Feels like autumn is approaching, what have you been flying?

It was the same last year, back from the Nats and it's suddenly cooler and autumnal, ah well, that was summer 2012 that was.

I popped down the field today with the H9 Christen Eagle and had two flights before the engine started coughing so I bought it home to check the plumbing etc. It's a bipe so I'd prefer not to test the glide smile

Anyone had some stick time this weekend?

Advert

This weekend only flew at field on Saturday:-

Trex 600ESP with MD500E body (having just added full lighting)

Eurocopter "Squirrel" with Hirobo Shuttle mechanics.

FireFly delta with 3 Axis gyro. (for some tail in grass inverted and one metre up rolls time)

Multiplex Mini-Mag........ with close to 400 watts (hold vertical and let go)

Today, almost a day off, just TRex 500 (2 of) in garden.

Took my Chippie out for an airing yesterday. Test flew a new U2 for someone, watched one of my pupils pass his A test, test flew a repaired trainer and did some instructing - then ran the mower over the field 'cos the grass has grown like it's the height of summer this week...no, it didn't feel like autumn - until it started getting dark at 8 o'clock. sad

Today, Sunday apparently is officially the first day of Autumn.

At the field, the clouds were high, the sun occasionally peeping out from behind a cloud, not chilli, certainly not warm. Three chairs sat in the middle of a field, with three elderly gentleman (as we think of ourselves), discussing, well, was there a summer. Suddenly one lept to there feet, switched on a Tx then Rx, wiggled the sticks. Count the wings, one and , yes, two. Gave the transmitter a once over. Hmm, nice shiny silver, oh yes, out put, hmm showing something, all switches still there.

I then launched, flew my incredibly complex aerobatic pattern, a loop, stall turn, inverted, Immelman, a couple of rolls, then a chandelle. Well that them done in my head, could I do one for real? Now that is another question.

Whilst flying, I heard ohhhh Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and crump. Time to land I thought and search for a fellow members model. In doing so, rolling under a barbed wire fence and electric fence I was stung through my trousers by nettles (protectinga new Hawthorn hedge from cows). Then I saw it, a Hare, bounding along the hedge before diving through, The first I have seen this year, the unauthorised Lampers seemingly taking their toll. I did recover the model.

It was then back to the field, and onto my next model. This is a facsimile Nobler (by George Eldrich). Now it seemed to have issues, after launch, apparently burping its way along, as the motor cut in and out. After a few minutes I thought it was prudent to land. Trying the motor on the ground completely dead, although the Rx etc were still working.

The events were to much for the three grumpy old men, of they trouped, back home to moan about motor racing is not what it was. When TV was in Black & White.

I decided at home to do a proper investigation. I noted the cell voltage, tried the motor with the Watt meter plugged in. Recharged the lipo, made out a table of voltage and time, set up the stop watch, multimeter on each cell via the balance plug and Watt meter. Powered everything up and the motor was dead, The answer is one knackered ESC, so much for my statement of reliable electrics.

Ooooh!! I love my Bixler!! What a lovely mix of stability, power and soaring ability. I had over an hour with it yesterday(2 x 1300mah lipo's) which consisted of 4 launches and allowed me to tweak both the control and weight balance perameters to acheive optimum performance. Add to this I practiced coordinated turns, manually using rudder and aileron, 'kicking the ball'(turn and slip reference) to minimise adverse yaw and achieve the cleanest turns possible, whilst taking advantage of the superb thermal activity(it has been booming!) Today was the best, over 2 hours soaring using 2 x 1300mah and 1 x 1500mah lipo's. You could not fail to hit a thermal today. One thing though, I must remember to fit one of my low voltage alarms before flying again, although none of my batteries were below 11.8v on landing, it was pure guess work with such a fantastic mix of zero throttle soaring and normal powered flight. The forecast is for even better weather this week so I hope I'm well enough to be able to take advantage it, as I have two self designs to maiden now. Fingers crossed.

Bless

Radge

PS. Did I say I loved my Bixler!

According to the forecast tomorrow down here in sunny Welwyn Garden is going to be great. As a result all the batteries are charged, planes are polished and I have a day off work and no kids to look after (they're all doing other things!). I will probably be the only one down the strip but I've got all my sarnies made and flask prepped for a full day out. I'll be out from sunrise to sunset with my Yak 54, WOT 4 and Ryan STA. If the winds not too strong I might even take my Mini E panic.

Andy

Invited down to an Interclub meeting at Terry Walters' club site near Cahors today. The forecast 6kph breeze turned out to be nearer 15kph, gusting to about 30kph so there was a fair bit of Gallic sucking of air through teeth before anything took to the air................

