How do you hold those Tx sticks?

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 10/04/2012 09:03:36:

Thumbs here, I use my fingers to hold the transmitter. I've not been keen on a neckstrap since I saw a couple of incidents with electric models when pilots let the Tx hang against their body, with the result being a pushed up throttle stick...

You see, I have the neckstrap take the weight, my left hand holds the tx so the throttle is clear of my body and the right holds the aircraft, I have throttle on right stick. When I reach a 'pre-lauch' point I adjust the throttle with my left finger, return my grip once throttle set and then launch, using rudder and elevator for first few seconds to maintain control and ensure a good launch. My right hand then drops to Tx and takes up ailerons and throttle.

I am looking at setting flight conditions so I can switch the throttle on with a switch, but haven't had time to play with it yet.

finger and thumb both sticks, no neck strap for me.

However when flying 3d planes I in the hover and extreme manauvers I use thumbs only as I can move them faster and futher.

When I fly gliders I use a mixture of both - thumbs for just lazy cruising and fnt for landing and thermalling or whenever I need precise control.

When flying warbirds and precision aerobatics I use finger and thumb as this gives me more precise control.

Helis would be fingers and thumbs too!

I was taught by a competition flyer and he imediatly corected me when I started using thumbs at the beginning and its stuck, my mates all use thumbs and refuse to change and though I say it myself my flying is smoother and more precise than theirs.

no .! you tickle it like a fish on the line nudge them gently with your thumb on the side of the stickcool, that way if your models trimmed out it responds smo-o-othly. Ok- if you're indoors or flying like a extrovert outside graple with the stick tops with your thumbs and call radio interferencesurprise when things go wrong.wink

I used to use just Thumbs but the 3D stuff needed a bit more control so i switched to Finger and Thumb! It feels so much nicer in my opinion.

Any one who uses the Finger and Thumb method should try the thumb method for one flight as it feels so weird!

Hi. All.

When hand launching I have my thumb on the right hand stick, (Aileron/elevator), and use my nose to open the throttle Bet there can't be many that do that.............. Is there?

Keep em flying.

David W

I'm horrified at how many folks have commented along the lines "I was taught by my instructor that XX is the proper way" (for XX substitute "fingers and thumbs" or "thumbs only"!).

When I'm instructing I always say to pupils "You can hold the sticks either way - try both and see which one you feel happiest with. The only golden rule is, however you hold them, both hands on the sticks at all times".

I justify this on the grounds that I know some fantastic pilots who use "fingers and thumbs" and I know other, equally fantastic, pilots who use only "thumbs". So plainly they both work fine and its a question of what suits you.

Are the bulk of the instructor cadre really so dogmatic on this issue?

BEB

BEB, the only thing I tell studes is the proper way is not to flick the damned things!! I find the kids from the Playstation generation have awful thumb control at the start. Grrr.

I use thumbs mostly, but hook my fingfer round the stick when I need uber control and Im scared of going wrong: such as low inverted! Otherwise its thumbs with a touch of finger. I therefore ticked the "other" box.

D

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/04/2012 11:07:30:

Are the bulk of the instructor cadre really so dogmatic on this issue?

BEB

There's only one way to decide.....poll it!

I've never knowingly been part of a cadre before!

...but I can't say I've ever prompted anyone to use the sticks in any particular way other than as per the two Davids' observations to be less digital and maintain contact with (and use) both sticks throughout the flight. When asked, I always reply that they should use what feels comfortable to them.

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/04/2012 13:46:21

I was just about to start a "how do you hold yours" thread when I found this poll .

I am a fingers'n'thumbs man, still a woefully poor pilot of course but I think I do have very bad hand/eye coordination though. I was taught that the additional finger gives more tactile feedback. Certainly it feels I have less control until I have both fingers on the sticks (lone flier so hand launches mainly, no ROGs unless the farmer has just cut the field). But looking in the magazine I see lots of top pilots with their thumb on top hence my interest.

Posted by Victor Saliba on 12/04/2012 13:15:41:

Can someone tells me how to do a slowwwwww roll thumbs only? the sticks need to be held firmly.

Don't move the sticks very far...

I'm not sure why you don't feel that fingers are necessary for fine control - my sticks (Futaba) have points on them which make them follow my thumbs without any slipping.

I notice that 3% of people have voted for "Other" ways of holding the sticks. Could someone enlighten me, and possibly others, as to what digits they actually use ???? The mind boggles, but hopefully someone can explain.

I have already voted "Thumbs" and to add that I do use a neckstrap (would, and do, feel lost without it on the odd occasion I have had take control of someone elses plane) and always keep my thumb pressed against the throttle stick at the lowest position when pushing my electric plane out for take off (Sebart Angel).

I fly with one hand - little finger on right stick and thumb of same hand on left stick, left hand is busy holding the bags to put the bits when i crash trying to fly like this.

Seriously - honest, I voted thumb and finger but after reading what biggles put I held my Tx and I'm the same, finger area around front of sticks and thumb on top, I'd like to bet the are many variations, bit like flying different modes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...