Subscription 'gifts' on renewal?

Bob Cotsford

Advert

It's typical nowadays that firms treat their loyal customers worse than newcomers! Insurance companies seem the worst.

Really the situation here is that you get a very worthwhile free gift but it's spread over many years of subscription

I can only suggest that next time you let your subscription lapse for a while and just read it in the newsagents! Of course if there is a good free plan by Peter Miller then you have to buy a copy.......

Posted by rActive on 15/11/2012 12:49:14:

Shh, don't tell anyone, but it's worth a call to the subsrciptions department when your renewal comes around. I've had a few free gifts over my 6-7 years unbroken subscription

secret

Well I would suspect after an admission of that on the forum, you probably won't be getting any more thinking

Sorry to disagree, but I've just re-newed my subscription and got the free gift. I did wait quite a while after getting a re-newal notice so perhaps my subscription did, in fact, lapse and my re-newal was treated as a new subscription. But no gap in the mag - straight from October to November.

Ian

(PS the fact that I got a crappy tool kit when I would really have preferred a rotary cutting tool or Prolux iron is neither here nor there)

Forgot about renewing mine last year, a lady rang up offering me a free tranny case if I renewed. They tried twice to send it, got lost/stolen, once tranny case ordered with wrong code so no chance of getting that. They made such a hard job of it it took 3 months to finally arrive after they sent it recorded, that free case must have cost a fortune. The guy on the other end was so ashamed he added two months onto my subscription. I shall be renewing and I don't expect a free gift its still one of the best subscritions I've had.

Lee

Posted by Essjay on 15/11/2012 13:06:38:
Posted by rActive on 15/11/2012 12:49:14:

Shh, don't tell anyone, but it's worth a call to the subsrciptions department when your renewal comes around. I've had a few free gifts over my 6-7 years unbroken subscription

secret

Well I would suspect after an admission of that on the forum, you probably won't be getting any more thinking

Shh, I said don't tell anyone

If you see a free gift that grabs you, all you have to do is ring the subscriptions number and they will send you the gift as soon as it becomes available (it often takes a few weeks to arrive), in exchange for rolling-over the subscription at next renewal. I've done it five or six times, and it avoids getting a free gift that you don't want when the sub is renewed normally.

I have done exactly the same thing. I was quite surprised to get the freebies, even though the last one I got (powerpanel) wasn't quite what was advertised (missing the fuel pump) I was happy with it..

In fact its a good incentive not to renew by Direct Debit. The gifts are easily worth the c. £4.00 difference in price and with a bit of tactical buying you can be selective with what you choose.

Martyn

I have to say, I have never had a free gift for re-subscription.

You would have thought it would be nice to reward loyalty, but alas it counts for nothing. As stated before, insurance comapnies are bad, but the worst by far are Telephone companies (especially mobilephone companies). Commision based selling is the reason for it there, but I imagine with hobby items and disposable income, they just assume that once you subscribe you're never going to leave. (and the sad trueth of it is, that 99% of people who subscribe toe RCM&E know it is the best RC mag about, and wouldn't let the subscription lapse).

Be happy! We over on the mainland of Europe pay a significant amount extra for postage (even tho' printed matter gets a very low special rate) and do not get any chance of a 'free gift' on renewal even if we supply a UK address for the'gift'. Does that stop me buying the mag - nope! Rather have the mag than not at all and definitely don't want digital issues!

Terry

There is a bit of a downside to this free gift mullarkey - I subscribed a bit over a year ago and received (eventually) a nice new covering iron. Very pleased and it's in regular use.

When the subscription ran out, I decided to wait until another attractive offer came along - but so far nothing has caught my eye. Great offer at the moment - but I don't need another one!!!

I had thought about dropping a Christmas hint...

The real downside is that I've kept putting off buying the mag. in case the right offer comes along...and have missed the last 3 issues!

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/11/2012 14:27:48

• 5 months later...