What to stick acetate sheet with?

Steve W-O

Firstly, it probably isn't acetate, just what it is commonly called.

It is the kind of plastic that OHP slides are made of, or the covering on packaging like shirts or chocolates

I have some sheets, which I thought would be ideal for windows, just about stiff enough, but easy to cut and curve.

I tried to stick it onto the covering film with cyano, but that does not stick to either the sheet or the film.

Epoxy might work, but would not be clear, or as clear as the CA.

Balsa cement would take for ever to dry even if it would stick.

I would really like to stick it on the outside, it looks neater.

A couple of years ago, I bought a few bottles at a show. I was in the YT stand, and people were saying that they couldn't find any Canopy glue. There was only one seller selling them, and bought the last six. I paid £2.50 each, but the person was so desperate, he gave me £10 for two! Nice!

• 2 years later...
Posted by Ron Harrison on 01/09/2014 12:40:56:

Not quite on the same subject but, where is the best place to get Acetate for Windscreens from and, what thickness is best?

Thanks

Ron

All sorts of packaging materials can be used. At this time of year (almost) ask friends / relatives, to keep their Xmas card packaging if you want it flat. Pop bottles are good for curved. These days Easter egg packaging is a bit thin for canopies, which is a shame.

smiley

My first impressions of Canopy Glue were on the negative side, I couldn't get it to stick ! but then after giving it another try, I realised the mistake was mine .... having got used to using today's fast setting glues, I just wasn't allowing canopy glue enough time to go off ! So now I carefully rough up the gluing area on the edge of the canopy with fine abrasive sandpaper, then apply the glue and clean off the excess. Then where I can I use tape to hold the canopy down to the fuselage surface. As mentioned earlier it's recommended to leave 24 hours, but I leave it for 48 hours. I know most of here are now used to using quicker setting glues these days, but its worth giving the canopy glue time needed to go off .... I've never had a canopy glue failure yet.

Another tip I discovered is, old dried canopy glue can be removed with gently wiping with a soft cloth and methylated spirits, providing you first check it doesn't damage the surface the glue is stuck on.

wink

Ronaldo

Ps ..... I have also used canopy glue on iron on film with success, sand the gluing area with fine abrasive sandpaper first. If you are worried about scratching the film beyond the gluing area, I usually put masking tape on the film up to the canopy glue line first so I don't accidently over sand the area and spoil the film around the canopy.

Ronaldo

I made a forced march shopping trip to Lidl yesterday and found what I hope is an useful product. They had a selection of tubes of 'carded' UHU glues and I spotted this one, 'Hartkunststoff' - 'Spezialkleber' It is a glue for hard plastics. My mind clicked 'I wonder? Will it work on acetate and similar windscreen materials', it gives a setting time of 5 minutes, Well it does I have just cut the bubble pack in half and glued it together in 5 minutes, full setting time 24 Hrs. It seems to have a similar solvent smell to their UHU 'Por' glue but it dries clear but a little bit like balsa cement would used if like this but almost water thin but it isn't runny. Should be great for gluing on to on framing. On offer 2 tubes for £2.40 or so There are one or two other varieties on offer, the other one I bought was a 'leather and fabric' They are on the 'Last weeks offers' stands. Being as I was a good boy and bought a bottle of chocolate liqueur for Her I was allowed to buy a new digital multimeter for Me which has a 1.5 v and a 5v position on it Super value as my old one has a dicky switch like me.