Feels like autumn is approaching, what have you been flying?

This is my treasure from the Nats swopmeet. BUSA DR1 with zenoah 26 which flies very nicely but has shown that it will bite if flown slowly and badly handled. Use of rudder is a must. A fw more handling flights are due before a repaint over the winter. Pic isBUSA DR1 tripelane

from a phone so don't expect too much

stu k

Advert

The first good weather we have had all year, since Sunday flown every evening, from acro wots pitts, to gliders igrand when you can walk out your front door and fly, Ger now stores his pitts in his car and Dave used his highly modifyed cloud jet to trim the hedges we laugh so much I thought my sides would split,

I just had three flights with my Crack Yak over the field outside my house this morning before the wind started to pick up. What a laugh that thing is.

Yesterday was windy. Very windy. So I headed for the local slope. It was so windy I couldn't get my Wild Thing launched. It flipped back over my head umpteen times, tore itself out of my hands before I could get to slope edge, smacked me in the mouth with a wing tip (twice), bent my transmitter aerial (would this be the most feeble excuse ever for going to 2.4?) and generally tumbled about the hilltop like a thing possessed. Just as well it's indestructible! I did get my recently acquired but old Phase 6 away though and had a good long flight with that. So I can't complain.

Looking nice for the weekend So, as soon as I get home from work tonight it's batteries charged and airframes checked. Gotta make a quick dash to to the LMS in the morning, to get some fuel, and then I'll be ready for the day. Will be stuffing most of the flyables in so I'd better drive carefully!

Andy

No flying down here in the south.

Weather is great but fleet even though airworth need minor things doing to them.

Pawnee needs it Laser 100 fitting so I can use the 46AX (in the Pawnee) in the P40B. The Pulse XT 25 is ready though. All minor things but no real free time to get on with it.

Might get out Tuesday afternoon and tangle with the local Sparrow Hawks.

Mike

It's not been a really good summer has it?

Well yesterday was brilliant, flat calm at times but mostly with a very light breeze along the strip. I'm almost glad summer is over and we can get some decent weather dont know.

So, out with a couple of old favourties and the best flying I've had since April. Both engines started immediately after a little prime by hand and performed brilliantly all day without the need for any tuning.

Flying Aces Sportster

se5 1(2).jpg

Arrived at 1300 hrs and forced myself to leave at 1900, wish I could have stayed longer.

Edited By Ian Jones on 08/09/2012 15:22:32

Flew the Acrowot this morning at one site, all went well.

Home for lunch, then on to a second site for the afternoon, more flights with the Acrowot, but on the second and third flights I slowed up too much. Obviously I didn't learn from the first one.
On both occasions the hard landings broke the nylon screws holding the undercarriage on.

As I only had one spare set of screws, that was the end of Acrowot flying for the day.

After that, I reverted to my apprentice trainer, and had a couple of flights of slow circuits and bumps.

What a lovely day.

Nice sunny day, went up to the field at 2pm to find lots of people and no flying.

Reason.... 20mph wind gusting to about 30. Would have been nice if I had a big glider but I don't so didn't risk my AXN clouds fly, it's only 650g with the LiPo. So sat out in the sun for a few hours chatting. One person had a very "interesting" flight battling with the gusts. Then we all went home.

The same sunny weather without the blustery winds next week please!

After a rather easy Saturday afternoon's flying and needing a bit more of a challenge SWMBO and myself found ourselves at the club late on a beautiful Sunday afternoon with just a tad of x wind. The were 2 missions to complete.

Mission 1: Some weeks ago I maidened a Seagull Space Walker (electric). It wasn't a happy bunny and didn't fly well but survived the first flight. It was carrying a bit church roof in the nose because it required 3 servos fitted at the tail - I used HS 81s which were a little heavier than the usual 9g micros but I felt the control surfaces needed something stronger. This weight at the back was a mass that was affecting the yaw axis.

On the second take off just as I turned onto cross wind everything stopped and an 'early arrival' occurred! U/c ripped out and other structural front end damage. At first I had thought it was an signal failure but with hindsight it was almost certainly a voltage drop on the 4S lipo due to 5 servos operating at the same time in the climbing turn the motor was WOT!  Should've known better.

So yesterday the Space Walker had a only 4 servos and a UBEC!  I had binned the rear servos and put 2 std servos on or near the COG in the fuze. The elevator halves were joined together and dowel push rod operated. The rudder was now a cable pull/pull system.

So how did it go? Lovely - except for the first landing - see attached vid!  All ok tho' and the second lipo's worth was an amazingly fast 6 minutes!! Different aeroplane now!

Mission 2: Some of the forumites will remember the saga of my DB Sport and Scale 58" Tiger Moth which I converted to electric. I had been having real problems landing without nosing over either at touch down or at the end of the roll out. The cowl chin and myself got very well acquainted during repairs! We have only a hard strip which is extremely abrasive -I call it the Permagrit strip!

I reduced the height of the tail skid by 50% (more scale like now) and increased the up throw of the elevator significantly. I also released the bead elastic around the cross point of the u/c frame so each half could move more under pressure. Did it work? Have a look at this if you have 5 mins of your life to spare!

The evidence:

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 10/09/2012 20:17:44

Smug? - I'll say...........you look like the cat that got the cream! teeth 2

Great vid - a touch more vocal restraint from J - did you gag her???smile

Definitely sorted the nose-over but you'll need a supply of tailskids or use titaniumsmile o

By way of a change from the Salto flights last evening, I gave the E-Flite Cub 25 an airing this evening as it was so calm and warm - looked the part pootling around in the evening light:

Pete

Posted by Pete B on 10/09/2012 21:03:11:

Smug? - I'll say...........you look like the cat that got the cream! teeth 2

Great vid - a touch more vocal restraint from J - did you gag her???smile

Definitely sorted the nose-over but you'll need a supply of tailskids or use titaniumsmile o

By way of a change from the Salto flights last evening, I gave the E-Flite Cub 25 an airing this evening as it was so calm and warm - looked the part pootling around in the evening light:

Pete

That's scary !! Just e-mailed you about various things including telling you I have got the the E-Flite Cub out of it's box and asking you re servos!!

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 10/09/2012 21:07:29

Windy down here in the South blowing 15 knots but plan to get down the patch after lunch. Hmmm which plane should I take well:

Pawnee err no engine has been removed, P40 err no engine has be refitted but needs finishing. Cessna err no that needs repairs. P47 err no 80% built.

Oh well that leaves the fall back my trusty Pulse xt 25.

Mike