Feels like autumn is approaching, what have you been flying?

After a frustrating afternoon at my club last Wednesday which was cold and with a 90 degree X wind when I couldn't hand start my Boomerang with the ASP 52 FS and then, against my better judgement, flew my DB Sport and Scale Tiger Moth in unsuitable conditions 'because it was there' and popped 3 out of 4 of the cabane structure mounts, what a pleasure this afternoon was in comparison!

I was joined by Richard Hansford who brought his CAP 58" - Laser 80FS. This is a beautifully finished aeroplane.

A loan of Richard's electric starter had my Boomerang's ASP 52FS up and running straight away! I am now an electric starter convert and one is already on order from Just Engines! As a mainly 'leccy' flyer to date I have to accept that IC has a certain 'thing' which I like very much. Richard was able to further tune my engine at both ends and with a replacement improved Model Technics plug had it purring away! I was in my element - I like the heavier aeroplane feel - just seems to fly better then my lighter 'leccy' ones'. Will I give my 'leccy' aeroplanes up? Certainly not. Will I do more IC flying - Definitely yes!

A few pics of Richard's Cap taken in an increasing gloom below.

dsc_0377.jpg

dsc_0378.jpg

dsc_0380.jpg

dsc_0398a.jpg

dsc_0403a.jpg

Richard is in the process of trimming this aeroplane out but still flew a very nice demonstration of aerobatics until we lost the light.

Terry

Advert

Yet another windless day, rather damp and a very grey aspect to the day. Perfect to get into the park, behind the house, straight across to the 9 hole golf course and fly my indoor/outdoor Depron park flyer.

Now having fixed the broken back, the recalcitrant model one again became a pussy cat. Round and round I went, getting a bit boring this. Then the course seems to have closed in on me, the hole I fly on being bounded in by trees. Having twice landed in the trees, I am now keenly aware of their EVIL presence. Yet I am sure I can squeeze a loop in. This I did, not as easy as i thought, now the model seemed to be a little overactive on the elevator. On and on I flew, until I knew I had to land, OMG, i got that wrong, as the model first dived down, then pitched up. Another circuit another approach, this time successful.

Disconnecting the battery, I saw that one of the balanced elevators was hanging loosish. Now I know I throughly inspected the model after repairs, and again on arming. Perhaps, Depron ages with time, or perhaps, the printed film covering can hide internal fractures.

A almost throw away comment by Dave Royds, in feed back on one of the site threads, makes all the difference with these type of models. That is turning is primarily a rudder operation. The aileron, just controlling roll, not turning the model. I just wonder how many more tips there are, to improve flying this type of model.

Yesterday was club day, at our field, it was as today, windless. I know winter is here, and it is time for a new headline. Why? Because i am the first again, no longer confronted by recliners, sun brollies, bodies dowsed in sun tan oil, sipping Pina Colardas. No the gate is firmly padlocked, the grass damp, nothing moving. Far less cows about, as they are taken indoors as the grass is far less abundant.

I took 4 models and flew 3. I was the turn for my Depron Delta, it flew wonderfully, I am tempted to fly it more frequently, the soft beat of the two propellers is attractive to me. Low passes a thrill, climbing rolls, great to see. Unfortunately yet another repair though. After making a really nice, nose high landing, with a hint of wing rock, which indicates it is stalled, the model sinking to the ground. A after flight inspection revealed one rough turning motor. Dam and blast, Got im Himmel, another bent shaft.

Getting home and later in the night, I decided to change the motor shaft. Good job I bought some spare shafts I thought. Now getting the shaft out was a problem, though eventually achieved. Getting ready to insert te new shaft, I then realised, it was not the shaft that was the problem, it was the rear bearing, it had seized. Having a spare motor I will replace it later.

My Nobler continues to fly well, now the missing watts have been found. Dam careless loosing them. I guess the issue is the gradual failure of Lipos over time. Anyway, loops are no longer an issue, all the other manoeuvres as before, although I have not retried a bunt yet.

