C of G assumptions?

fly boy3

Advert

FB3

The simple 1/4 to 1/3 rule only works on a straight wing with a conventional tail plane.

Any tailess plane has to mimic the effect of the tailplane by special areodynamics (a delta) and/or a reflex trailing edge.

This means the effective wing chord is less than the physical one so the CofG has to be a bit further forward but how much is complex.

The calculators should get it somewhere near but be aware tailless planes are more sensitive to CofG position than conventional.

fly boy

My rule of thumb on home designs especially is to go for 25% to start with .This born out by the above links .On a conventional set up (however you interpret that ),you'll probably end up around 30 to 33%.Only on free flight high climbing under timed power fast flying pylon models will you find the C ofG way back nearly to the TE .with a lifting tailplane . I'm now reminiscing again.Sorryembarrassed

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 05/02/2013 23:24:03

• 3 months later...
Posted by crispin church on 06/02/2013 20:45:02:

IS IT JUST ME OR IS Support Our Partners ADDS IN THE WAY?

The reason it was Crispin is becuase you posted a very long URL in the post above this comment - which I have now edited. If you have not already done so (this was some time ago!) please read up in the tutorials area how to post links on here.

BEB

Posted by fly boy3 on 06/02/2013 15:14:31:

Hi Simon, must say all this information is very interesting. Is the refex trailing edge you speak of, the reason why Zagi type wings have some up on elevons at all times.

The explanation of tail-less theory that appeals to me is that the "tailplane" in effect overlaps the main flying surface - i.e. the ele part of the elevons coincides with the trailing edge of the wing. As the moment arm is so short, in order to stabilise the wing correctly, the C of G needs to be very much forward of the "normal" 25 - 33 per cent mean chord.

The reflex is actually the equivalent of setting the normal positive angle of attack for the wing provided by the "decalage" angle when using a conventional tailplane.

For an unswept flying wing (planks)15-20% MAC is a good starting point for the C of G. At 15% MAC you will need a lot more reflex but 'how much' is down to trial and error. The C of G calculator posted by Engine Doctor works well for swept/tapered wings.

As an aside, I have scratch built a few flying wings over the years and I have found that broader control surfaces with smaller deflections tend to work better than narrow strip elevons. Just my 2p worth!

What are you building by the way?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 01/06/2013 07:46:57