Attaching Servos - tape?

Phil May

Advert

Hi Phil, I wouldn't take the slightest chance with any adhesive. I reckon the servos are just too important a part of the avionics, to take any chance. It might work 99 times out of 100, but what about that one hundredth flight (also, it doesn't do the servo case any good)

ernie

I have used double sided tape from DIY stores sold for sticking up mirrors etc, I think it is a 3M product. It has a tab at the end of each piece and you can remove it fairly easily by pulling on the tab. It works well on plastic and on sealed balse although I have only used it in small models < 1M

Servo tape was at one time a very common way of doing an installation. But of course screws are much more common now - there is a good reason for that!

Double-sided tape is great for fixing Rx's in place etc., but personally I wouldn't rely on it for a servo. If you are going to try it "No More Nails" make reels of it - sticks well under the right conditions and can be bought at B&Q. "The right conditions" means alsolutely clean, flat surface, no hint of grease or dust. Stick in place and leave 24 hours before trusting under load.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/12/2012 18:05:36

Oh, BEB, no, no, no, not "No-Nails"

I used it for skirting boards in the Kitchen, some fell off.

I just happened to mention it to my eldest daughter, in passing, whilst discussing, completing the build. Is that the stuff, that you squirt on, was a question. Mhh, yes. You now the same thing happened at the "what ever", they all had to be refitted. Using what, I asked, do not know, but they seemed to do the things you do, you know, drilling holes and things.

Although I do trust Silicon, certainly not that type of stuff. I also suspect it can be heavy.

Thanks guys.
It is for a sloper, the wings are to thin to screw the servos in so they have to lay flat on the mentioned plastic servo mounts.
I've glued in the past but if a servo has failed they are swines to remove.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/12/2012 23:42:16

G'day Phil, came in late here. I have used double sided tape for servos in Glider / thermal and slope up to 2 metre spans with no problems and then refit / renew for a new season or sooner if need be (bad landing). doing this since the eighties i reckon adhesives might have improved since then too.

but it is a good way of keeping the servos in place for gliders.

bbc.

Edited By bouncebouncecrunch on 30/12/2012 06:46:47

Romeo

Snap, I have used hot glue on foam wings mainly EPO, although one Polystyrene (where they still remain). I found that it does hold well, essentially by adhering well to the foam (being rough/grain like/bobbly texture). On the case, I just overlapp slightly onto the top surface. Initially i did this, because that is what happened.

On the removal of one servo for replacement, I did find that the bond is best described as flat surface to flat surface, that you get on surface plate, or slip gauge to similar surface, or where a water film acts as an apparent glue, or more technically, low inter atomic Vandrvell forces.

In short, a thin blade inserted between the case and glue, it suddenly parts. I found this by noting, that the edges were showing signs of separating. Just a slightly differing shade.

Why do I dwell on this? Only because, it works well on foam, If that mechanical lock is not there, and one surface is prone to movement, I would not have long term confidence.

I use double sided foam on my foamies but usually smear UHU POR over both the servo and the location which then makes the doable sided foam really stick.

Other times I have used hot melt - especially on EPP and have released the servos using a temperature controlled hot air gun on low setting to soften the glue and the servo comes out but the temperature and direction has to be regulated.

I've found this gun invaluable in re-tightening covering and providing very localised heat.

I have used the 'No Nails' tape on a glider and small Cub very successfully. The trick is to make sure you are sticking two non porous surfaces, so as others have suggested, I first wrap insulating tape around the servo and then prepare a ply plate by coating one side in epoxy and letting it set and then gluing the other side to the fuselage side. The tape is then stuck to the epoxy side which now being non porous makes a good bond, and the servo pressed home against the tape.

Seems to hold rock solid - both models have lasted two seasons like this and he servos are still firm.

Woud not use it for larger models though - I would still want the assurance of servos that have been screwed to bearers.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 30/12/2012 19:18:15