New Poll - does winter affect your flying activities?

Advert

Sorry Guys, here in Dubai we look forward to Winter as max temp in the day is a nice 25°C but first thing in the mornings are rather brisk at about 10°C. We suffer in Summer with temps first thing in the morning of about 35°C and by the time we leave at 10:00 (been there since 05:30) it is up to the mid 40's !! However, it still doesn't stop us flying either way. So, my vote went to "No change".

Being a slope addict, it gets mighty cold on top of the Welsh mountains with a 30mph NE blowing. Earlier on this year I was on Fochriw flying into such a wind but after 2 hours I was chilled to the bone, and that was wearing thermals and a ski jacket. I think its the lack of movement, just standing around that does it. When I got home I had to have a bath to warm up again.

We had similar conditions on Saturday so I gave it a miss and I'll wait for the wind to swing to the west when I fly again.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 28/10/2012 22:17:47:

I've bought various types of glove to fly in, but I just don't get on with any of them.

I used to have this problem - but about two years ago I made a discovery - cycling gloves. These are padded in the palm and the tips of the fingers are missing - so they're a sort of "three-quarter finger" glove. I find that these work great, they leave my finger tips clear - so I can handle sticks and switches really well, but they keep your hands surprisingly warm. I think that because 90% of your hand is warm inside the glove the finger tips stay warm simply because they have warm blood from the rest of your hand flowing in them. If you haven't tried them I can recommend them.

BEB

The only restrictions on flying in winter is that evening flying is out so I have to rely on flyable weather at weekends. This can be very frustrating especially wnen (invariably) it it is nice during the week.

Lots of layers to keep warm, fingerless woolly gloves (from Primark) a stupid beanie hat to keep my brains warm and good wellies or boots depending on how muddy it is.

Just keep flying... and building of course

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 29/10/2012 14:56:02

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/10/2012 10:48:27:

I used to have this problem - but about two years ago I made a discovery - cycling gloves. These are padded in the palm and the tips of the fingers are missing - so they're a sort of "three-quarter finger" glove. I find that these work great, they leave my finger tips clear - so I can handle sticks and switches really well, but they keep your hands surprisingly warm. I think that because 90% of your hand is warm inside the glove the finger tips stay warm simply because they have warm blood from the rest of your hand flowing in them. If you haven't tried them I can recommend them.

BEB

right, next time Aldi do a cycle gear week I'll be on the lookout. I'm sure I have a set of anglers neoprene gloves somewhere, if only I could find them!

I've got heated grips on the bike, they supposedly work on the basis of warming your palms and hence the blood supply to your fingers but they don't seem to work for me. I end up with sweaty palms and frozen finger tips. Some you just can't winsad

I am going into my 78 th year, and still fly at least twice a week winter and summer. Rain is the only prob as I wear glasses. In winter I wear long johns as well as my usual clothes, and rely on knitted gloves with the thumbs removed. As I fly with thumbs only, my hands are warm at the end of the flight. Good thick warm boots are a must, with thermal socks. If I can do it anyone can Lol

Garry

If it's not raining or blowing a gale I am willing but as others have said, the days are short so no time after work and Murphy's law dictates that the weekend will be the worst days of the week for weather.

For those that feel the cold in their fingers ( like me ) there is a mitt available from Hobby King that covers the tranny and keeps your hands warm, there is also a little heating kit you can run from a small Li-Po that will add to the comfort.

Edited By Tony Richardson on 03/11/2012 18:20:22

I like building in the winter when the club flying field at Sheerness becomes somewhat waterlogged. A group of us went slope soaring in the winter time at Castle Hill Detling and off the cliffs at Bartons point Sheerness about three years ago. Hopefully this will happen again this winter providing we get some south westerly winds for Detling and northerlies (Guaranteed) for Bartons Point. I can then get out my ancient slope soarers and modern 'Wildthing' for a few flights.

MJE

I would love to fly in the winter but our field has terrible access crying

So although the weather could be ideal but if the access is water logged as it is now I still cant fly.

I have to resort to park flyers, until things dry out.

This year has been the worst as our access field was waterlogged from April until June sad

No change for me in my flying habits. I'll always be out as long as it's not throwing it down or too windy. Our strip can get a bit soggy this time of year and access while over very good farm tracks can get a bit flooded in places. I tend to wear my gortex motorbike clothing when it gets too nippy.

Last winter. Think it was down to about -6c.

Andy