What Dremel multi tools

I had Lidel multi tool that lasted me two years until the battery failed. But for £20 I was more than happy with it.

I replaced it with a little more expensive Draper tool that after 3 months is already broken.

I need a replacement but whitch one? I thought I would like a Dremel with a chuck but even dremel have a different number of models

any reccomendations?

Advert

I had a Dremel jigsaw with disc sander attachment. The sander attachment
was out of alignment & very diificult to use. It stopped working altogether
after about a year - so I'm not too impressed with Dremel!
(Others will have the opposite experience I'm sure).

I currently use a Clarke mains powered rotary tool - model CRT40 I think - which has
been reliable for a few years.

I've got a model 4000 kit which included a flexidrive attachment (model225) Didn't fancy a battery job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-4000-Rotary-Tool-4000-1/dp/B0033UWLXI/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1359543976&sr=1-6

I've found it very usefull for all sorts of jobs both modelling and around the house - a sturdy bit of kit which is more than can be said about the attachments available ( drill stand etc) which seem a bit cheep and nasty to me !!!

I also bought a rotary tool set from Aldi which complements it well.

I consider it a very good buy.

I am the odd one out regarding these multi-tools, they simply don't work for me! I bought one from Maplin a couple of years ago and that is probably why - very poor quality. Every now and again, like this morning, I give the tool another try and mess up a job that I then have to re-do. Just can't get it to run true.

Anyway - don't go for the Maplin one!

Re my earlir post. Despite saying that I have never got on with it, I felt that I should try and use my Minicraft drill, but the cord the one to plug the drill into the transformer has had an internal break to the wire for some time leaving me to wiggle the cord to get the drill to run. Last week in frustration I cut the plug off, with some lead, to look for the break. Big mistake! Now having chased the wire down to the plug, which is moulded on, I have nothing left to solder the ends with, which is what I had planned to do. Now I've seen a complete cord with the plug for sale, but to change it involves taking the drill appart and with my luck things will probably fly out as soon as I try to split the case. Has anyone who knows this type of drill or has had a similar problem, seen a plug I could use?

Edited By Colin Ashman on 30/01/2013 13:15:51

I've had a B&D Wizard for a few years but I saw the Dremel 3000 at our local DIY barn for £29 so I had one. I've also got the flexishaft and the drill stand which turns it into a nice small pillar drill. I have a chuck on it too and it's perfect for small jobs, like drilling 1.5 and 2.0 mm holes in flattened brass tube and aluminium sheet required for the Cub I'm currently building. I think it's OK for the lighter jobs, just don't expect it to go through 4"angle iron. disgust

Having the right bits and accesories is also important, a friend of mine had one he never got on with but I bought hime a set from Maplins when it was on offer and he now loves it.

Have a look at the Black and decker Wizard multi tool . Its a mains job but so much better than the dremmel . The first one lasted about eight years and was used hard on most days . The pin chuck was replaced with a normal chuck available from Axminster . The replacement I bought about 9months ago was found on the web and cost about £35 inc post . pretty good as the first one bought from Homebase years before cost the same .Well worth a look.

**LINK**

• 1 year later...

Hi I've used a Dremel 385 multipro for the last 10 years, without a single fault. I got myself the flex drive shaft and the chuck, the combo has lasted well and as yet Iv enver needed to replace the brushes. I made my own drill stand for the flex shaft as well, saves on what I can only see as a expensive peice of steel with a clamp..