How local is your 'local flying field'?

JFH

hi the club is situated on the outskirts of snodland  at the moment weve only got 5 members we were lucky in that we found a local land owner that is interested in the sport   weve been trying to find somwwhere away from the village to fly because of the usual complaints of noise ect and hes let us rent a field up on the downs well away from housing ect ,as its in a rural area were restricted to certain flying times and stringent restrictions on noise emissions ie elecrtic or 4st with efficient silencers as thats the main concern with models in this area ,the actual flyimg field is a large grass strip as u can see from the picture its in a prime location over looking the medway valley with parking nearby and entry via a metal gate, we are very lucky to aquire this site and warmly welcome any new members to the club but we must stress that anyone joining must abide by the restriction imposed by the landowner as failure to do so will lose the site to everyone involved ,as it is its taken months of talks with the landowner and a flying demonstration with a couple of models so he could asses the noise levels needless to say he was very happy with the cessna flybys and mild aerobatics .grinning from ear to ear were still shaking from the experience  nerves.... even now, but anyway we got permission hes even given us premission to fly at a private field near the farmhouse i think its so he can watch the flying.....anyway were here and if you want to join give us a bell ...... before i forget one last word a big thankyou to rob and ali newman of avicraft for all their help and assistance and advice in everything modelling without which we would not have got this far a big thanks to all.

dear david if u could send us youre emaill ill send the pic of the field taken with windragon model

Hi all. any one flying a GAS BOBCAT-50, tried to fly it today from short grass freshly mown strip, plenty of ground speed but refuse's to rotate or fly of strip,Suspect U/C location could well be contributing to problem as the mainlegs are 150mm behind C/G. I am thinking of changing this to 25/30mm which I believe will enable the model to rotate into a flying attitude.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

David

What a lucky lot you are. My local field is exactly 25 miles away, but well worth the drive. Unfortunately, Thames Water are going to build a vast reservoir to make up for all their incompetence and leaks.

We were thinking of converting everything to floats (my Fokker DR1 will look a bit out of place), but I don't think even that will be allowed because of the possible pollution. Maybe someone can tell me if methanol and oil are beneficial in the diet?

The only other local field is shared with Joe Public and their dogs, which I consider just too dangerous.

Regards,

Tentpeg. 

My Club field is 5 mins away by car, and I get there in 10-15 mins with my bicycle.
Should I prefer a walk it'll take me some 40 minutes through the town.

We're neighbours to the Local aeroclub, which means that we have acces to big lawn mower, tractor, etc and we share a snow thrower too.

We are lucky indeed, since we rent the area from the town administration of Köping (Sweden)
Our cost is below £100 per year. 230 Volts provided by the Aero Club to a cost of approx. £300 per year.

• 8 months later...

Hi all, i have a field literally 30 seconds away, which is good for the smaller aircraft ( .40 size) . Used to be a lot better but the local council decided to build a BMX track on is so now it is restricted somewhat!

I did join PADMAC this year, the flying field is 13 miles away, really nice flying site but the weather, work, commitments seem to have all conspired against me so not actually flown there yet.

Wonder if i will get a reduction in club fees next year??????

Chris.C

My own field  at the bottom of the garden - only problems are some tall[ish] trees in one hedge and some local power lines diagonallyacross the middle  - still - if it's not windy I enjoy the challenge of flying leccy EPPs of one sort or another at home.

Otherwise there are 3 fields [two mown] within 15mins drive.

The icing on the cake is Long Mynd 35miles  [1hour]  away.

Gurth. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I am so lucky, as I have a 1 acer meadow next to the factory where I work and can fly in side or out, subject to the wind and weather, and also there is a five acer set- a -side Field just across the road from my house suitable for hand launching so I think I must be blessed.

free as a bird Owen. 

Living in mid Wales among the hills and the mountains my "local" club site is a 70 mile round trip. An hour each way but as it has some old tarmac as well as grass is ideal for aeroplanes that have delicate undercarriages, retracts or need lots of speed to get off the ground. I do have a field available a 5 minute walk from the house for my helicopters but the field isn't suitable for anyone not able to fly them already as there are lots of big trees and wire fences around, and it isn't flat. For slope soaring the Long Mynd is a 50 mile round trip. Another hour each way. So given the cost of fuel these days I only go fixed wing flying or slope soaring if I am pretty sure I will have a good day of flying weather and can take at least 3 aeroplanes with me. Not very economic in time or money terms otherwise. Before I moved to mid Wales my local fixed wing flying site was less than 5 miles away and helicopters was 8 miles. The nearest slope was about 20 miles but the best sloping sites were 70 miles away down the M4.

Earlier in this thread David Coward asked about getting a Bobcat off the ground. Not really the subject of this thread but as I have one and love it here goes.

The "secret" is having enough positive incidence on the wing. Given where the main wheels are you will never have enough elevator power to rotate it. You need at least 1.5 degrees positive and then when it is going fast enough it will lift off by itself. If you try to heave it off it will jump into the air and then just as likely stall itself back into the ground unless you are super quick at pumping in the down elevator. I found the supplied u/c nose leg really wasn't quite long enough or strong enough so wound myself a new one with enough length to give about 5 degrees positive if I wanted. The down side of this of course is when landing you really have to bring it in nose high and slow otherwise you will bounce your way down the runway but if the CofG is in the right place (about 10.5 inches back from the leading edge at the root) it won't bite but will slow down nicely and mush in nose high. See my video at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwlWQbv39NE especially the practice approaches. On the landing I actually did exactly what I am saying you shouldn't. I apologise for that. Oh and make sure your runway area is stone free. Pushers are very prone to stones nicking propellors and at £4.50 minimum a prop that makes each flight pretty expensive. Guess how I know and how many props I have got through..... But it is a super flying aeroplane and I love it.

Alan