What about the other modellers, yes they did turn up, in dribs and drabs. Well most just flew, in a non eventual way, no thermals hooked, the air being deadish. So it was mainly sports models.

There was one exception, probably one of our more accomplished fliers, had an eventful afternoon. He turned up with a Ripmax Bf 109, which he flew well, that is until it suddenly decided to spiral and dive in, some distance away. I recovered it, it was hard to tell what the issue was, the radio worked, a top of the range, rather expensive brand. The next model up was a Mig 15, this was bungeed away, before going in. I suspect, that not enough speed was achieved before attempting to climb away. That is only a guess though.

So I am well pleased with the last few days.

Now I have started to obsess about Wind Turbines, I got the old binoculars out, to see if they are working. Cannot tell with all the clag, although i have noticed as we travelled in Cunbria last week end, most were not there.

Edited By Erfolg on 15/11/2012 11:53:08

Edited By Erfolg on 15/11/2012 11:54:16

Loving these almost windless days at the moment. Managed a whole day yesterday and 3 hours this afternoon after the fog had gone! It's the first time since February I've been able to get my Tiger Moth out. I have absolutely loved flying it these past 2 days. It makes a nice change from my silly overpowered WOT4 and monster Taylorcraft.

Andy

Posted by Erfolg on 04/11/2012 16:01:07:

I do not know about your field, at ours the sun is in the wrong position, especially in the morning, at this time of year.

Very early in the morning the sun is to our right blinding us on the approach but by mid morning it is behind us nicely tucked out the way.

Well with no wind and grey skies yesterday it had to be a flying day, I arrived at the patch with a car full of eager models and great expectations.

Breathing out condensation I was surprised that it felt quiet mild and also to see two other members already up flying. So first out was the Pulse XT 25 but then decided to go with the P40 instead after its retract collet repair. A good flight followed with a greaser of a landingwink.

Next well time for the screw driver and the new ASP70 FS that has been sulking in the Piper Pawnee since its last non idling run. After a little run to warm it up I adjusted the low end needle in as a little rich. This carried on for the next twenty min's or so until I could get a fair idle but still a little boggy on the low end. After a quick chat with the FS guru it was decided to take the Pawnee to the skies and let the 70 have a bit more running in. Two flights later things had improved so will leave the needles set and carry on with some more running in.

By now there was some ten members down the club and the sky was busy with mostly four strokes fly around in formation apart from one pesky two stoke in a P40 that kept upsetting thingsangel 2.

Dougs (Delta Whiskey)Saitio was refusing to start. An earlier tank problem had solved a different problem but now it would not start. it would fire, run then quit. After a little head scratching a kinked fuel tube was the issue. Once replaced the Saito did what Saito's do and was dragging the airframe round the skies.

Now we all made way for a petrol engine monster of a plane. Wing span at a guess around 120". Not sure of the type think it was a bit like an Extra This was flown with a skill that made the rest of us wonder why we were even there.

All in a good day's flying.

Maidened H9 F4U Corsair today - just a four clicks of up elevator needed and she was flying hands off in the late Autumn sunshine. E Flite retracts worked fine and cleaned the model up nicely when flying. Unfortunately some inconsiderate prats had churned up most of the good ground where we fly so on landing the model lost a wheel in a rut but no damage ensued so I'm really happy.

Hoping to go again tomorrow when I will try to really put it through its paces...

img_0472.jpg

Edited By Jon Laughton on 16/11/2012 17:23:01

It was a good day yesterday indeed with Mike and other members and it's been quite a while since the IC models outnumbered the electric ones, it did get quite noisy at times! Mike P40 was good to see with the retracts holding up fine !

Shame about today, I was itching to get out and test the Saito more ! Still Sunday looks good smiley

Terry Walters visited today to pick up his Xmas stock of peculiarly-British golden nectar, gathered by me on my recent trip to Blighty (unfortunately driving away without his hat and 3 fuel tanks I had given him!).

