Who will buy my plywood?

My name is Enrique Iglesias, I'm from Spain.

I am a sport pilot, and building my own plane, France design.

For various reasons I have now the possibility to produce plywood okume very fine thickness, 1.5 mm, 2.5 mm, 2 mm and more....

I would like to ask if among model builders is an interest in fine okume plywood, before starting to manufacture in quantity

Advert

Welcome to the forum Enrique....always nice to see non UK members...thumbs up

I didn't know what Okume Plywood was but a quick Google tells me its very high grade plywood often used in boat & aircraft manufacture......

So is anyone interested...? I would say yes definitely but it depends on the price etc.....I doubt you'd be interested in shipping one square foot of 2mm plywood to me for my latest project so maybe you need a UK distributor.

Perhaps the way forward is to approach some of the UK based kit manufacturers....DB Sport & Scale, PB Models, Chris Foss Designs maybe, Avicraft, SLEC perhaps. My own LMS runs BalsaMart & is a highly respected supplier of Balsa wood.....You might like to contact RCM&E magazine & arrange to send some samples over for review.....RCM&E have several columnists who build traditional models.....they could "test" your plywood....

I believe there are some people who (whisper it) build model boats as a hobby..wink 2...I would guess this may be a good outlet for your plywood too......

Good luck with your venture....maybe your efforts can save Spain from the ravages of the Euro....wink 2

I believe this is what we might know as Gaboon Ply which is a high quality African hardwood based ply and something I've heard of but never (knowingly) used. It's a marine ply, more flexible than birch ply but not very rot resistant so apparantly needs proper sealing all round.

The plywood usually used in the UK is Birch Ply, Enrique, perhaps you could give us some info re. the benefits of Okume - Daithe's reply above indicates it could be very suitable for our applications?

BTW Myron, I was rather surprised to see Lite Ply mentioned as a material for full size aircraft construction - but this was trademarked so perhaps "our" liteply is an inferior product?

I googled "Okume Plywood" & got lots of hits...several seemed to indicate it was used in aircraft & boat building...This is a typical result.

As Martin sez the "good" ply I use is resin bonded birch or marine ply & you can see the multiple layers...very light & stiff. The lite ply I use occasionally for very low stress applications has a smooth browny red outer layer & then an almost white inner layer....its kind of "OK" for light weight applications but I would never use it for firewalls or wing braces.....dont know

What we need to know is the weight per square foot for each thickness.
Then we can compare with proper liteply.
If it's a West African material how come it's being exported from Spain?
All the normal ply importers will have bulk shipments from source and likely to be much cheaper, unless this is just offcuts or something.

hi guys, thank you very much for the replies, sorry for my bad English ...

Plywood is a tree okume African, light, density: 440kg/m3, birch 570kg/m3

easy to wordk, cut... resistant and can be made thin (few trees to make fine plywood, birch, okume, poplar ...)
Okume is the name of the tree, also known by Gabon (country of africa with many trees okume)
In France is well known and used for aircraft, Robin, Jodel .... plywood is ideal for aviation and nautical.

the weight, for example 1 plywood complete 2500x1220mm and 1,5mm thickness, is about 1.100 grams (1.1 kg)

Your English is excellent Enrique...much better than my Spanish......"Si" & "no" & "muchas gracias" & "por favor" is about as far as I get......I have no idea what plywood is in Spanish...thinking

OK so it seems that your Okume Plywood is similar to what we know as lite-ply here in the UK. Could still be interesting though.....especially at the smaller sizes....my LMS sells liteply down to 3/32" or about 2.5mm so 2 & 1.5 might be interesting.

How do you intend to sell it Enrique...?

I cannot see how you can expect to compete with the major timber importers who bring timber into the country by the shipload.
2mm Liteply is being sold retail at 1.44 pounds a square foot ( about 305mm by 305mm ) including VAT
or 33 pounds for a 2400x1200 sheet. That is about 28 pounds a sheet without VAT.

It might be better to buy a laser cutter and turn it into kits!

Edited By kc on 09/05/2012 18:04:38

Posted by enrique iglesias on 09/05/2012 20:40:32:

hello

a question.

what material is liteply?, is poplar wood?,

I think it depends where it has been made, or where the wood had been imported from, I'm fairly certain that one piece of light ply I had was made with Falcata in the middle.

Ply seems to be very overpriced in the UK, possibly because I don't know where to buy it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...