Feels like autumn is approaching, what have you been flying?

Was determined to fly my 46" TN Spitfire last Wednesday in a blustery S blow! Plane flew brilliantly but landing was awfull! Got away with it though. Then on Friday the 'blow' had turned N.W. so sloped my Multiplex Merlin from the 'local' (abt 10 miles away) cliff, great fun!

Advert

Posted by Matthew Clive on 02/09/2012 20:31:50:

Really warm and sunny at greenacres today. Test flew my Yak 54 and smashed it to bits due to interference from the petrol ignition that was fine on the floor and during 5/6 circuits, never mind...ordered a 1/4 scale cub to put the bits in!

Edited By Matthew Clive on 02/09/2012 20:32:13

Really Matt? Really sorry to hear that, this was on 2.4?

Sunny eventually on Saturday in the NW but with a vicious cross wind and plenty of wind shear from the blasted trees it was not very pleasant to fly so after one longish sortie with the Sebart Katana I called it a day and went home to tidy the hangar / work on a project....

Sunday was as ususal completely different to Met Office forecast with the conditions varying constantly until mid/ late afternoon by which time I had already committed time to other things.

I just home we get some kind of late summer / good autumn or this year will have been a disaster

Posted by Pete B on 02/09/2012 21:14:04:Terry was busy doing his hosting bit so didn't get much flying in during the day - he might add something about the bit he did - so Brit representation was limited to my Super Decathlon, CG Cub, Druine Akrobat and the Black Magic.thumbs up

Pete

As Pete said it was my club's 'Interclub Day' yesterday so was a little busy Saturday setting up and Sunday dawned bright (not to last!) and breezy (got worse later!).

Good turn out and later in the afternoon Pete B said , not unreasonably, "Come on Terry - about time you flew something". So Pete got his Druine and I readied my Wot4 Balsa E of which I am very fond not knowing it was to be the last flight. Last pic of it below.

Last Pic of my Wot4 RIP

As I guy who wouldn't swerve to miss a rabbit or cat whilst driving I was appalled at what happened during the flight! It was a bit blowy with strong gusts and one of them decided to take off my hat. I instinctively made a grab for it with both hands - yep one had the Tx in it! Result - Tx falls to floor - gets pick up and Terry breathes a sigh of relief as there is plenty of height to recover the dive that the Wot4 has now entered. That would have been ok but as Terry stirred the sticks to no effect and the panic was rising he glanced down at the Tx and yes it had switched off. Despite switching on the boot up time was just about right for me to have time watch my pride and joy disappearing vertically into the wood in front of us! The conversation on the 'long walk' was not about how we might be lucky and find it intact but just how bad it might be. Expectations fully met on arrival at the scene of the impact. I noted with respect the hole in the ground made by the rather solid Wot4 - respect! Sorry - no need for an inquest on the forum - not the Tx, Rx, ESC, brown outs etc - just down to me. A neck strap beckons.............

Onwards and upwards.

Some more pics of the day:

Flight Line

dsc_0065.jpg

dsc_0070.jpg

dsc_0067a.jpg

Fly By

The last one was a full size with some of our younger members onboard doing a 'Fly By'! More in my album if you're interested.

Terry

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 03/09/2012 07:42:46:
Posted by Matthew Clive on 02/09/2012 20:31:50:

Really warm and sunny at greenacres today. Test flew my Yak 54 and smashed it to bits due to interference from the petrol ignition that was fine on the floor and during 5/6 circuits, never mind...ordered a 1/4 scale cub to put the bits in!

Edited By Matthew Clive on 02/09/2012 20:32:13

Really Matt? Really sorry to hear that, this was on 2.4?

Thanks. Yes on a genuine futaba 2.4 receiver.

The weather over here this weekend has been refreshingly cooler at 25-27C.

Over Saturday and Sunday I flew in no particular order:

Telink Tetra, Jamara Eppler, MPX Fun Cub, St Model ASW-17, FMS 2.3m Fox and a friends Fournier RF-4.

Brilliant weekend!

Also been out this evening and did two gentle flights with the ASW-17 in dead calm conditions; lovely.

Ok, so the weather's been pants all year but tonight, it looks like I may get in a couple of flights. After a walk down to the field to check the conditions, I walked back for the TX and my PZ P47-D.

I stepped outside, hooked the DX8 onto the metal clip on the strap only to watch it immediately drop to the floor and bounce from the tarmac onto the grass, the strap still around my neck. The metalwork was attached to the TX.

I can't see any marks on the outside. There is a slight noise from within the TX when I shake it. I don't know if that's normal.

I took it down to the field and did a range check with the AR600 in the BNF P-47D and only got to fifteen paces (not even full yards) before the model would not respond to the controls on reduced power. The model was on the grass with the gear up with the RX as PZ installed it. To be honest, I probably never did a range check with the model but today's tests suggest that things aren't right and that maybe my TX is bust ?

Someone on HelFreak experienced the same thing with his TX dropping off the strap. Never had that issue with my Futaba one.

Had a good fly today with the seagull extra it kept cutting out due to a leak in the fuel line that was soon fixed and back to the sky.

I then flew the irvine wildcard as the wind was gusting 15/20mph it made good fun as the craft was flying backwards and the landing was like a helicopter no runway needed.

Will be flying again tomorrow if the weather is kind...

Weasel vertical landing d.e.p smile o.....

I was flying all day yesterdaylaugh. I took my Yak 54, Ryan STA, Wot 4 and Mini Panic. I had such a good days flying. Unusually, for a Monday, quite a few others were at the strip too. I wish I'd could have taken my Tiger Moth too but no space left in the Mondeo! I even did a little bit of buddy box work for one of our trainees. I think our grass needs a good cut as it was difficult to get the tricycle undercarriage trainer off the deck. The only prob we had all day was the light and variable wind deciding to change round 180 degrees when you were on approach!!

Now got a lot of batteries to charge and planes to clean.

Andy

Sunday evening very late turned out to be the best bit of the day - so an outing for an hour or two saw six flights from:

"Chippie" a chipmunk style aerobatic model built from RCMW plans

"Nicholas Beazley NB4" a golden era plane built from RCSI plans (though I knocked the cowl ring offfrown)

and

"Coachman" a trainer style plane build from RCM&E plans (which struggles when the grass is long now - so it's off the concrete path!)

I had a lovely time flying my 1/5 (plus a bit) leccy Chipmunk last evening, unfortunately the light started to fade and that precluded a second flight. But was nice all the same. It did highlight how rusty I am though.

dsc_3001 (large).jpg

dsc_3011 (large).jpg

dsc_3005 (large).jpg

Photos courtesy of Chris Bott, and considering the fading light they are very good, well done Chris

Cheers

Danny