This was a fine excuse to enjoy the balmy weather, with cloud-free skies, we've been enjoying here recently, so he brought along his HK Phoenix glider and recently-completed E-Flite Cub 25. Not to be outdone, I had my Cub 25 ready to go, together with my HK Salto, Phoenix Tiger Moth and, inevitably, my trusty Rainbow.

Ditching his 3000mAh pack for a 2200mAh on his Cub, he was quite impressed by how much better it flew with a more rearward C of G - just like mine, in fact! Both looked brilliant against the deep blue sky but keeping some separation between the two was wise.....smile

Terry's on approach:

Terrys Cub 161112

The gentle warmth (yes, I'm rubbing it in for you guys, cloud and fog-bound over the Channelteeth 2) gave us high hopes for finding some lift, so out came the gliders:

Salto/Phoenix 161112

I wouldn't put the Salto in the 'relaxing flying' category - I slowed it up too much just once and the tip-stall was seriously vicious - but height was on my side, so no problems. Whilst in no way a thermaller, a bit of flap kept her in good air and a 20 min flight was had for about 3 mins of motor run - but there were other models to flysmile p

The Phoenix is very impressive for its price and has to be the bargain of the yearthumbs up

Terry was sniffing out lift and it seems to be pretty versatile, able to gain height easily yet still with a good turn of speed when its nose goes down. I think he flew longer than me with an even shorter motor run.

I really mustn't be tempted - I've a Ventus and a Discus still awaiting my attention........crook

As the sun began to dip, the southerly breeze eased and I had an enjoyable flight with the Tiger Moth, which seems to look and fly better each time she comes out. It's not difficult to fly but you have to be on it all the time as it prefers flying left and up, despite plenty of right- and down-thrust and numerous tweaks of the rigging.

It looked particularly good flying towards the setting sun but unfortunately the DSLR decided to stop playing ball, so no pics..........sad

Final trip of the day was tail-chasing Terry's Cub with my 808 #16 - equipped Rainbow. Once again, the gremlins got in, as for some reason I can't edit the video - off to RCG for an answer to that one, hopefully.......

A pity, as he must have been in frame for up to several seconds at a time (better than we've managed before) and there's a memorable near-miss..........smile oteeth 2

Hope the weather lasts a bit longer......smile d

Pete

Hi Pete - yes a good afternoon out! I wondered why my head was cold! I think I left the 'goodies' there because I was still in shock by the transformation of the Cub - what a delight to fly. All that deliberation re COG in the morning before I came up was worthwhile!

Your Tiger Moth is getting properly sorted now -very nice to watch - I had to stop myself waving to the pilot as he flew by on a low pass! I need to trim my DB Sport and Scale one a little better to compete now!

That last flight as the sun was setting was a really memorable one! It doesn't get much better than that does it?

Thanks for the cake!

Looking forward to the vid!

Terry

Unfortunately, the video is unusable - I installed the latest firmware on my 808 #16 keycam and the AVI version creates uneditable AVI files.....crook

All sorted now, though....smile

You'll be pleased to know Terry has been reunited with his hat and fuel tanks as I met him down at his club site today. Rather overcast with some glimpses of sunshine and just an occasional bit of breeze but pleasant enough.

I took my CG Cub, Phoenix Decathlon, red VMAR Fournier (now with Eagle A3 Pro stabiliser) and the Salto. A quick check that I've got all I need: Tx - check, Li-Po's - check. Ready to go, thenthumbs upsmile

Terry arrived with his E-Flite Cub, blue VMAR Fournier (fettled with new servos) and ASP 52 4t engined Boomerang. He did a quick check, too: Tx - check, Li-Po's - check, gallon of fuel - check, electric starter - check, glow starter - check, chicken stick - check, rag - check, model cleaning kit - check, fuel pump - che...aah! Rummage through van - no fuel pumpsad

" Any other way to fill the tank?" "Only if I take it out........"face 8

Boomerang de-rigged and put back in van..........wink 2

The joys of IC, eh?......teeth 2

Anyway, with his other models, all was not lost and we had a good afternoon. My Salto is pretty well sorted now and moves through the air with a very satisfying whoosh and whistle.

