How do you react when you break a model?

Advert

Crashes are just part of modelling as far as I can see, That is why I partly prefer smaller models.

I have noted that many modellers who never crash models, have very poor memories.

By crashes,I mean anything which requires a repair. That covers everything from a poor landing, to a model going in from a great height.

As for reasons, poor landings are mostly a lack of judgement, going in from height, are mostly unexplained. Although I have had Nicad failure, burnt out motor as issues, not always resulting in a arrival, although close. Recently I did a Douglas Bader, a loop at low level, where the ground just got in the way.

I still mourn the loss of two free flight planes in one day in 1962 at Epsom Downs, an own design plus a 1946 Southern Dragon as described before. Since then I have been able to repair all my planes that have been damaged. My last major crash was with my 1970's 'Easy Rider' which took off in a cross wind, gained little height and zoomed off at full pace such that I 'lost it' and it piled in breaking the wings in half and damaging the fuselage but not the engine. Everyone present from the club thought it was written off but not so, I did repair it but suffered embarrassment and loss of confidence as a result.

The repaired plane

Micro Mold Easy Rider 1970s Plane with Enya 45

My biggest problem since the advent of solarfilm etc as opposed to tissue and dope is to try and make the repaired "constructionally" framework (easier if you built it yourself from a kit or plan or home design of course) look like new.with the "re-covering ".It's easy covering small holes with decals etc ,but if you've a quarter of a wing for instance,then it's not so easy to get a good aesthetically (fuelproof) result IMHO & experience".

After the 'Walk of Shame' to retrieve the wreckage, I like to fly another model immediately
just to show that I'm no cry-baby, and built of sterner stuff.

However, the bits get taken home, and then are left well alone for a day or two. Only then will I decide whether to repair the airframe or not. If it's just an ARTF, then the decision is based on pure expedience. OTOH if it's an own-design, then I'm far more inclined to commence corrective surgery.

You can't thwart gravity forever.

tim

Touch wood. No crashes yet. I'm a beginer on FW for 4years.But with heli's i had quite a few.

All my fault. You viewed it as part of the learning curve. You're going to have a crash sometime .

So i'd pick up the bits; order the parts; re-assemble and carry on. Actually rebuilding the heli was part of the fun; (if you call it fun smiley). Just keep on flying.

All depends on the final outcome but a bit of moping goes on in my shed while i write out a list of repairs and what hardware is needed. if all that is left is the tail feathers to hang from the wall like a set of antlers or moose head, well what can you do? zip all, and just wait for the snide remarks from your comrades they are usually worse than the crash.

OH so Free Flight counts: Diesel too rich result wings folding after hand launch as power increased.

Radio I have the right to remain silent; let me say a good many though.

I did spend the best part of an afternoon looking for one FF model, only to see a crowd of Cows in a field taking an interest in her, got it back all in one, how did they go so far on just an eyedropper tank full of fuel.

Every one down to me and I do try and learn but...

I enjoy the hobby and all that goes with it + I remember Sir Isaac a lot.

David

I went through a particularly bad patch a couple of years back, I wrote off six models in six flights!!! As the last model spiralled into the ground a fellow club member snatched my transmitter out of my hand, to stop me smashing it into the ground and jumping on it.

I then converted to electric and have only crashed one model in the last year, a high speed (too) low pass with a funjet.

I am now learning the dark art of Helicopter flying and really enjoying myself

If I have another plane with me I'll fly that, if not I will do the walk of shame with the bin bag back to the car and then drive home in the hope not too many people noticed, then when I get home rush it in the house so that all the neighbours can't see I crashed it.

Heh, well, As I just had my first proper uninterrupted flight at the club patch today, all my unexpected arrivals happened when I was trying to fly on my own. So falling to the ground and screaming like a baby whilst kicking and pounding the grass was just my way of a plea for help. Lucky no one saw me! wink

But seriously, the list could have done with a "Laugh Out Loud" option. Personally, I would probably turn to any spectators, doff my hat, and take a bow. teeth 2

Depends.... If it's one of my experimentals then I'm pretty laid back. Fix it up and fly a few times untill i'ts sorted ...or destroyed! If it's a good'n and I've done done something stupid,(normal cause) I behave in a most unlady like manner! It's a matter of pride to have the plane fixed and flying the very next day. The last biggy was with 'Bumble' a little vintage sports yard bird thingy, pulled out of a fast roll and watched the reciever battery go flying......face 7

option 6 above sit down, bury head in both hands and cry. that brings all the lads round for the postmortem. on a really good day some generous soul may even offer words of consolation or an old hack when i say none of my other 20-odd models are flyable (this latter seems to happen to everyone but me).

I've not crashed my own yet (touch wood!). When it's someone else's plane though there's not a lot you can do besides grovel! This was the result of a learning venture early last January with my neighbour's Arising Star when I banked too steep too close to the ground, got caught by the wind and ended up in a tree...

No Longer Arising Star

Needless to say that I agreed I'd been stupid, said enough to apologise and then made the effort to collect every last piece of plane so we could attempt the repair job! It ended up decorating the bin!!

Edited By John 'JB' Seal on 27/01/2013 15:35:25