OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer

The FY-20A appears a bit more advanced than the Axis, being able to switch it on and off in flight is a big plus. Unable to find it listed anywhere.

As the manual is on th HK site is it something they stock? Have never found the HK search engine much good and was unable to find it.

JC

I appreciate I'm mentioning the bare-board version which may not be affected as much as the heavier cased version but I'm using Velcro without a problem. I've attached it to the underside of the rudder/elevator servos at the rear of the cockpit and I can't get it to wobble.......smile

i86AP instal

I've flown the RF4 again today in winds I wouldn't have attempted before. Forecast was for steady breeze of 10kph, gusting to 25kph, and I don't think they were far out!

My flying site is notoriously prone to lumpy air due to surrounding trees so it was a real test.

IThe Fournier is a light model with fairly high aspect ratio wings and has always been very sensistive in both pitch and roll - to the point where I didn't get it out too often.

The i86AP did not prevent the model tipping over and dropping in downdraughts, etc, but it felt much more controllable than hitherto. There is a definite 'damped ' effect in the behaviour of the model. At altitude, it did not hold a heading without control inputs.

What is certain is that this device is not an autopilot - it won't fly the model for you - but it does make the 'difficult to fly' just that bit easier......smile

Pete

I've just been trying to fit it to my VMAR RF4 as it's the most twitchy of my fleet! Got the rudder working the right way, Elevator seems to be ok but only very small movements and the right aileron - nothing yet.

Will persevere later this evening as i want to try it tomorrow am at the strip.

Let us know how you get on.

Terry

Terry, Have you had any luck with this item in your RF4? I've attached mine to a Spektrum 6200 and rudder and elevator all work ok and correction is applied correctly but both ailerons move in the same direction! I'm sure I'm doing something dumb. I've had to move the control horn on one side to the opposite side of the servo which works but is hardly elegant. Any thoughts?

Chris

Hi

Not sure if you have read any of the previous posts.

On my first attempt both my ailerons worked in the same direction (like flaparons)

I found that if you have separate aileron servos and plug them into the left and right aileron outputs for some reason it doesn't appear to work.

I used a 'Y' lead and plugged it into just one of the aileron outputs, also as I had my aileron servos on separate channels ( 1&6) I turned off the flaperon option on my Tx it then worked fine!

Also worth noting if any surfaces work in the wrong direction you need to reverse the servo at the Tx and the Axis unit for it to change direction.

Mine is fitted to a very light Katana which I would normally only fly on very calm days, it is now flown in 15mph gusts without a problem.

Still requires some fine tuning to the gain controls, but overall very pleased with the first results.

Hope that helps

JC

Oooops, it drives me insane when people ask questions without reading previous posts and here I am doing just that....sorry! I have tried a Y lead on mine without success (Spektrum Tx and Rx)

Thanks for the info JC, I'll keep messing with it but looks like I'll end up having to use a miniature hardware servo reverser on one of the wings. Surely this is an issue with the unit if it isn't providing correct aileron outputs?

Chris

Posted by C Norton on 17/08/2012 13:02:11:

Oooops, it drives me insane when people ask questions without reading previous posts and here I am doing just that....sorry! I have tried a Y lead on mine without success (Spektrum Tx and Rx)

Thanks for the info JC, I'll keep messing with it but looks like I'll end up having to use a miniature hardware servo reverser on one of the wings. Surely this is an issue with the unit if it isn't providing correct aileron outputs?

Chris

Not an option for Spektrum gear. They tell you so.

Why not just connect to one servo only and see how that goes. Should still work remember we used to have pylon racers with only one aileron and they flew and turned ok.

That is my thought for using with an aircraft fitted with flaperons just got to get round to try when I set upmy glider.

Worth a try.

I know spectrum do not advise servo reverser but why do they supply one with the minature indoor linear servos?

