Sub standard pilots!

Well I have never seen that in a real Yak!

I had quite a mixed day today, 4 flights with the Funfly. Engine still having problems. Dad did the first landing, one of my landings was fine, another fine but in the field and a bad one where it hit the parked Wot 4 Foam E! No damage to either plane, and I've learnt a lot! I had a go with the Wot, and landed that perfectly.

New tank for next time, so the engine should be alright. The plane has some small scratches but is still perfectly airworthy, so actually it was a success!

CS

I had the same problem on only the second flight with my Seagull Yak, I re-attached the head by key hole surgery so as not to damage the canopy by trying to remove it. The very next flight the body part of the pilot then started to come away and as the pilot is made of very brittle plastic it was not a clean break-away, it was only stuck to the sticky film base. My solution was to cut around the base of the pilot keeping as close to the outline of the pilot as I could so I could extract the pilot thru the bottom of the cockpit. I repaired, repainted and added support to the pilot by running a short length of dowel though the base and up into the head, the model has now flown numerous time since without a problem.

• 6 months later...

I have noticed on a hot day here, my pilots get very woobly due to the hot glue that holds them in place. Note to oneself.... Use epoxy instead.

Also, the magnets that hold canopies and cowlings on often pull out on a hot day due to the glue melting especially on foamies. Another note to oneself.... Leave the plane in the shade when not flying.

Queensland can be a real hot place.

Posted by Panther on 26/02/2013 10:44:18:

I have noticed on a hot day here, my pilots get very woobly due to the hot glue that holds them in place. Note to oneself.... Use epoxy instead.

Also, the magnets that hold canopies and cowlings on often pull out on a hot day due to the glue melting especially on foamies. Another note to oneself.... Leave the plane in the shade when not flying.

Also in extreme heat, some receivers are known to fail - notably Futaba FASST.

I'm also aware that canopies are known to melt and warp too.

Luckily we very, very rarely have such problems here in the UK! teeth 2

Si.

Posted by Simon Chambers on 26/02/2013 21:36:56:
Posted by Panther on 26/02/2013 10:44:18:

Also in extreme heat, some receivers are known to fail - notably Futaba FASST.

I'm also aware that canopies are known to melt and warp too.

Luckily we very, very rarely have such problems here in the UK! teeth 2

Si.

True Simon, the canopy on my T28 has bowed and all the styro inside the cockpit has gone bubbly from the heat, Very dissapointing.

This decided me to order a balsa/ply model next and guess what, all the film covering went saggy in the heat. So I had to recover the entire fuselage and reshrink the wing film. (see Sukhoi in my photos) My Sukhoi now has a red fuselage. Looks better anyway.

Edited By Panther on 26/02/2013 22:56:25

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by savedbytheground on 08/03/2013 19:43:15:

Hi Peter

What was the manoeuvre that pulled that much?

John

Vertical dive with hard pull outgenerated 14.6. However normal full throttle aerobatics and the model pulled 13.2 G

Take off pulled 3.2 G. That was a 3lb 12 oz model with a Wankel engine.

hi guys anyone remember my seagull sorry er i mean graupner seafury review where i mentioned the pilot had lost his head, well it seems that seagull have changed the design for cheapness my old pilot in my yak54 has been absolutely fine, now however in seagulls attempts to make stuff cheaper the bodys are no longer solid, as a result they are fracturing and the solid heads are falling off, what is going on with seagull they are getting worse!!