What cars type and model do the aged flyers use to transport their models

Tom Sharp

Advert

Mine's a '79 Mini Clubman Estate.  At my age (don't ask!), and flying small to medium-size models, usually not too far from home, it's fine. Plenty of room, with the back seats folded down. If necessary I can take out the front passenger seat as well in a couple of minutes, and make room for a wing or fuselage up to 2 metres long.  

MGB GT- Well, I am young, and I can get a trainer in the back with the passenger seat folded foward, or a smaller aeroplane in the passenger seat and footwell if the wings come off. Currently doing between 17 and 22 mpg, but insurance is cheap and at my age that's important.

I'm not sure which is more fun- driving to the flying field and back, or flying?

I hve a subaru legacy estate 4wd it is very good with lots of space in the back with the seats foldered down  also it is good on soft ground or muddy fields specially with the low ratio gear lever shift. my mpg is around 28-30 whitch is not to bad for a 2.0 ltr. car

You don't say  i am going to work on the rust issues this summer

But it's not a big problem on my Fiat, it's a old lady that had it before me, and it is in a very good condition, it has only run for 50000km, and that's all. Very good condition. I hope I can keep it in good shape for the next 3 years, and then keep it as veteran.

When i first passed my driving test i used to take all my models in my Mini 1000 .

Was very tight when i had my planes my best mate and his planes in the car .But great fun driving the best little car in the world !! going out to do the best hobbie in the world !! Happy Days.

Now i take the wife Vectra estate when she lets me!! as my truck is a bit to big to go flying in.  

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an old 1982 VW Microbus and fully restored it fitting a Ford Saffire V6 engine. Its main purpose was to transport my quad daughter but it doubled very nicely as a model transporter as I have removed the back seats. Her company has now given her a Merc Vito so the VW is all mine BUT a few weeks back my Son in Law borrowed it and wrecked the gearbox.

Now I can choose between my Wifes Toyota Camry but the seats dont fold & I think she may object to fuel spills on the upholstery or my Mazda MX6. OK, the seats do fold down but once my 25% Edge is in there is no room for me.

Will have to consider touring the scrapyards to find a cheap gearbox. Only problem with that is I will be spending time fixing the thing & not building or flying. Perhaps I should "borrow" my Daughters company Vito. Hmmm.

Hi All, Since my last post on this subject  I've got rid of my Rover 820. Two weeks ago I got myself a Honda Accord, yesterday morning my lovely Honda was hit by an un-insured driver and it's now a total write-off. I'll let you all know what I get when I replace it !

PS. HAPPY EASTER to you all

Gday all ,from sunny Western Ausralia.  I have been reading with interest the types of vehicles used to carry your models - some of which are not used here.  I have a Hyundai Accent 5 door  - very roomy as t

he rear seats fold flat  like a station wagon - also economical on fuel (very expensive - $1.52 per litre!) Happy flying, I enjoy RCM&E , and look forward to each free plan.

Gary Eyre, Quairading, Western Australia 

• 3 months later...