How local is your 'local flying field'?

JFH

I'm lucky enough to have somewhere only a few minutes drive away where I can enjoy my favourite hobby. This can't be a typical situation for everyone though – there must be people out there who have to travel further afield. In those cases, I guess it takes some real determination to keep it up. I'd be interested to read about any of you who have to show real dedication to continue flying.

Advert

Hi All,

I used to be able to fly at HMS Deadalus an old Naval air station on the south coast. Unfortunately when the Coastguard took the site over they stopped us flying. I now have to drive for 30-40 minutes to get to our new site which is a lot smaller ( 40 size engines ).
Although whilst at Deadalus there was never a safety issue as we policed our flying very strictly there seems to be nothing we can do that would enable us to use the site again.

Regards to all

Paul

My club field is about 25 minutes drive from here. It's worth the trip because it's a good field and a well run club. There used to be a field within a mile and a half, that I drove past to get to our club field. That is no longer in operation.

There's also a footy field that I could fly many of my smaller models at, which is only 100m away from where I'm sitting. I've flown there a few times, years ago, but there's not much fun in just flying on your todd.

We have a choice of three,my mates back lawn with an open field over the fence,good for small electric and gliders.
then the local football pitch for bigger electric.and we've just started to get a gang of us together and rented a field about ten minutes drive where we can fly the screamers

I'm a member of Manx Model Flyers and we fly on Jurby airfield an ex W.W.2 base, it is about 15 minutes from my house. We fly more or less anytime provided it is not in use by one of the other organisations such as Karting/drag racing etc. First time I flew there I suffered from agrophobia, it's so big. We use this facility for our annual fortnight's fly in & camp on the airfield flying dawn to dusk.Is it possible to over dose on flying? Contact our web site for details; www.manx-modelflyers.org.
We also slope soar all over the island & can accomodate most wind direction in a small space, The island is about 30 miles by 13 so no where is a long way. We also have a site in the south of the island but Jurby is favourite.

My field used to be 6 miles away but since time is short (I have 3 kids and a wife!) I have just got a mini heli so I can fly to my hearts content in the back garden.
Right, now I just need to learn to fly the thing! How about that showing real dedication to continue flying. LOL

My field is one of the oldest existing fields close to metro Sydney and at 20 acres, has been used for control line and RC flying for over 40 years, The field has, as long as I can remember been refered to as "Bed Rock", Because, it is.
Due to it's location, vandalism and drought have made it impossible to grow grass, we have tried, but to no avail. Gravel rash is a daily occurance. But it's our field and with luck will be for many more years to come.

One other thing, it's summer here in OZ and on a good Sunday morning the temperature can reach 40c (100f) by 11:00AM, it's great to have some of the best surf beachs in the world close by. The only shelter we have is a car port with a steel bench to work on, the bench is also the TX pound and the key board is mounted on it's end.

Clear Prop,

Dave Wadeson