Nasty accident

Kevinlad

I have a fairly large Stearman bipe, which was fitted with a very underpowered 44cc engine. I decided to fit a Fuji 86cc engine, and one beautiful evening I went down to the local beach to fly at sunset, all on my own, and not a soul in sight.

I kneeled down in front of the model (as I USED to do) and flicked it to start up. It started a little fast, and I automaticall put my left hand up to the top wing to restrain it - forgetting that it now had a 24" prop on, in place of the previous 18".

Result - a very deep wound halfway up my forearm - blood everywhere! (later told at the hospital that if the cut had been 2mm deeper it would have cut the artery and I might well not have lived to tell the tale! Fortunately I had a kitchen roll in the car (10 mins. walk up the beach) and bound it tightly round the arm (still lots of blood!) Then (foolishly?) I returned, retrieved and dismantled the model and drove home. Lots of blood around the gearstick & car floor......

My wife was in her dressing gown half asleep watching TV when this apparition burst in covered with blood and sand, demanding to be taken to A & E. Result- 3 days in Lancaster hospital, 25 stitches, and a healthier respect for large engines!

I'm still flying the Stearman (superb flier) but now I always start the engine - and all other engines - from the rear, easy enough to lean over the top wing to start. And I'm now very much aware: big engines bite hard!!

Advert

old warning dont attempt to go flying Alone with a large engined model...... chances are if you get caught by the prop and damage one of your main arteries.......you'll pass out with the 'shock' and probably bleed to death circa 15 min's is all it will take to drain you.... kulou ....you wont wake up ....

ken anderson ne..1 .......... kulou dept..

this is an old argument, there are those that see the dont fly alone brigade as alarmists, and fun crushers, in my time in this game, i have seen many many incidents like this, all that could have proved very bad, if it was not for mates in attendance, i even remember once, up on a slope ( millstones, for those that know it) when a glider guider went downwind to find his model that had landed out, 30minutes later, we went fo find him, he had twisted his ankle, and the wind was blowing his shouts away, on his own? he would have died, slopetrash, on here, was the victim of an accident, that still afects him now, mates saved the day, as for engines, it does not have to be a biggy, how about a merco 61? a guy flying alone, spilt the claret in an awfull way, it was only by staggering to a building, and raising the alam hiself, that led to him, and all his gear, which he had left, being rescued, its not recomended,

I would suggest that Kevin's original post was a warning to plan ahead. There is no reason not to do things on ones own in most circumstances. I, and many others, from anglers to Full size pilots have been doing the lone bit for years. I admit I like to do things with some company, however half of what I have done in my life would NOT have taken place had I required company. Self reliance practiced regularly tends to encourage careful, not fearful, activity.

Stay safe guys, and "think before you leap" as most incidents happen when in company with others.

Thank goodness that Ken and Flytilbroke have placed things in perspective.

Just think Wainwright may have never written his books, Lindbergh and Bleriot for two would have also had issues. According to Rospa there were over 500,000 serious accidents in the home, is it practical to always have some one with you.

I do accept that there is a lot of merit, to having help, with very large models which powerful engines (which would include 60's), just for the sake of safety, not all models though.

Given gardening is one of the most dangerous activities, I do wonder at the safety of commercial and domestic gardeners with power tools, particularly hedge trimmers, chain saws, particularly when operated alone. The Rospa data base seems to indicate RC modelling does not even register.

I think the main point is as again suggested, we need to think carefully when we do anything with respect to safety. Singular activities, with particular reference to model flying, suggest we should where possible carry a mobile phone and above all think what we are doing, or think of doing.

For operators of small electric models, my risks, are different in nature and scale to some other model types. Still need managing though.

I often fly alone but would never start an unrestrained model or reach over a spinning prop. Famous last words I know but if I did not fly alone I would not get much flying in. I find it distracting having a club mate chatting to me while starting.

I also fly alone alot. I used to fly my Raptor 90se on my own a lot as well. I do understand the dangers of being on my own, so i just be as careful as i can. I always use a restraint on my planes. I also really enjoy being on my own when flying,i tend to make less mistakes when nobody is around to distract me.

I can see that propellers are an issue. Yet for us modellers it can be one issue of many, some potentially very serious.

I have seen that remote starters are now becoming available for larger motors now. Perhaps that is the way to go.

Recently I saw a small bandsaw for sale, the price was effectively nothing but pocket money prices. I was very tempted, enough at the time to mention it to my father. His reaction was, not a good idea for you. Why, I asked? Well you have that jigsaw in your garage. More importantly I have seen a number of people loose fingers to the things, with your jigsaw you could get a nasty gash if careless. But my Dremel is slow and not that good. You are correct, your Dremel thing is not brilliant, good enough for a hobbyist, you would do better and buy a proper jigsaw.

My point is that we can avoid some dangers, some others are very real and present. We need to consider how to manage them if accepting risk, or on reflection, accept an almost inevitable lapse of concentration, absent minded action will lead to disaster at a personal level. Then ensure that inevitable does not occur..

I am not against large model aircraft, although I do think extreme care is needed in operation and location, ensuring we remain safe, in addition to the general public and property.

An accident (which I have had) with an ED Bee is potentially less serious, than a OS 40 FSR, a 60 has even greater potential. At a local club, I have seen the results of damage with a 60, very disturbing. I would not want to see the results from an argument with a big petrol engined model.

Being a local, a visit to Barton, indicates that it is possible to handle a CL Diesel without needing to strap down etc.

It is all about horses for courses.

Yet it is familiarity and confidence that catches us all out.

Perhaps I should have mentioned in my original post, that I normally use a skewer & doglead restrainer, but on the evening in question rushed off to the beach and forgot to take it. And thought, sod it, it will be OK, as I'm careful...........(famous last words...)

I'm much more careful now, so it was a lesson well learned and lucky it wasn't more serious

Thanks for all the replies and good advice.

Kevin.

As a rule I will not go to the club if I am tired. Working shifts means if I do not go when I get a chance then I will never fly.

Once I went on a Sunday to my club and it was packed with members. I had just started the 46fx in the pawnee when a small 40" or so span model landed by me. The model had loss signal and I had not heard the warning shouts over the sound of the 46fx running. Dread to think what could of happened if the model had hit just as I was moving to the back of the Pawnee.

Edited By MikeS on 01/07/2012 19:21:36