, without our pricing policies, smaller, more remote retailers could not survive. It is in the customers interest to maintain prices.

Then there is the argument put about by some, these Far Eastern products do not recognise European trademarks, copyrights, patents etc. Yet so much of the products manufactured in the Far East, no more infringe Copyright, than a starter motor on a car, they all look very similar, whoever manufactures the device. Many domestic radios have very similar circuits, in my youth, you could buy booklets containing amplifier circuits, oscillator circuitry etc., to the extent that expert eyes could identify in man devices the functionality of parts of the circuits boards. So is it surprising that all ESCs will have similar circuitry. As for the infringement of patents, some infringements are very real, yet more are of dubious quality, not withstanding value.

I worked for a company which actually applied for patents, to tie up competitors, in challenging the application. Some patents were granted, that turned out to have been granted for the same feature, many, many years earlier, the searches not turning them up. My experience of watching the shenanigans, has influenced my own views of patents. Particularly Dysons patent for cyclones, hardly new, used for transfer, filtering, separating and for cleaning, for at least 100 years.

I am sure there will an attempt to either, impede Hobbyking, or turn them into a clone of themselves.

I wonder if there will ever be regional Hobbyking stores, or they will always to choose to be a Mailorder/Online trader?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Would be nice to know if they ever intend stocking popular stuff at the UK warehouse...such as single cells for the vapors etc, smaller 2s packs, the HK version of the ripmax spitfire, indoor micro helis, orange receivers etc etc.

I was in the market for almost all those things recently and couldnt get a single item from UK. Particularly daft that the most famous and iconic british fighter is not available in the UK!

I wanted the heli especially ( Xmas pressy for the grandson ) but when I got to HKong checkout page, they only offered express and expensive shipping ( 30$ +) for an item costing a tad over £12. Crazy.

Also, why oh why do I have to keep entering that I am in the UK every time I log in - been a memeber for donkeys years, placed over 40 orders, and STILL the darn site cant remember where I live ??

Edited By Tim Mackey on 26/11/2012 18:19:59

This was a one day sale,the mustangs for sale at $110 or £68 + postage from Hongkong, still good value for a 61" span foamy

Hourly videos on website.

No reply to price on back-order so gave up.

I fancy the big Foamy P-40 with the free U/C upgrade,put off a bit by review on the RC Groups thread,lots of issues such as damage during delivery,missing parts wobbly spinners etc .

Might try one,,lot less money than the H9 P-40 smiley