Dx8

Alan Cardwell 1

I have the DX6i, DX8 and the DX18. Also have a Spektrum Module in a JR PCM9XII TX, which was converted from 35.

Regarding the Aurora - the reason why I never bought it in the first place was the naff aerial link. Have a Eclipse 7 on 2.4 and been a good system. However the Aurora put me off, due to potential weak link - which I already faced on my Spektrum JR Module, where the wire broke off and luckely noticed it before switching on - otherwise I would've burnt out the regulator section on the module.

Since then, Al's were selling conversion kits, which re-routed the wire inside the complete module/aerial unit and been fine since.

I will buy the new Aurora - if they modify it.

Advert

The on/off switch is supposed to be a bit of a problem on the Aurora 9 due to its proximity to the trim switches. Also is the screen backlit? The DX8 blue backlight looks like it gives good visibility. For me, the access to inexpensive receivers is a big consideration.

On the DX8 I don't think its such a good idea for a lipo battery to be put in a tx. Too volatile. Ability to use a LiFe battery would give more peace of mind. The stock charger/psu setup on the DX8 is a joke with NiMh with problems overheating and charging very slowly at a low rate. On my DX6i I charge at 0.6A (2000mAh Eneloops) and have it internally bypassed a diode to allow delta V peak detection on the output jack - charges in 30 mins normally.

Edited By DG3 on 25/01/2013 20:43:19

Posted by DG3 on 25/01/2013 20:38:43:

. On my DX6i I charge at 0.6A (2000mAh Eneloops) and have it internally bypassed a diode to allow delta V peak detection on the output jack - charges in 30 mins normally.

So you are just putting back 300mah or less than 1/6th of the batteries capacity, why bother charging it up so frequently, I usually only charge my Dx6i when it drops to 5v.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 25/01/2013 21:38:35:
Posted by DG3 on 25/01/2013 20:38:43:

. On my DX6i I charge at 0.6A (2000mAh Eneloops) and have it internally bypassed a diode to allow delta V peak detection on the output jack - charges in 30 mins normally.

So you are just putting back 300mah or less than 1/6th of the batteries capacity, why bother charging it up so frequently, I usually only charge my Dx6i when it drops to 5v.

Just part of my preflight preparation. I fly once a week and on any weekend I never know how many flights I'll get in. No reason not to charge up.

• 10 months later...

i am very suspicious of spextrum, mine is crap allsorts of issues from day one, dx8 short for disaster crash eight times until you learn your lesson how substandard it is, i had better gear in the 1970`s I never had any glitches or problems with Jr gear. if you dont believe me see ali machinchy fight with his dx 18 when he loses control of his hawker hunter jet on you tube!!!!!! Even happens to him!

Hi Trevor,

Welcome to the forum! A punchy first post toosmile

Yours is a far different experience from mine and I'm sure, many other DX8 users, I have to say. Mine is a good, reliable workhorse which hasn't let me down in the past couple of years and I have every confidence in it.

It's very bad luck if you've had a Friday afternoon model, though, which can happen, I suppose......sad

Have you ever returned it to HH for a check-over?

Sounds as if, whatever they would say, that your confidence in the DX8 has gone - perhaps it's time to look for an alternative?

Pete

First of all, I haven't got a DX8 myself but quite a few flyers in our club do have them and seem happy with their radios. One guy has a DX18. I've been flying with Spektrum gear since going to 2.4 with a DX7 three years ago and recently with a DX6i, which is DSMX. I have a collection of Spektrum receivers in my planes including AR500's. Previously, I used Futaba (6EX) on 35, but was put off their 2.4 range because of the high cost of receivers, and them marketing two incompatible systems. I'm sure Futaba gear is perfectly good but It would cost too much for me to change from Spektrum now. I've had my share of crashes mostly pilot error caused by disorientation, flying past the sun or the ground getting in the way. Nothing that I can attribute definitely to loss of signal. I would say that I fly planes with the older DSM2 receivers (AR500, AR7000, AR6110E) on the DX7 rather than making the DX6i work in DSM2 compatibility mode. My newer DSMX receivers (AR600, AR610, AR6115E) are just flown with the '6i to make use of a better system and avoid some of the reported problems with a mix of DSM2 and DSMX. It just means that I have to think which (or both) Tx's to take to the field. When I replace the DX7 it will be with a DX8 or DX9.

