Weston Park 2012 chat, feedback, thoughts

Advert

cant decide if i  enjoy today, some great flying in near perfect conditions, managed to get away from the bring and buy area quite a few times, never managed to pitt for northwest warbirds, cos i did not know what was happening,   i dont know if t was me being tired, or cos my mates where not there, or am i bored with it all?did the earth move for you?  i felt crap, which did not help,   

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 17/06/2012 22:50:38

Edited By David Ashby on 18/06/2012 13:23:15

Im a bit narked at the lack of the full size Eurofighter and Red Arrows as advertised but the models made up for it, Weather wasnt bad, with just a few showers, wind was perfect

managed to leave with my wallet intact too, set myself a plan of just getting exactly what I needed and nothing more, except for ice cream and sweets for my lad I did well

Edited By David Ashby on 18/06/2012 13:23:26

I thought it was one of the best for some years despite the weather on saturday, certainly visitors seemed to be up on last year and trade was pretty steady. Enjoyed the flying slots even though some people did not show. Have to say the night time heli comp was superb.

Edited By David Ashby on 18/06/2012 13:23:37

i was there, i tried ringing you, and ozray, but no answer, i tried to get on the flightline, but was not allowed through without a pass, i explained that i had to get through to get a pass, but no go, sorry, i would have loved to help out the guys,

Edited By David Ashby on 18/06/2012 13:23:49

Sorry to hear that Alan, Ozy was bunking with the YT Boys and i was with Limeys RC Custom Building all weekend from Friday, I never saw you around, just checked mobile - no messages or calls - very odd as we asked if anyone had seen you around.

Linds

Edited By David Ashby on 18/06/2012 13:23:59

i thought you where limey, it was his number i phoned, sorry,     i dont seem to have too much luck trying to get with you guys,    maybe next time--or the next,  or the nextembarrassed

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 17/06/2012 23:16:24

Edited By David Ashby on 18/06/2012 13:24:09

As a tight fisted modeller I baulked at paying £6 .50. for fish chips etc, Also decided to give the beer tent a miss too Ha Ha. Dissapointed with the no show of the Eurofighter, and Red Arrows,did they show at Cosford. ?. That Ali bloke flew well, as did the German aerobatic lad, and the Hawk duo of dad and son. On the whole not a bad day out Cheers.

Edited By David Ashby on 18/06/2012 13:24:49

Just echo the earlier sentiments above...

Just too add my own thanks to those who turned out and made the effort, great site, show and weekend.. also uplifted all bits n bobs needs after winter list writing... plus a bargain or two from the bring and buy...

Cheers and roll on the shows of 2012, and of course the next Weston show under lizard wink

Installing new daylight lights in the workshop today as I do not see much chance of coming out of the place given Wx forecasts... summer? I ask you...

Edited By Area 51 on 18/06/2012 13:25:42

First time I've been to the Weston Park show, and I have to say personally I was rather disappointed.

I was intending to camp over the weekend but however due to a car accident and a subsequent back injury, it was a bad idea for me to be lying on a hard floor to sleep. So I just came for the day on Sunday - which I'm actually glad I did now.

The model air show was good - highlights was seeing that 9 or 10 year old chap flying a 3D heli, doing manoeuvres that a lot of heli pilots could only dream doing and also the exciting explosion battlefield flying demo thinggy. Ali Jnr put on a good flying display (shame Ali Snr can't keep the shop business flying as well as Jnr flies...).

Point of note, did anyone see that deadstick IC Spitfire that flew directly towards the crowd, past the pilot area, turning at the last minute and hitting someone in the flight line in the back? Could have been rather dangerous if it carried on past the flightline. Someone mentioned to me that is was (who spoke to someone on the flight line), apparently, a lockout on Spektrum equipment... was there too many aircraft in the air for DSM2 to be safely used? Something that show organisers may need to start thinking about with these large all-up displays.

Show trade stalls was reasonable, however I have to admit, I think we're now spoilt with Hobbyking/GiantShark/etc with their prices. I did notice the 35mm SkyAngel EDF that Robotbirds was shifting for £70 - I picked an identical one up from Hobbyking for £40 including express postage to the UK. I did however walk away with a new Foam-E acro wot which has now joined my build queue! I'll post my feedback on that on the other thread some other time. I have to say briefly though out of the box that the build quality on my example isn't great. Looks generally worse than my Wot4 foam-e. Hopefully it'll fly as good as, or better than the Wot4 foam-e that I love.

Another thing I had noticed that the trade stalls were very far apart for no real explicable reason? There was plenty of fresh air between them and I think my tired legs and back could have done with them a bit closer. Maybe this is to burn off the fat and calories from the unhealthly food options? smile p

No offence to the people who put items in the swapmeet, however I felt there was a lot of antiques that were expensive! I wish I bought my mini-mag to sell, I reckon it could have got a good price. Maybe I looked round there at too late and all the best stuff went early on?

The biggest disappointment was the lack of full size red arrows and Eurofighter. I can only guess this was outside the control of the show organisers, however it would have been nice to know that it was cancelled over the Tanoy.

Another gripe is the lack of food on offer. Choice between a burger van grease (ok it wasn't as greasy as I've had at some places, but it was still very unaspring), an up-market burger van (actually looked better food, wish I got something from there now) or a miscellaneous van. Now I'm not a food snob, but it would have been nice to have something remotely healthy on offer and the vegetarians don't have many options either.

One final thing is that the show flier mentioned that there was to be a boat pool and military&classic car show section. Was there one? I couldn't find it. When leaving at the end of the show, I noticed the dedicated Heli section in the corner. It would have been nice if there was some signage or information leaflet at the beginning to point people to the different areas.

I would rate the show 6/10. Pretty good show and reasonable value, but not amazing. Hopefully I'm not sounding too much like a grumpy old man, but this was my take on the show!

Si.

For myself I thought it was a great show. Excellent variety of model types being displayed, lots of trade stalls with space enough to browse without fighting through a crowd, and reasonable entrance fee.

I may be jaded, but the Red Arrows just doesn't do anything for me, however the Pitts duo and the Fox/Pawnee were brilliant.

I always enjoy the Western Park show as it has a happy and close to the action atmosphere, helped, in my opinion by good ol' DB Sounds. He always makes me smile.

But it was very dissapointing when the Euro fighter and the Arrows failed to show, particularly as DB had built it up so much. "It's the RAF you know, they're never late". To make it worse, we were all watching the Euro Fighter circling around the site, but about 3 miles out, then we just hear it performing over Cosford. I realise that the show had no control over this, but as said earlier, it would have been nice to be told that it wasn't coming after all. Still, I won't hold it against DB. Keep up the good work.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

Andyshades

I enjoyed Weston. Model shows are not what they used to be, but at least here, there are a good range of models flying and quite a few traders. Better weather would've helped, but judging by the numbers over the w/e, especially on Sunday was a good turnout - considering Cosford was running concurrently.

One area excells is the Modellers' Swopmeet. Apart from W&W and the Nats, no other show does this. Is was helping out here, and people bought and sold stuff they didn't want, whilst going round the show, and maybe picking some cash up later on.

Ready for next year...yes

And it was all my idea too, wish i had run it though, instead of staying loyal to YT, angry 2 put putting Phil in there was a good move, he had all the stress, and i just talked niceley to sellers, there was some tat there, but a LOT of good stuff,    bought quite a bit when it was time for owners to collect their unsold wares, wink 2

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 22/06/2012 16:56:06