The Saito thread!

Concorde Speedbird

Posted by Percy Verance on 10/08/2013 15:07:09:

Now that's what I call a model with character.....

I've had my eye on the Balsa USA Ercoupe kit for some time. Only two things have held me back, the size (1/3rd scale) and the price (about £600)........

Steve

I've been using JXF props for quite a while. Absolute bargain they are. Best not tell everyone though......... oops, I just did.

I'm sure plans are available. Build one. £600 is twice what I paid for my astonishingly reliable little car! And as for all the 4 strokes that people own, Good Grief, you either live alone or have very easy-going wives!

Lucky you!

Martin

Advert

Easy going wife, Percy? One who doesn't object to Saito money being spent I would think.

Anything that price I buy has to earn its keep, such as tools, Austin 7 bits (to be sold for an obscene profit when built and put in the pension pot). Especially with the pension age going up each year, it seems. It's like when I was a lad insuring a car. The "safe" age kept going up each year till it seemed it was years before I finally reached it!

Martin

Yeah, did check Hobbyplastic and both bits were out of stock. Saitos are good engines, but if you want bits, might as well forget it. Shame to scrap the 80, because of a simple part like a needle valve.

Will keep an eye out at the Nats swopmeet - you never know what you might come across. As for Saitos, might not get anymore, unless there is a UK distributor. Might as well forget Macgregor - getting anything off them is a waste of time - they don't need our custom...secret

Paul I ended up getting rid of my saito engines for the sane reasons. But now I have gone back to saito buying two of the new petrol engines the FG-21 and FG-36. I have not run the 36 yet and the jury is still out on the 21 as im still having a few problems with it.

the 82 seems to be especially hard to get parts for but between hobby plastics and buying from the US you can get what you need for most engines. I have found buying direct from the us trouble free

Posted by Foxfan on 10/08/2013 20:53:21:
Posted by Percy Verance on 10/08/2013 15:07:09:

And as for all the 4 strokes that people own, Good Grief, you either live alone or have very easy-going wives!

Lucky you!

Martin

Don't live alone, wife HATES modelling, most of my 4 strokes were bought new at greatly reduced prices when the £ was doing well, except the 3 x 82s I bought when I sold a couple of old diesels and some other engines at the nats in 2005 and made enough to buy 3 new 82as which I have subsequently converted to b spec (one has yet to be run btw)

I'll be watching a club mates progress with some interest having read this thread.

On Saturday the crank pin sheared on his Saito 150 resulting in a hole being punched in his crankcase by the con rod - a minimum of £120 for parts plus bearings. But guess what? Not one of those parts is listed as being in stock by McGregors...

Let's hope that McGregor feel that the right thing to do with a lightly used premium engine that's failed in this manner would be to replace it.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 11/08/2013 14:41:18:

Yeah, did check Hobbyplastic and both bits were out of stock. Saitos are good engines, but if you want bits, might as well forget it. Shame to scrap the 80, because of a simple part like a needle valve.

Will keep an eye out at the Nats swopmeet - you never know what you might come across. As for Saitos, might not get anymore, unless there is a UK distributor. Might as well forget Macgregor - getting anything off them is a waste of time - they don't need our custom...secret

Paul I would recomend Phils Hobby Shop in Fort Wayne USA quick and reliable and fair postal charges to boot.

• 2 months later...

Quick question about my on going battle to put my Saito 72 on the Hanger 9 Cub40.--It looks as if I will try the flex extension bolted directly to the head without a muffler. OK, two questions,---how loud will it be and will the motor run ok without a pressure tap from this pipe to the fuel tank? If it needs pressure to the tank I could drill and tap a fitting.

Hello Robert,

I have a Saito 65 in my Topflyte SE5a, and I have done just that.

I used one of the Saito elbow fittings, followed by a home made adaptor. The flex tube I used is about 12mm i.d. from memory. It is about 100 to 150mm long.

I have flown it like that, open at the outlet end, but not a lot. It was slightly noisier than the standard exhaust.

I then made an outlet piece to reduce the diameter to that of the original silencer, this quietened it a bit more. It runs OK without silencer pressure.

I still have a bit of a cooling issue in my installation. I need to duct the incoming air to blow over the cylinder fins. Note to self:; sort out SE5a and fly it!

Charles

• 8 years later...

I am a Saito engine fanatic and have been since the 1990s.  Up until that time it was all two strokes.  When I got my first Saito it all changed.   I am still flying after 36 years.   Up to date I have Saito 40 in a Jumper 25.  A Saito 62 in a Seagull Spacewalker.   A Saito 62 in a Kyosho Seaplane.   A Saito 62 in a Seagull Boomerang.   A Saito 72 in a Super Frontier Senior.   A Saito 62 in a Great Planes Cherokee.   I also have a Saito 72 brand new in its box.   I just love Saito engines.   

20220910_170817.jpg

I had 2 Saito 100 engines and they were both excellent.  I have sold one as I didn't have a model to put it into.  The original one is in a Carl Goldberg Decathlon which is 7 ft span.  The Saito powers it well.  While overpowered compared with the full size (aren't all scale models over powered in comparison with full size?) the Saito 100 gives it a scale like speed throttled back while full throttle will manage a loop from level flight - which is not scale.

I note that no one has commented on the Saito 180.  I had one thinking it was powerful and would be like my smaller Saito.  How wrong can you be?  The vibration was out of this world despite a carefully balanced prop.  It was in a Weston Capiche 140 and it just couldn't give the Capiche a decent vertical performance..  I tried a Saito 150 just to see what the vibration was like.  Not as bad but far worse than an OS 155.  So, I've given up on the big Saitos but I'm happy with my 100.

Ohh a Saito thread,,,

I am hard at work building my Seagull Seafire, I was going to put my Enya 120 4c in it but after flying it yesterday I decided to go for a Saito 100, there are a couple up for grabs here in France, but the owners don't know if they are the "A" or "B" versions, how can they tell and is there a real difference ?.

thanks Paul

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Ohh a Saito thread,,,

I am hard at work building my Seagull Seafire, I was going to put my Enya 120 4c in it but after flying it yesterday I decided to go for a Saito 100, there are a couple up for grabs here in France, but the owners don't know if they are the "A" or "B" versions, how can they tell and is there a real difference ?.

thanks Paul

The differences between the A and B are not uniform throughout the range Paul, so each size of motor has its own improvement, but the B carries the refinements,

Some are obvious changes with smoother, lower tappet covers, and extra ribbing around thinner casting areas.

More obvious on the smaller motors as the 62A and the 62B ribs.

Not so obvious are thicker castings and more modern internal metallurgy, and thicker castings.

38 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Ok thanks, so no real performance diffences ?,  have you any pictures of them so that I can sort out what the two sellers have ?.

I don't believe there are A and B versions of the Saito 100. There is for the 82 model and several others too  Mostly it was a change in the cam housing design. But the Saito 100 was recent enough to have had the "new design" housing from the start.

Yes, but the Saito 100 has not been updated so there is only one version.There is no a or b model of the Saito 100. Other older models were updated multiple times over the years. The saito 45 for example changed lots of times including crankcase, timing, webbing, carbureter, head design etc. The main difference between a and b models is the camshaft housing, This is well illustarated by the saito 82 . See pics 

saito 82 a.jpg

saito 82 b.jpg