How do you react when you break a model?

As an old military accident investigator, our service went to all cause determinations. There is no single primary cause of accidents, there are usually multiple causes, and if one can interrupt the sequence of causes, one can stop the accident from occurring.

So, yes most of our crashes are our fault, whether it be a bad batter, bad connection or dumb thumbs, it is still our fault. One should learn from the event and try not to repeat the sequence of events, ergo prevent future crashes. Unfortunately, we like to fly and thus expose our selves to those errors of judgment that lead to crashes.

So take heart, keep flying and always analyze the cause and attempt to prevent it from occurring again. But by all means, keep flying. That is after all the objective.

Advert

Posted by Essjay on 13/11/2013 20:08:14:

It's very much like learning to ride a bike, you get better and better all the time, but in the back of your mind you know that at some time your 'gonna fall off!
Remember, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!

Surely you meant, "You can't make an omelette while riding a bicycle." smile p

Heh. As it's 11 months since I first posted on this thread, I have done a bunch of learning and have decided to mostly make my own planes from foam for now. The result of a bad crash is that I already noted the rubbish piloting and proceed to break out the super glue/gaffer tape/spare servo, to get 'er back in the air as quickly as poss. thumbs up

Don't know yet. I have only been flying twice and the first time I just watched. The second time, my informal instructor took off (and landed) and handed me the controls at a safe height. Very soon I entered a spiral dive which was totally mesmerising and my next recollection was my instructor snatching the transmitter and saving the day. He explained to me, very graciously and in Spanish that it was much better for me to give him the transmitter as soon as I felt out of control and not wait for him to snatch! Lesson learned. I then had a very happy afternoon grabbing short periods of command and on many occasions thrusting the transmitter to my now best friend, who smiled equally graciously. The plane that I nearly crashed was a foamy Super Cub and ultimately I am expecting it to end up as a collection of glued together pieces. I won't be sad when this one gives up as this is what it was bought for and hopefully I will get better in the process. Being mainly a builder I expect I will be sad when one I have lovingly built goes in hard. I think I would be relieved if I could salvage parts and especially the engine.

Mainly I am a collector so maybe I will say I collect crashed aeroplanes (someone has to!)

I won't vote yet however because it still might be the tantrum.

Posted by Levanter3 on 17/11/2013 11:57:34:

totally mesmerising

Haha! I love that description, mostly for it's veracity.

But wait!!!!

HAH! Got it! Franz Mesmer! It's his fault that we crashed!!

Problem solved people!! Any time you experience that RC death spiral, you can shout "Damn you Franz Mesmer!!" And then explain to witnesses that a German guy who died in 1815 just took over your model. Simples. smile p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

First I pick up the pieces, then try to access what happened and why. After that I have to determine if I have enough model left to rebuild it. I think a model, especially ARFs should be rebuilt at least one time. Sometimes the crash is so violent, there is just a bag of trash to pick up and some things to salvage. I am building up my supply of hardware and fuel tanks..

surely the post should be," in what order do you"...as I do all of the above crying

I find it is actually worse when the you break one when its not even in the air!!...tailgate crush, tread on one, wind catches a wing etc....

Funny one happened to me just last week, fired up my OS91FS with a stick as my flicker, popped backwards then spluttered and died when I took the glow off, snapped glow back on, gave it the customary "firm but fair flick"...only to find the engine 3ft to my left!!! surprise......Ummmm hydraulic lock, is a real kick in the pants!!....that's right, whacked the bulkhead complete with motor clean out of it....

Worst bit was the walk of shame over to my engine took an age as I had to step over various bodies of club members who were rolling around on the ground holding their sides in....

We are a very supportive lot us modellers...

I did find the funny side....was back in the air this weekend.

Never declare a model beyond repair on the day of the crash. Don't be too hasty to dive into the repair straight away. Assess and sleep on it. Always treat the broken parts with respect, what may appear un repairable on the day will never be as bad as you think. Try to prevent further damage or fuel and oil getting where you might want to glue. Take the bits home and store safely the desire and inspiration to repair may come in a few days and a few weeks

• 5 weeks later...