Subscription 'gifts' on renewal?

Bob Cotsford

• 2 months later...
Advert

• 5 months later...

alas after paying my dosh in November---and a phone call/query...there is still No sign of the promised 'free gift'...quad copter......... I suppose that there are others in the same boat as me.........shame as I/we kept our side of the bargain.......by paying to subscribe....etc..

ken Anderson ne...1.......2013...... disappointed dept...

I came away with sadly an all to familiar tale last year BUT with an odd end result .

My wife who works for a large retail organisation here in the UK , bought me a subscription that included a rotocraft tool set. After 3 mounts of missing out on my favourite read and numerous phone calls chanting legal blurb endorsed by the appropriate department of said retail giant we canceled and got a refund , two weeks later I received 3 of the same magazine and 2 rotorcraft tool kits all within a week!!

All l wanted was the magazine delivered to my door , But mainly access to the subscriber area . I got neither and came away tool rich but info poor.

Sorry but it's not good enough .

Justin, I do think your tale, and to some extent my own story, should be a concern. You may put some efforts into gaining new customers, yet it counts for nothing, if you do not retain them.

In my case, I will subscribe again, if I am correct, yet in many respects, it must make a nonsense of the budget allocated for the purpose of gaining new customers, if you just loose your existing customers by lack of minimal action.

I cancelled my subscription, for reasons that are not important (except to me), and very quickly got a call offering me several inducements to re-subscribe - so I did. I've also found that if a free gift is particularly attractive, all one has to do is ring in and they will renew your sub at its normal future renewal date, but send you the free gift now.

I'm still waiting for 'Subscriptions' to get back to me. I bought a years sub for my brother as a Xmas gift. He received the January issue but no gift, when I complained, I received a email saying that they'd lost the records of my brothers subscription could I provide proof that I had paid. The payment was taken on 29th November, I provided proof from my bank that they had received the money sending it by 'Recorded Delivery'. At no time have I had any communication back from the Subscription Dept, they have my email address. I will think twice about giving a sub as a gift in future.

I had though I was mellowing with increasing old age but this is my first post and I'm grumbling already. I've been interested to read of the difficulty of getting repeat free gifts. My problem is slightly different in that my partner, very kindly and thoughtfully, took out a sub for me on my birthday. Isn't love wonderful? However, she didn't receive a free gift, reduced subscription, nowt, zilch!! I did feel she was a little hard done by but since reading some of the previous posts I'm beginning to think that I should phone the subs dept and demand my "rights".

Andy

one of the annoying things is you pay your money on the assumption that you have kept your side of the bargain.......and when you phone up asking what has happened you are told that yes-the 'gift' is going to get to you....................and then nothing and you have to resort to posting on here...enquiring.......if you reading this 'LUCY' who answered my wife's enquiry ....could you please put us out of misery....and let us know how we stand(me and other subscriber's?) .......and thanks David Ashby for picking up on my earlier post enquiry..

ken Anderson ne...1 in the dark dept..

Edited By ken anderson. on 06/01/2014 19:41:38

I have had a rolling D.Debit Subsciption for a number of years now and totally agree, they want you to subscribe but, when they have got you they, sort of, forget you.

Would be nice if, after Three, continual years, of Subscribing, you were automatically listed to get a freebie as a thank you for your regular support.

I know it is just a 'Pipe Dream' but one can live in hope.

Ron

bump, bump.

Ok, just had a late reply Ken. According to their records, they seem to think the item was sent, if it was then clearly it never arrived so I've told them to send another. I think you need to give it a couple more weeks as they say they're awaiting more stock but I know you'll be bumping away here in the meantime.

Folks, let off steam here of course but remember that this thread isn't a communication channel to subscriptions dept. Best course is to give them a call - note the name of the person, date and time.

AP001 - suggest your partner picks up the phone, subscriptions won't see your post here. In the meantime I'll make enquiries for you but you'll find it quicker picking up the phone yourself.

Ron - as I'm sure you know, renewing subscribers are offered a discount.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 07/01/2014 19:30:47

Hello David,

Thank you for your kind offer. I sympathise with my partner who was not at all happy to find that she was not offered the best signup deal available. She is not interested in taking this up, being so annoyed. My birthday was in August. No idea now which freebees were on offer at around that time, but anything you can do would be very much appreciated.

Andy