Small Petrol Engines

Ultimate,

Zenoah (a division of Komatsu) Chainsaw engines the lot of them. Others - you can tell them at a glance by their very short front bearing, thus they have a 'stuck on' long prop driver to compensate. Lots of them, but getting less. Tempted, I agree with everyone's cleanliness and low running cost comments. I have not tried one yet but probably will. Fancy the 50cc DA or the 33 or 50cc OS, but expensive and a bit big for what I want.

I will probablt 'test the water' soon.

An engine is an engine. Yes. I lokked under the bonnet of a TVR once. Would get no pleasure in owning such a lash up.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 03/09/2012 09:54:15

Advert

No. I just thought they might be as they have certain similarities to the MVVS ones andf the Evolution ones made for them by MVVS..

I see the bigger ones, such as your 17cc, have a different carburettor to the 9cc one that Peter complained of. Until I saw Peter's comments it would have been the one I would have gone for as I really only want a little one. No longer.

Perhaps JE might have tried testing one before selling them. Or, to be fair, you just got a 'bad' one. There have, as far as I know, been  no other adverse comments. But JE's action  now, to China, indicates otherwise.

Personalli I will stick to makes I know. and have direct experience of, having been caught out before

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 03/09/2012 10:57:54

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 03/09/2012 11:00:32

The major engine manufacturers will have to do something to sell engines in future. Most beginners seem to arrive with electric power now and experienced modellers are switching to electric quite fast. Petrol seems a good idea with Glow fuel costing so much. But why has glow fuel gone up so much recently? Lack of quantity production due to electric maybe?

Yes the cost of oil will have raised the cost of glow fuel to a degree but as far as I'm led to believe methanol is a by product from the production/refining of petrol then there's the cost of the oil and nitro content within the fuel but how it comes out far more expensive than petrol which is absolutely overloaded with taxation is beyond me.

Just out of interest I Google-shopped fuel stuff:-

Nitromethane - £43.10 gallon(imp)

Methanol - £8.99 gallon.

Klotz oil - £35.75 gallon

For easy calc if you go 10 gallons of Methanol, 2 gallons of Klotz and 1 gallon of Nitro you end up with a 13 gallon mix about 20%oil 8% Nitro which works out at about £15.60 a gallon - not cheap!

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 11/09/2012 18:35:29:

run a petrol engine on pressure from the silencer, as mentioned, and would there not be a fireball ???

For there to be a fireball you need fuel and oxygen, as the silencer pressure is effectivelly spent air where the oxygen has been used this would equate to an inert gas which wouldn't support combustion.

I love all types of engines but have found that they are not really well enough engineered to be worth using on anything under 70 inch wingspan. The reason is the horrible vibrations and the very poor noise reduction of the supplied exhausts.

So before you all rush out and buy petrol engines because the running costs are cheaper, start to think about how much further you will need to travel when you loose your current site, or alternatively the cost of buying expensive after market exhaust systems.

BTW, I love all things IC and I have 5 or 6 Petrol engines, I am starting to favour Zenoah because of the ultra reliable runs from them using magnetos ( I know that they are a little heavier and less powerful).

Ian

I, to some parts, disagree, i have operated many many engines in many many models under 70inch, with great results, and with a tweak here, a tweak there, can get them to run reliably , and under 82DB, yes, the standard noise amplifier is pants, but there are silencers with extra chambers, witness the superb irvine range,

i agree about petrols, they may seem quiet in the air, but the noise travels a lot further than glow, but even they can be tamed, but yes, it costs miney for extra bits to shut them up,

Hi,

Just realised that I missed out the word petrol. I meant the use of petrol engines on aircraft under 70 inch span, not all IC engines. I wouldn't be flying very much at all if that were the case.

I think it's a pity that the current batch of petrol engine manufacturers don't realise that with a little more effort, we could have quiet an dsmooth petrol engines for our models and they wouldn't have to be that much more expensive. Maybe the real money is being made in after market exhausts?

Ian