What cars type and model do the aged flyers use to transport their models

Tom Sharp

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Eric,

Used to take models on the bike in the 80's, generaly plug in / together wings, and bolt on tail planes. All nice and comfy in a purpose built box strapped to my back, with the tranny in the tank bag. That was on an old GS 750 (situp and beg riding position), wouldn't like to try it now on the 1200 bandit with all of the go quick bit's on.

Cheers,

Chris.

For 12 years I carted the models around in Volvo 240 estates - it damn near bankrupted me!

I traded the last of the Volvos in for for a Vauxhall Vectra Estate in 2000. I thought at first I had a problem with it - I could no longer watch the fuel guage moving faster than the odometer! - I saved so much money in petrol and servicing in the first 18 months that I was able to pay off the HP.

I now have one of the new Vectras - best car i have ever owned, and the model carrying area (Vauxhall insist on calling it the cargo bay) is ginormous - I am thinking of sub-letting it to a housing association. Incredibly, it uses little more petrol than the old, and much smaller, Vectra.

The important thing is, if you try to cram models into a load bay which is too small, you are bound to damage them.  I can now load up a large aerobatic model, the club trainer, flight box, peg board et al, and still have room for the lovely lady!

I decided to go for the 2005 Vectra Estate too. (New) Saved £4000 on list price by buying it at the end of a month. 37 + MPG on petroleum spirit. Worst feature - those ******* indicator and wiper stalks. Rear seats fold completely flat and will take a 2 metre wing straight in. The new Mondeo looks good as well.

I agree about the indicator /wiperstalks - a pain in the fundament. I have had mine for 18 months, and I still get it wrong.

Also, the radio/cd player is a mess. You need a 1st class honours degree in IT just to set up your favourite stations.

The best bit it the cruise control. Even my humble 1.8 petrol is a bit light on the throttle, and it is easy to creep over the speed limit. At one time I often regarded the limits as "advisory", but with proliferation of speed cameras in my neck of the woods, using the cruise control has saved me from racking up the points.

Skoda Fabia vRS -

Will take either Twin Star or Acromaster fully assembled plus 2 or 3 smaller  foamies [e.g. Funjet / Zagi clone / EPP Yak] and support boxes without lowering the back seats.

Goes better than a MINI Cooper and refuses to use more than a gallon of paraffin every 50-60miles depending on my frame of mind! 

Perfect transport for someone old enough to know better, also hugely satisfying tool for instilling respect in the hearts of young chavs in tarted up Corsas.

I use a Porsche 944 s3, as with many of the other correspondents, the rear seats fold down (seats are suitable for full grown adults, with legs removed below knees, incredibly comfy accept for the foot room). Or my wifes BMW 1 series, similar deal., but you can keep your lower legs.

The porsche is a real load carrier, bags of space. It has a 0 to 60 of 9s according to Porsche, somthing in the +4s according to some road testers. All I know it takes loads of models, can accelerate like a runaway train above 40mph, runs out of energy at about 150mph on the autobahn, yet returns 30-36mpg.

I have come to preffer the 1 series, returns 45mpg, bags of space. It can go quite well if need be. Far better than the 3 series she had, no space, no grunt, needed a tanker to keep it rolling.

As for my daughters Metro, now micra, no space, no go, makes the Porsche seem like a fuel miser.

Pedal to the metal (well just a little depressed if appropriate)

Regards

Erfolg   

Chris I always wondered why I became grumpy! I thought it might have been my ex .I must admit I would know what to change in it to make into a much better hangar/sleeping / cooking /environment   _ but it would detract from its value if got rid of the useless shower/fridge/spare bunks/cupboards/passenger seat/porta potti I think.  Having lived some years on my boat I got used to "bucket & chuck it"Not everyone wants the perfect mobile hanger & if I change it ,I will get a nice big van and just incorporate the bare essentials .ie 12v lipo charging set up & one of those new bags to stop fire breaking out /minimum 3 -12v batteries/tank full of nitro stuff/nice big wooden bench(which I already have actually)/optics/coolbox for real ale /shelves for wings/etc.etc & I suppose a trailer for me to sleep in!Dream on Eh! Food for thought though .Only one problem -How do I keep in touch on my lap top to annoy folks?

Volvo XC90 which  has plenty of room for most occassions. Also have a caravan which has a fixed double bed with HUGE storage underneath - absolutely ideal for taking loads of airframes. The excuse is that although the space is large, we cannot put heavy things in there as it would upset the balance of the 'van!

My ideal would be a 4x4 Transit but even if I could find one I don't think it would go down well with Mrs. B.

Regards,

Gordon.

To be honest I loved my old Elddis (it was actually a Merc based Autocirrus) but it had to go as I wasn't using it enough to justify it.  Good point Myron about the value, bought mine with a little work needing doing for £5000 sold it within a year for nearly twice that!  Keep it standard.

I'm suprised more modellers don't use motorcaravans, it is so handy to have a warm, dry, wind free room to work on your model.  Add to that the fact you have your own facilities with you at the field then there is no comparison.  In a couple of years when I may have more leisure time I'll have another deffo!

Another unnerving point, I too used to have a boat some years ago, maybe I am a Myron clone?  

Chris  Nice to hear from you .Yes I have owned a 33 footer 61/2 foot draught double ender (Iroko on oak frames /44 ft mast sloop rigged/ (CHAKAAS KRAAL)a couple of "plastic" small volvo powered mini gin palaces  to make money on only & best of all a "Dunkirk Little Ship" vintage 1907called "ORELLANA" ,Converted steam pinnace to gaff ketch rig with100 HP ford diesel .Needless to say I didn't do much aero modelling on it . Sorry I'm deviating slightly off thread Ipaid £6500 for the van about 5 years ago & its taken me all round France & UK No probs touch wood! I will keep it as it is even with the aforementioned inadequacies for a flying freek