Time Lapse movie of Tomboy build.

Hello.

I've just finished a Vic Smeed Tomboy and decided to film it with my GoPro movie camera using it's time lapse facility.

http://youtu.be/GuE87Bwe4YI

I plan to fly it at Middle Wallop on the 6th of May.

Edited By Steve Roberts 4 on 03/05/2012 07:46:57

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 03/05/2012 17:13:44

Advert

• 3 months later...

Wow! You build very fast. It took me 6 months to build my Tomboy.

It was my first plane and I did a 3channel electric rc version. The original V Smeed design is so good. It is so stable and just flies itself. I would recommend an electric rc conversion of a Tomboy to anyone wanting to learn to fly.

Nice video

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Not sure if I should mention another magazine on this forum because it's linked to RCM&E but I picked up the October copy of a certain R/C Model magazine recently because there was an interesting feature in it by Dave Bishop about a larger version of Vic Smeed's classic Tomboy. Called Big Boy, this 60" 3 - channel enlarged version is designed for .25 to .40 IC power or EP equivalent. Full size copies of the plan are available from the publisher if anyone is interested..

My Uncle Geoff was a draftsman who drew up a double sized Tomboy before he died in the early Sixties. It had a 72" wingspan and he'd managed to build the fuselage before cancer took him from us.

He gave me all of his models just before he died and I finished the Tomboy over twenty-five years later. Unfortunately the old 1950s balsa, which he'd used in the fuselage, was not up to the job so I built another fuselage using cyano. I was only a novice in those days and somehow managed to get the model into a spiral dive. When it hit the ground the wing and tail were hardly damaged but the fuselage had changed into a big yellow nylon bag of balsa. I've never used cyano for fuselages since! I built a third fuselage and managed to fly that one into a tree! A mountaineer rescued it for me.

The wing and tail are up in the loft and await their fourth fuselage. embarrassed