I'll soon be selling my DX8. The reason why, it's only got 50 model memories and going to upgrade to the DX9 and sell the 8.

Been great radio, it was sent back for upgrade to Horizon when I first bought it. Don't like the aerial, prefer the DX9/DX18 fixed version, as I've already broke one off, and had to fix it. Apart from that, fine.

Already got a DX6i and a DX18QQ

Edited By Paul Marsh on 10/12/2013 11:50:26

Given that some folk always blame their radio rather than their piloting it is interesting to note that the pilot is clearly feeding in full down elevator whilst the aircraft is inverted.

Whilst there are always room for interpretation in such matters at 1:50 there's a zoomed in shot of him holding the Tx up. Maybe he forgot which way around the model was because it seemed to follow the path that was being directed by the Tx.

It has been said many times and although it is easy to blame a radio that can't be interrogated afterwards owners are more than happy to state they have no issues with Spektrum gear. That's good enough for me. Maybe in the future there would be black box abilities that record the inputs. That would solve a lot of arguments over radio v pilot issues. smiley

Having just returned to RC since the 70s I set myself up with a DX7s and a Ar6100 and an AR 7000. I have made a mad Cutlass and a Bixler - all lecky powered which is all new to me too.

Yesterday I launched the Bixler which was well under control but then decided to wander off downwind whereupon I didn't seem to have much control. The motor was revving up and down with the controls being rather inefective. I thought that this was a signal problem but tried to get the thing at least pointed back to me with no avail. I reckoned that it was signal fade and as the machine was in a clear area I decided to let it return to earth under the fail safe programme by turning off the Tx. Return to Earth it did - vertically!

Upon inspection the damage was just to the nose area which I have straightened out but will have to make a new foam cockpit. I also found the elevator servo out of its mounting and interfering with the adjacent rudder servo. The factory fitted Elevator servo had felt well mounted on a few checks before this but I was horrified by only one tiny dab of sticky glue. I should have rattled it more during preflight checks. It is now remounted with lots of hot glue.

What happened? well I had checked the model over as one should before flight. I reckon that during the control attempts I was probably holding the Tx closer to my chest - it's a natural reaction. I noticed afterwards that I am an idiot and had not raised the Tx antenna. So, this would have been pointed at the model during my attempts thus placing the signal in its lowest power position. DUH! The servo may or may not have come loose in flight during the gyrations, but I'm firmly putting this down to pilot error - mine, not the Spektrum kit. I used to model in the 70s with Remcon 27MHz proportional kit so had a huge whip antenna to bang out a good signal and would not be pointed at the model.

I promise to be better with my preflight checks next time!

• 3 months later...

I have a problem with the inbuilt battery charger. I don't like the idea of charging a LiPo in situ, and have read one or two negative comments about the balancing unit built into the battery pack. Using the inbuilt charger for the supplied NiMh battery means that it is difficult to know the state of the charge, and there is a risk of overcharging. Removing the battery to charge it on a 'proper' charger is not really an an option, the connector seems a bit flimsy for repeated removal and replacement, so I've adopted the solution below. The photos are self explanatory, the charging connector comes from a defunct switch harness and mates up with an output lead I already made for flight pack charging. All that is needed is to remember to work on one battery lead at a time, and to cut away a part of the foam rubber packing around the battery to alllow the lead to be tucked into the battery box. Now all I need is some decent weather to go flying. Tomorrow may be the day!

dsc_0005[1].jpg

dsc_0008[1].jpg

Phil

I converted from supplied NiMH to a genuine 4Ahr Lipo replacement because I was getting inconsistent results from the in-built charger.

Since converting, I have consistent charging (charging actually shuts off when full) and long flying times between charges. I have no issue with in-situ charging - just think of all the phones, notepads, laptops.............etc Lipo's are everywhere now

Edited By Masher on 13/03/2014 11:38:22

Yes, take your point Masher, though I understood that phones, notepads etc. are mainly fitted with Li Ion, not Li Poly batteries. this way I can be sure that when I go out my battery is fully charged, as you say the inbuilt charger leaves too much uncertainty. Now I can recharge to full capacity after each session, and I haven't had to cough up another lump of cash for a battery I don't really need. 2000 mAh is adequate for my needs. Each to his own, lots of people are happy with the LiPo option, I'm happy with mine. smiley