Fiery Dragon Rapide

Garbo

Advert

THATS AWFULL, at least the brave guys batting the fire out stopped it spreading, with a bit of luck, the structure is safe, but it will be a lot of work getting her airborne again,

I remember many years ago, a rare gypsy moth landing dead stick in a field, the tailskid struck something, there was a spark, and the entire thing went up, just as with a model,a doped structure is a firetrap, imagine the wellington bomber, so easy to set afire many had there covering burnt of in an attack, and simply fell out of the sky

tragic shame sad. I flew in her for my birthday - wonderful old girl and one of my lifes top experiences.

Sadly i understand it was always a chance occurance - caused by either fuel leaks or fuel system spitting back and setting the doped wings alight,

i did notice that with only 1 door there were escape hatches in the roof !!

Rich

Always sad to see a fine aircraft damaged. But, if the replies on youtube from "weeleybin" are correct, it seems the damage is fairly light.

I had a flight in G-AIDL, a similar Rapide, about 25 years ago - though strictly speaking that was, I believe, a Domine - the military variant. Even 25 years ago it was considered a vintage aircraft...

Sad to see any aircraft damaged especially a vintage one, but at least no one was hurt.

My first ever flight in an aircraft was in G-AFRK a Dragon Rapide giving pleasure flights at an airshow at Church Fenton in the late fifties, I think. Maybe if I had known it was covered in doped fabric I would have had second thoughts, but I doubt it.