By way of a change, it was only about 30deg off the runway direction, rather than the usual 90, so a bit of a luxury reallysmile

Despite that, it was sunny in the low 20's and there was a good selection of models, with several tugs and scale gliders in evidence, together with a 1/4 scale Sbach and a couple of other big 3D'ers, all but one petrol. A smattering of helis, too.

Terry was busy doing his hosting bit so didn't get much flying in during the day - he might add something about the bit he did - so Brit representation was limited to my Super Decathlon, CG Cub, Druine Akrobat and the Black Magic.

Watching some of the larger models fly was a tiny bit intimidating, TBH, and my 'big beasties' seemed to have shrunk in comparison. There was some impressive 3D work (not my bag, I'm afraid) and the tugs were busy shuttling the sailplanes skywards, without dramas.

However, nothing ventured, nothing gained, so each of mine got an airing, proving that the leccy models were just as capable of dealing with the conditions as the big jobbiessmile p

Best bit of the day was the ripple of applause after a Decathlon flight - it's a long, long time since I last had an audience of 50+ looking on!teeth 2

No piccies from me this time but Terry took a few - and I'm sure he'll be along in due coursethumbs up

Pete

We have been down in Westbury at the mother in laws new gaff, brought the Multiplex Merlin with me which I've been throwing off the top of the near by White Horse hill (probably not the correct name, but there is onl one horse on a hill right outside Westbury!). But blowy for a 800mm powered glider though, having to use almost full throttle to get any penetration at times smiley

Having such an amazing slope 5 mins from here has caused me to impulse purchase a Phoenix 2000 to keep down here, will hopefully bit a blast and a bit more stable than the Merlin in these big winds.

r.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 02/09/2012 21:19:51

Edited By Robin Kearney on 02/09/2012 21:20:49

Saturday I was invited to an informal GAD get together and barbie which was great. Flew my EDF Meteor , Black Magic aerobatic machine, my new DC-3, Horsa and plenty of flights with my trusty Mentor. Had a go at FPV which was cool and pranged my mossie after a slow hand launch.

Today at the Ramsey MAC I did many aerotows with the Mentor with the new Horsa in tow and plucked up the courage to try aerotowing the Horsa behind the DC-3. Two good aerotows put that demon to bed and continued practicing aerotows for the club open day on the 16th September. Also flew the repaired mossie and found she still flies as sweetly as ever. All in all an excellent day

Edited By Ady Hayward on 02/09/2012 21:51:21

When i first looked out this morning it was raining lightly, so I just took models that could be thrown back in the car quickly in the event of more rain. Formosa 2, Wot 4 foamy and the venerable Acrowot.

I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy flying the Acrowot and why I've botherd to resurrect it so many times. So - three flights with the Acrowot, three with the Formosa and two with the Wot 4. Now I've seen the forecast for tomorrow so it'll be log-on early to check there's been no disasters at work then a day off to go flying again.

First ever electric. A 28" span ail/ele jobbie from a free plan that came a few years back in the "other" mag

Good fun. I do a lot (most, actually) of my flying for the odd hour in the evenings on the way home from work. Under these circumstances, imo electric has the edge over setting up flight box, fuelling etc etc, when all you want is to get a couple of quick flights in

I'll never throw in the i.c. towel, but my horizons have been broadened wink

No flying down here in the south for me. No lipos charged and both my fx and ax 46 engine need repairs. My own fault as well.

Made a big mistake didn't I brought some Laser 5 for my laser 100 which I'm yet to run (brought at Xmas). Anyhow been running both the 46's on the laser 5. Did I check to see if the fuel has any castor in erm no I didn't.

Well it took it's toll on both engines and nacked the conrods.

I hadn't flown since the end of July until this afternoon. But that's mainly because I spent a fair chunk of August in Australia, sampling the season they call "winter". It seemed remarkably similar to what we call "summer", at least in Perth and Sydney, and a bit warmer than our summer at Ayers Rock and Cairns. I'll admit though that Melbourne and the ski slopes at Mt. Buller were rather closer to our idea of winter!

Anyway, today I hauled myself out to go flying and found only one other person there, the rest having absconded shortly before I arrived claiming that "it looked like raining." I had a few flights with my Sceadu until eventually the rain did actually arrive. Flying until 8pm is now just a memory, not to be repeated until next April...

Here's the two hopeful maidens this week, Big Radge & Mini Radge. Although I have a few on the go, these are the first radio control aeroplanes I have ever built. Ever! Boy am I nervous.

"No! No! You can't make me do it!"

"You will fly these aeroplanes my lad! Are you a man or a mouse!"

"Eek eek eek!"

(PS the front windscreen on the large one is a perspex battery hatch.....in case you thought it strangely prominent)

graduate & mini radge.jpg

Edited By Radge on 03/09/2012 00:15:14