Dishonourable sellers?

Pete B

I was watching this Svenson Storch a few days ago, as much as I would like it (drool, drool), bidding was not an option for me, so it was out of curiosity as much as anything.

I noticed that the seller pulled the auction with just 24 seconds to go, when the 23 bids had reached £155.75 - with the explanation that it had been 'sold'.

It has now been re-listed by the same seller.

Now I accept that a seller can do what he likes but, if you really don't want to accept an open auction result, why not put a reserve on it?

I would feel very, very miffed if I had been one of the original bidders who had wasted their time, and had their expectations raised, by this seller.

Anyone else feel the same way as me about it?

Pete

Advert

interesting one this.

but with snipe bidding used buy buyers is ebay really "an open auction result"

you are right that sellers can put in a safe guard of a reserve but if an item sells at a value very much lower than its true value the seller may feel ripped of and let down by the process.

I recently sold two engines and both sold for alot less than I hoped for and with ebay and paypal fees the total I got was very disapointing

I was under the impression that if the auction was within 12 hours of finishing the site would not let you stop the auction (the above sugests you still can)

both buyer and seller try to get a good result for themself but there are some who will cheat the system if they can

Did anyone read the story about a vendor who put the Olympic relay torch on? It went for £153,000, but the winning bidder didn't pay.

Now the seller has £15,000 ebay seller fees to pay, and not sold the torch!

Suppose there are dishonourable sellers and buyers...

Pete, I'm fairly sure that you pay more to ebay for setting a reserve, and also pay more the higher your starting price. I wouldn't go as far as to say "your" seller is a cheapskate, but he did start the listing at 99p and no reserve...crook

Paul, surely in the case you mention, all the seller has to do is to file an unpaid item report and the selling fee will be refunded.

The fee will be refunded,and E bay automatically investigate non payers.Yes yo pay more for setting a reserve and a buy it noe price but the start price doesnt cost as much as a reserve price.I dont know how the guy can pull an item with so short a time to go and agree I feel its dihonest.

I'm not that well up in the mechanics of ebay, but theoretically it would be possible to 'sell' an item to yourself (if you can't do that directly, then enter a dummy account in your other half's name, or one of the kids)

That's not actually 'withdrawing' it from sale. OK, you get hit with the fees, but I suppose that's livable with

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 23/05/2012 22:43:25:

I'm not that well up in the mechanics of ebay, but theoretically it would be possible to 'sell' an item to yourself (if you can't do that directly, then enter a dummy account in your other half's name, or one of the kids)

That's not actually 'withdrawing' it from sale. OK, you get hit with the fees, but I suppose that's livable with

Yes this is possible and illegal

ebay seller prosecuted

The overwhelming majority of my dealings have been problem-free but, just today, I've had my fees for a purchase refunded only after I opened a dispute.

Back in April, I ordered some Eurgle VS-12M servos. These are as rare as hens' teeth and this was the only place I could order them. A couple of days later, the vendor emailed me to say they were OOS and would be back in within ten days. I was offered a $5 credit in their shop for the inconvenience.

I gave them another fortnight and his response was finally that they were 'not available' and I could use the payment as credit against other items. I asked for a refund, the servos being the only product I needed.

Several emails then followed over the next few days, each time they promised to get the delivery, or alternatively payment, department to expedite the refund, without any effect.

Finally, I opened a dispute two days ago and the payment has been refunded.

My principal point is, whilst all this has been going on, the servos are still being shown as 'More than 10 available/ 80 sold' and the listing is still shown as I type. How many others have 'bought' these non-existent items in the meantime?

I believe that Ebay has become so big that it is incapable, and apparently unwilling, to police itself effectively now.

I'll continue to use it but it is always done with my eyes open - and I've learnt to expect the unexpected! smile

Pete

Posted by Pete B on 23/05/2012 23:34:25:

I believe that Ebay has become so big that it is incapable, and apparently unwilling, to police itself effectively now.

Some might say that as ebay makes money out of listing fees, selling fees etc. then there is little incentive for them to police themselves and chuck out the "bad" sellers...

you have to rembember also the original ebay idea. putting people, buyers and sellers with used items in contact with each other and there was always an element of trust involed with that hence the feedback system. where there is an element of trust there is also the opportuninty to abuse that trust.

since its original plan more and more professional shop use ebay