Where do you you build

Andrew Mclaren

Advert

Im lucky - we have a detached, brick built garage which was high enough to put in a staircase and floor - so we now have a two care garage with workshop over. Insulated the wall and floor, put in an end wall (Sterling board double skinned) and with a 3KW oil filled radiator on a thermostat and a dehumidifier I can work there all year round. On cold days the rad is augmented by a 1500W halogen heater whilst I am actully working.
Mike

• 3 weeks later...
I have a workshop in the garden in which
I do all my model building. I'm in to model eng. as well as aircraft. I don't think my
wife would be too pleased with me if moved
a screwcutting lathe etc. into the house!
My workshop is heated by electricity.Don't think I'd want to do any sanding near a computer{ I use a disc/belt sander}

14' by 10' tin shed. Some space taken up by previous valve electronics hobby, but mostly aeromodelling space. Too many kits, drill press, power tools, too many unfinished projects, 1/2" of balsa shaving on the floor, old dresser full of engines, workbench covered in 'stuff' with drawers of r/c gear, more shelves with containers of wheels, undercarts, tanks, spinners, control-line stuff, models hanging from the walls, racks of wings, central building bench made from a sewing table on wheels with caneite top for pins, not enough lighting and what there is is too close to my personal solar panel.

Get the picture? :-)

Need to get in there at least once a week to stay in the same suburb as sane.

• 2 months later...
Ha Ha,
All over the house !! kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms. I have a very understanding missis who has even learnt that the peculiar rattle you get when hovering up a vital widget will need investigating / retrieval.I do that (fairs fair it is my fault!!) She cannot get round the idea of needing so many ribs. Two should be enough and finds it amusing when i'm on my twentieth. She also keeps upgrading her mobile phone with better video capability when I go flying. I can't think why.

Garage

has heat light and power, plus a pc and entertainment (TV/DVD/Radio).

Also has some other stuff in it taking up space - lawnmowers, garden tools and the like. They used to live in the shed but my wife has filled that with Guinea Pigs.

Very cramped now as I use it to build in and to store all the currently servicable planes; several 'spares' in the eaves............... must sort it out this summer.

Car doesn't fit of course. But who ever heard anything so ridiculous as putting a car in a garage anyway ! That's what drives are for.

GG

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 1900 sq ft basement that is part work office (10 x 14) and the rest is for modelling bliss.
The wife got tired of hearing the TV come thru the floor so she gave me cordless headphones to wear while in the hole.

First post here, looks like fun!

Vic

The magic shrinking workshop.
When living in the uk I used to cram myself into a corner of the garage.Now having moved to the sun.I have built myself a 15 by 20ft workshop with work top for my piller drill, scroll saw, belt sander and piller sander,with 10 ft of work space and a sepperate 6x4 build table.
SO how is it that approx 2 days into the build I have covered the worktop with tools,glue,balsa,dope ,paint etc,etc,so I end up working on approx 3x2 ft of my build table.

I think it works on the same basis as money. If you have more money somehow you spend more money, SO if you have more space you use more space.
lol

I work off my kitchen table, My built models look as good as any that come out of work shops,

best regards

lee

Impossible for me to build in the house - no spare rooms, two active kids.

When I returned to the hobby I built myself a small workshop. Best thing I ever did. Block construction, with door and double glazed windows (unbelievably, complete with all keys) liberated from the local tip.

Not only great for modelling, but also a useful doghouse to retreat to when you're out of favour ;-)