RCM&E / Greenacres 2013 fly-in chat

Hi David - do we know if any traders will be there this year? if so and we knpow who then Jordan might be able to arrange to collect at Greenacres....

Given that it doesn't clash with WnW I might even get a pass out for both......but if I have to choose it is greenacres!

Olly

Advert

Jordan, as a Greenacres member I'd better also add that suitable insurance and a "BMFA A certificate or equivalent" are rules that are enforced on us by the landowners, the local council. Unless we strictly enforce this, we will not be allowed to use the venue, and they do come along and inspect us at every event.

So although it may seem a little officious to insist on these and to refuse people who cannot satisfy us they qualify, it's not something we have a choice about.

For travelling the distance you are, I'd agree with David that it would be worthwhile making sure you have what we need before you travel.

Ady yes, traders can come along for free.

All we ask is for them to donate something as a raffle prize. We leave what to their discression, as we'd rather encourage them than put them off. Most are very generous though.

Oh, and it's very very helpful if traders can let us know they are coming, that way we aren't caught on the hop with no space to site them.

• 1 month later...

Hi to all.

If all goes well, my flying chum and I are going to come along.

I have got a few questions, as being new to fly- ins. and was struggling to find out the format for the weekend.

Is there a post code for the the site - Greenacres

Can we arrive on the Friday night.

What facilities are there at the site.

Do we need a permit to fly-use the site

what are the flying times.

Are Jets welcome.

Is there any restrictions on petrol engine size.

Are models noise tested before flight.

Is there any other restrictions we need to know about..

Apologies for asking, to some they may seem daft but having looked at the club web site I ended

up with more question than I started with.

Don't want to turn up and upset someone's weekend or to find after a four hour drive I have brought along a plane I can't fly.

Bert

Hi Bert

Many of the answers can be found on the Greenacres website, start here for fly ins.

The post code is on the website locations page, and is WS9 0QQ

Yes you can arrive on Friday night.
There is plenty of space for camping. There are toilets on site with cold running water. There's no electricity. A mobile caterer attends doing the usual burgers, hot dogs bacon baps, chips and hot and cold drinks etc, along with a pretty good full breakfast.

Yes jets are fine, just remember it's a grass strip. Nothing is noise tested, but if something were noisy enough to raise eyebrows then the marshals may not allow it to fly.

The events page on the website starts:-
There are three GMAC Fly for Fun events organised again for 2013. All are open to visitors (No Walsall Flying Permits required). However current B.M.F.A. insurance proof is mandatory with a minimum of BMFA "A" certificate, this is a requirement of our landlords for anyone to fly at the field. No reasonably sized model aircraft will be refused on the day unless considered to be problematic. Pilots will sign to say that all planes have been flown previously and to guarantee all flying models physical and electronic integrity.

The idea is to have an informal get together of pilots. Both GMAC members and pilots from anywhere else.

It is not a show, and anyone can fly. Please see the Galleries section for photos of previous events.

Entrance is free, Greenacres members fly for free, but we charge visiting pilots a nominal fee of £5 for a days flying.

A mobile caterer is booked (Hot and cold drinks, burgers, hot dogs etc) and also trade stands to attend.

Oops sorry missed that question.

Flying starts at 10:00 on Saturday and Sunday if people gather in time for the pilots briefing at 09:45. (Always a bit like herding cats!)

The official marshalled fly in goes on 'till around 17:00 on the Saturday. Some campers fly quiet models in the evening, off the peg.

On Sunday the flying comes to an end around 16:00 or 16:30 so that the raffle and informal presentations can be made. No further flying is allowed on the Sunday, to allow the Greenacres guys who have been there working hard for days, the chance to take everything down and get home for a well deserved rest.

Good evening all

for those of you of a WW1 persuasion you might be interested to know that a bunch (if thats the right collective noun!!) of the Dawn Patrol are making the trip to greenacres should be a goodly group! see you there.

chris poyser. DP founder memberyes

Hi

will have to check the other dates, but ifim free Greenacresn is allways a good weekend especially as i only live 30 miles away, the DH2 is currently undergoing a major overhaul and refit, complete with a new colour scheme, after it sufferd some extensive damage following a dead stick whilst at an event in Germany last august, my deadline is for mid May for the vintage weekend at Stow Maries Aerodrome, but i still have a small mountain of work to do, i have taken pics of the work as it progresses dunno if its of any interest on forum at all. but it is progressing,

chris