Galaxy Models, in administration

This really is a great shame. Galaxy and in particular its proprietor,Gary, have been hugely supportive throughout most of my aeromodeling life of 40 years or so. I hope that a way forward can be found for this pillar of the trade we all rely on for our pastime.
I'm sure that I speak for many thousands of past and present customers and friends in wishing Gary and all of the staff at galaxy all the very best for the future with heartfelt thanks for the professionalism given to aeromodeling worldwide.

Advert

I would also recommend getting Galaxy kits now. They are cheap, good quality excellent planes. Want a low winger? Get a Magician or Wizard. Want a nice Bipe? Get a Domino. There are loads more

If the worst happens, then all hope is not lost because Pegasus models make some of the Galaxy kits, like the Magician. But if you want one, get one from Galaxy now.

I really hope they can carry on.

CS

It is sad to lose such a good model shop but also the poor workers who may be losing their jobs,unless it is saved by someone.

I visited the shop a few years ago and bought a mystic I never managed to finish it and had to sell it part built for various reasons sad was shaping up to be a lovely model.

Concorde Speedbird I bet you are pleased you have what could be one of the last Dominos.

Posted by Dean on 28/06/2012 21:29:20:

Concorde Speedbird I bet you are pleased you have what could be one of the last Dominos.

I am privileged to have what could be one of the last Dominos, maybe even the last one sold. It is a box of very good quality pieces at the moment. I am going to try and make a really nice job of it, build it to the highest standard I can. I have an almost brand new Saito FA62A four stroke for it, which should be perfect. I can't wait to build it, it is a brilliant aeroplane from what I've heard. Check out my build log to follow the build, I will start it as soon as possible (1-2 weeks). I have taken some pics of the kit and explained some modifications I am making, please pop a comment in, anything is helpful!

I phoned them on Monday, and all seemed normal. Now it could be the end, I really hope it isn't.

CS

PS. Tony H has what could be one of the last Magicians (from Galaxy- Pegasus make it as well) and I think he is doing a build log- please have a look at that as well.

Let's all hope the administrators find a successful way forwards for the business. I called in there for the first time a few weeks ago when in the area and bought one of their Mosquito kits

Was quite taken aback by the no of plastic mouldings when I got it home and opened it. More like an airfix kit than a "trad" build. Very good value for money though - as are, as already pointed out on here, many of the other Galaxy kits.

Its all very sad. Spent a lot of my early teens (and pocket money!) in Galaxy, this was when they were at Felixstowe Road. It was an Aladins cave of goodies. Cant help thinking that moving premises resulted in higher rents and salaries. If sales don't follow then problems occur.

Hope it all works out for Gary.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 28/06/2012 18:09:18:

Could Ali buy it out, or at least keep something going?

Ali has just closed my LMS here in Bristol (detailed in another thread), so very unlikely to take on a new one!

This is very sad that another store is closing, Galaxy is the one advert I always looked over and wished I had time to build one of their kits. I may buy one to keep into storage until I do have the time.

Unfortunately this is what the race to the bottom margin is doing to the LMS. I remember speaking to a retailer who was complaining that they were having to sell their Wot4 Foam-E's at cost price, due to other retailers doing the same. He tried not too, but he literally sold none even with a tiny margin added. I do fear what will happen to the LMS once/if HobbyKing get their UK warehouse up.

Galaxy always had large adverts in RCM&E, makes you wonder who will be replacing them. Also makes me worried that if other large RC retailers go under and hence stop their adverts, what would happen to RCM&E? crook

Perhaps we should all take some pictures of outside and in of our remaining local model shops, before they all disappear and we forget what they were like "back in the day"?

Si.

Posted by Simon Chambers on 05/07/2012 23:05:19

Perhaps we should all take some pictures of outside and in of our remaining local model shops, before they all disappear and we forget what they were like "back in the day"?

Si.

Or insted, go in and spend some money, try and keep the place from having to close ? lol

Galaxy always had large adverts in RCM&E, makes you wonder who will be replacing them. Also makes me worried that if other large RC retailers go under and hence stop their adverts, what would happen to RCM&E? crook

I may be mistaken, but Galaxy did not have an advertisment in the last RCME (the Acro Wot one). Maybe that was a sign. Let's hope they can be somehow saved by somebody.

CS

Administration can be initiated by the company's directors or the holder of a floating charge on its assets, when debt can't be repaid to contractual terms. It is a means for a business to obtain protection from its creditors and continue trading whilst it restructures its financing. The Administrator has to act in the interests of all creditors while maintaining it as a going concern. Part of this will be to review the existing order book, so if you were thinking of buying from Galaxy, do it now.

I do not condemn the trader for trying, he is doing what is necessary for their business to flourish.

I would think that Galaxy's problems are the same as many traders throughout the UK, people are spending less, competition for that spend is keen.

The challenge is obviously staying in business. Again the solutions are obvious, minimise costs, purchase at the lowest price, sell at the highest margin and keep the till ringing. Seems dead easy, not for a shop based retailer I guess.

I have just bought a new cat flap, at the local pet store they are selling at £64, on the Internet Amazon, price £36, I think you can see why the Internet is flourishing. And yes, I did buy from amazon, still waiting though, 2 days later.

I'd have thought most of Galaxy's business was on-line these days rather than beinng shop-based. When I spoke to the proprietor while ordering a Tiffy he said he thought that the recession was what had doomed them, with the poor weather just making things worse.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 06/07/2012 11:26:28

Of course, naturally!

I am not pushing the Internet, my Bosch strimmer exploded (literally), repair was not sensible, as the cost was over £60 for the bits. A new Bosch was about £60. Plus my wife (the user) said we are not buying one of those again. A Flymo, of higher spec was available via Amazon for £35 (massively discounted). Delivery on the second day.

Plus I did not need to go to B&Q et al, spend half a day, tramping round and saved petrol money.

In some respects I find it hard to understand Galaxy's situation, they having a massive distance selling reputation. I can only think it is the shop, which has drained away resources,

I happened to be in Ipswich last year and called in to the shop for the first time. I bought a plane and all the electrics to go with it. The person I dealt with was the most helpful and knowledgeable I have ever met on the subject of Electric models and accessories. What a shame it will be if Galaxy doesn't survive.

I remember my LMS proprieter telling me how much a particular well known internet/show/ trader with a retail shop (not Galaxy) was hated by the model trade for discounting to below the price that they could buy in from their wholesalers. I'm sure life is extremely tough on the high street

You've only got to look at our field on a (rare) half decent weekend day (or around the forum) to see how much less interest there is in flying (and by extension buying) nowadays - I'm fairly sure it's very much weather related and, to some extent financial and people have simply got out of the habit of going to the field unless they're real enthusiasts like the majority on the forum.

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/07/2012 11:43:13

The awful weather is a very fair point.

If, as seems reasonable, that is depressing spending further (on top of the recession) then that could be the final tipping point for those who were, or are, already "on the edge" re cashflow"