Eric

Edited By Eric Strefford on 17/08/2012 21:05:53

I've used a reverser with Spektrum gear with no problems. My only concern about using only one aileron is, if a gust causes that wing to drop at low level and the system responds by dropping that aileron, then that's going to enhance the potential for a tip stall no end as presumably it will have to give more movement than if both ailerons were being used?

Having skip read the thread on that other forum I don't think they are any further ahead than us on working this thing out.

One poignant post points some important things out though, some of which were things I'd started thinking about that hadn't become fully formed thoughts yet for me. Let's try to list them here.

First get the correction direction correct, this has been stated before but can't be mentioned enough.

Next, this device has no self levelling function, if you let go of the sticks when the model is in a dive, it will do it's best to keep the model in a nice smooth dive right to the ground.

It doesn't know how fast the model is going, so will add the same amount of aileron correction to an unwanted bit of roll movement which may have different effects at different speeds.

Taking off with a tail dragger we usually allow the tail to rise on it's own before lifting the model off. This unit will try to keep the model tail down.

On a self correcting model such as a trainer, when we expect the model to correct it's self, this unit would try to keep the model going in the direction it was pointing.

So, there are some unwanted or unexpected results, and probably effects that we haven't thought of yet.

Not much use if it doesn't self-level. If you read my thread on the other posting "3 axis stabilisation units", you'll see why I believe that ! In that particular case it did level out as opposed to diving straight into the ground. My order for an Orange 3 axis is on backorder with HK; so I will be cancelling !!

Guys, this thread is starting to suffer from the modern tendency to over analyse everything and is straying from the original intent which was, I think, to record users experiences in testing. Its, as the name implies, a Flight Stabiliser not an Auto Pilot. Mine arrived on Friday and at some point I'll get around to sticking it in a well proven and trimmed model. I'm not the worlds greatest flyer so its simply a question of, does it make a difference? Yes, great, No bin it or try again. Modellers of even five years ago would have considered this module at this price as a significant step in RC.

If you want all the bells and whistles, I suggest you save your pennies and get an Eagle Tree Guardian.

1) It comes with full instructions!

2) Three modes of operation - controllable from your TX

OFF

2D - straight and level flight

3D - hold current flight path - eg knife edge, prop hang etc.

3) Gyro gain controllable from your TX, great for learning new manoeuvres - reduce the gain as you get more proficient.

Finaly - it works very well - does what it says on the tin, but at a price. You get what you pay for.

... and no, I don't have any connection with Eagle Tree, just a very statisfied customer.

Sparks

Edited By Sparks on 18/08/2012 23:30:54

Well said FF! I only bought mine to try in my RF4, an aircraft with those long, low profile wings prone to tip stalling. I fly in a failry small field surrounded by trees so it is often turbulent and the turn onto final has to be made at a low level. I'm not expecting or wanting this device to make me a better pilot but if it can stop my model from spinning in when I misjudge the speed slightly then it has to be good surely?

Posted by Fun Flyer on 18/08/2012 22:14:51:

Guys, this thread is starting to suffer from the modern tendency to over analyse everything and is straying from the original intent which was, I think, to record users experiences in testing. Its, as the name implies, a Flight Stabiliser not an Auto Pilot

Fun Flyer

You hit the nail on the head well done!

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and put it in a very light weight Katana. OK there were a few issues in setting up mainly because of the lack of instructions but most of the issues are covered in the posts here

One thing that isn't mentioned is siting, try get it as near as possible to the CG point.

I have now had six flights with the Axis and I love it! No its not auto pilot....and nor should it be, dose it make your flying smoother , yes it does!, does it enable you to fly in windier conditions than you normally would fly in yes!

All in all great value for money

JC

My ORX arrived yesterday. I was thinking about putting it in my PZ P-47D but when I pulled the hatch, I realised that I'd over-estimated the amount of free space in there.

I was also thinking about putting it into a Bixler with a load of LEDs on it. That sort of plane ought to make a good winter model to help make up for a very sparse Summer flying season.

Edited By NigelH on 30/08/2012 09:38:57

• 3 weeks later...