Climbing out - I'm quite over the moon with this beastie.....smile p

salto

Very steady provided you keep a little speed on.......

salto

......and she holds a good glide with some very nice passes along the runway:

salto

Terry is enjoying his Cub, to the extent that he confidently demonstrated its inverted flight capabilities:

Terrys Cub 191112

Taxiing back in, that certainly looks like Terry in the driving seat - well, 10 years ago, perhaps!:

Terrys Cub 191112

All the other models flew well and we carried on until the sun was dipping below the horizon.

Pity about the Boomer, Terry - I was looking forward to seeing it but look on the bright side - no cleaning tonight!! teeth 2

Pete

Well Pete looks like some of my pics came out ok then! Lucky I hadn't got nasty oily fuel over my hands after all - all clouds have a silver lining! Salto looks very nice doesn't it.

Piper Cub is so much better now COG is sorted.

Now you need to treat yourself to HK Phoenix 2000................................... you know you want to......

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been particularly well over the last 2 weeks, although i managed a walk along the beach at Allonby. For once I was not tempted to get a model out of the boot, even though there was little wind, the tide was well out, broad expanses of sand exposed.

After Saturday the weather went down hill, no chance to fly. as there was initially rain and then wind. However today, the sun shone, frost glistened on my car. Yes it was time to go and fly a model in the park. I did not really enjoy it, content to just circle and land. the cold sapping what energy i had.

On my return home, my wife said, you have an appointment with the doctor at 11:00. I am not going, I am allright. You will go, your daughter phoned last night, to say, she had very serious concerns with respect to dads health. You will go, or we will not be speaking and you will be looking after yourself.

I have been to the doctors, I have pneumonia. I have a box of antibiotics, a inhaler, together with an appointment for next week, made by the doctor and an instruction if my health declines further, to come back before the appointment.

So I guess there is a lesson for all of us, if your flying is not giving pleasure, when it should and you are under the weather. Go and see the doctor. It is just the residual symptoms of a cold may not be right.

Terry

Thank you.

The little missive is intended to get us male modellers to look after ourselves a little more. We all tend to just soldier on, that is what we have always done. When young you get away with this approach. Now being older, more prudence is required.

To be honest, I did not know that pneumonia sort of sneaks up, you get more lethargic, you sleep is of poor quality, you keep coughing.

The sad part is, with better health, it would not have been one flight, it would have been at least another. As I look into the park, I still want to get in there with a model. Just do not have the strength, nor mental agility.

Erfolg,

I'm sure I speak for many on here when I say how sorry I am to hear you are unwell. You are so right, as young men we believe we are invincible! But time teaches us that is not so and we all sometimes have to admit we too can get unwell. Like you I believe us "bloke-modellers" are the worst of all for that. We do tend to soldier-on not admitting we need a bit of help.

Anyway - well done to the ladies in your life for putting their foot down and getting you along to the quack. I'm sure that with the TLC they provide, and the doctor's magic potions, you'll soon be back on your feet and stirring the stick again. In the meantime look after yourself!

BEB

Erfolg. Yes we can be idiots at times.

I also had pneumonia back in April after getting wet at Thorpe Park. Thought I had a bad chill, went in to work and just carried on. My temp was very high and I had no energy at all but still carried on.

I kept falling asleep when sitting down and when getting up at 3am for work would fall asleep sitting on the bed at this point I new something was not right but still carried on.

Finally when I was stuggling to breath I went to the doctors and was given the news. My oyxgen was at around 93%. Dr said if it hits 92% you will be in hospital. Three weeks off work but took me some eight weeks to fully recover.

Keep in the warm and get well soon the flying will have to wait.

Mike