Dx8

Alan Cardwell 1

Advert

I've used my dx8 extensively since I got it about 18 months ago. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. That's just my experience. I think the initial teething problems they had with the dx8 dented it's reputation but they sorted them out and now it's just a cracking radio for a low price (thanks to the tarnished reputation). I wouldn't hesitate...

One of the guys at our club had issues with his Dx8 (one of the early DSM2 only ones) when it was upgraded to DSMx spec via a firmware upgrade, he had some lockouts with DSM2 Rx's. Sent it back to HH and they updated it and sent it back, he uses it every week now with DSMx and DSM2 Rx's with everything from foamys to a 1/4 scale.

Only problem I have has with mine is with the battery charger system. Basically with the NIMH battery charger does not cut off when the battery is fully charged and the charge rate is so high heat is built up in the battery which resulted in the battery overheating (Mine melted the heat shrink sleaving and foam insert inside the back of the DX8. Doing a search on the internet found that this is a common problem and you need to keep an eye on the battery temperature when charging and never leave on charge for more than 12 hours.

To overcome this you can replace the 2000mAh NIMH with a 4000mAh 2S Lipo which works brilliantly. The charger in the DX8 monitors the battery when charging and switches off the charger when the battery is full. Because it is a LiPo it does not loose charge, as such all it needs is a charge up once a month (or so) - and thats flying Sat and Sun most weekends. The specific Lipo you require contains circuitry which protects the Lipo from overcharge and cuts the voltage off if it falls to a very low voltage (the DX8 will warn you much earlier that you have a low battery, so no fear of it just switching off when you are flying). Have just had a look on Ebay and someone is selling a new one for £15 plus £2.70 postage. Well worth the investment.

**LINK**

A new DX8 should have the latest software installed - check online when you register the warrenty and you can do a software update using a normal SD card - it's all on the website.

I'd do any update before setting up any models as the recent updates have caused problems with some settings on models programmed with older software.

Other than that I think the DX8 is a great step up from the DX6i (I've one of those as well).

A few of the cheaper LiPo's have caused problems but this forum has details of how to solve these issues.

Skippy

Posted by simon burch on 17/01/2013 12:46:11:

Had no luck with mine, so it got sold. Still a number of flyers at the club having reoccuring problems with pots and centering. Would never own another Spektrum product personally.

Simon

Sold all my 35mhz gear about 2 years ago and changed to Spektrum DX6i,AR500& AR600 rx's. Now have about 10 flying models in regular use with this gear. Electric and IC. No problems at all.

I had one crash,(pilot error) which damaged the case of the Rx, Sent to HH service for repair and testing 2 days later a brand new Rx arrived although the crashed one tested OK they sent a new one for my peace of mind.

I can't praise the system enough.

Well I started off with a DX6I then after a year or so moved on to the DX7. With the DX7 I could not use any other rx other than the Ar7000/7010. Tried mine with a AR500 and kept getting loss of control. But same model & equipment with a AR7000 had not problems. In the end of course it was the DX7.

Now moved on to a DX8 and have four aircraft flying from 40" to 80" and so far had no issues. Brought my DX8 with the AR8000 in Oct 12 and updated to the latest software version before setting up.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 17/01/2013 15:26:06

I bought mine nearly two years years ago, and had issues with the firmware, gimbles and NimH cells.

I had everything fixed by Horizon, and switched to a 2S li-po, and all is well.

As an aside, despite the problems listed above, I have NEVER had any issues with glitches, brown-outs, range or any other issues in flight. In that respect it's been 100% reliable, and I'm happy to use it as my sole transmitter these dyas.

tim

Posted by MikeS on 17/01/2013 15:25:50:

Well I started off with a DX6I then after a year or so moved on to the DX7. With the DX7 I could not use any other rx other than the Ar7000/7010. Tried mine with a AR500 and kept getting loss of control. But same model & equipment with a AR7000 had not problems. In the end of course it was the DX7.

Now moved on to a DX8 and have four aircraft flying from 40" to 80" and so far had no issues. Brought my DX8 with the AR8000 in Oct 12 and updated to the latest software version before setting up.

Mike

Strange how some of us have no problems and others do. There are obviously gremlins about.laugh

Posted by Glyn R on 18/01/2013 14:46:02:
Posted by MikeS on 17/01/2013 15:25:50:

Mike

Strange how some of us have no problems and others do. There are obviously gremlins about.laugh

I sort of got the feeling a while ago that it became the done thing to blame the radio without looking at the true possible causes. I saw a guy spin in a Foam WOT4 and immediately blame fhis radio (Dx8). Some people are not good at / interested in causation. I recently witnessed someone who was ready to take 2 aircraft apart because the receiver setups were not working (on 35 meg) when it was actually a crystal fault on the transmiter module.

With Spektrum you do have to set them correctly. As mentioned most crashes are down to how the user has set up the radio and rx. With my Rx's I reg the power to 5.9v. Never had an issue apart from when using the Ar500 with the DX7. Mike

Edited By MikeS on 19/01/2013 11:27:28

Iv,e had mine about 2 years and i did have to return it to horizon after i updated the software to DSMX . there were some issues with backwards compatability to early DSM2 recievers. Horizon updated the firmware and also changed the gimbals and arranged the courier . no problems since.

I also own a DX6i and a futaba T8J but the DX8 is the best in my opinion.

les

Edited By Les Littleton on 25/01/2013 05:35:26

I suspect Spektrum will stay with the DX8 for a while, DG3. It's only two years old, after all. They've since introduced the DX10T and the DX18 for those who want much more capability and there are probably further enhancements for the DX8 in the pipeline, available as software updates, as they have already done.

We'll have to wait and see how much effort they put into the DX8.

Pete

It could be that that is the case with the Aurora 9 - the price has been cut dramatically this week and there's talk of an update being revealed at Nurenburg - and I bet the aerial link will be re-routed internally this time!

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 25/01/2013 15:48:24