RCM&E March 2013 feedback

Antiquated

The postman has just delivered my copy of this issue, so I'm about to get a cup of tea and settle down to read it (especially the autogyro article). Am I mistaken, or does it seem as if the magazine is coming earlier and earlier each month?

Also included is a letter telling me that "MyHobbyStore" has been rebranded as "mytimemedia". I think I preferred the old name.

Advert

I'm just settling down to read my copy as well! You're right, it does seem to be getting here earlier and earlier each month (not that I'm complaining!). I wasn't expecting it for a week or so at least!

As for the MyHobbyStore name change, I preferred the old one too but presumably they won't be changing the actual store name as well? I fail to see how the new name could be reflective of RC related products so I'm guessing not but as long as the wide range of products continues with fantastic customer service alongside them then I guess it doesn't matter anyway!

Edited By John 'JB' Seal on 06/02/2013 11:35:36

We make 13 issues a year remember gents wink 2

The name change is a good thing and long overdue from the editorial point of view and serves to help distance the magazine from the retail part of the MHS business. We've never had any connection apart from the Plans Service but it didn't stop some observers arriving at strange conclusions.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 06/02/2013 11:55:28

For once I have a read a process for setting up electric models that I agree with, and for once does not seem to be written by a dyed in the wool IC modeller.

I am referring to the Stan Yeo letter on P73.

As Stan has suggested, I too, use a flight pack Nimh pack, which I normally use on my servo checker. As Stan has indicated, I bind away from the model, in my case with no servos. I immediately set the Failsafe, using the same equipment.

I use the same Nimh pack then to check all the servo settings.

Where I differ, is, I then plug in the ESC. I set the throttle full open on the TX, plug in the Lipo. Close throttle. Disconnect the Lipo, put on the propeller, and check rotation. If it needs changing, I either swap wires, or reprogram where this is possible, having disconnected the Lipo. Then recheck.

All other checks with respect watts amps against volts are then undertaken with the propeller on.

Many early brushless motors came with warnings that under no circumstances should the motor be run at any speed without a load, and that full speed could cause irrevocable damage. I do not know if it was true then or now, I just never do it.

Congratulations to Stan, for once a procedure that is practical and written by some one with electric flight experience, rather coming to the issues with an IC head.

As to the rest of the magazine, as many others, I am studying the Panther Plan, and reading the text. The subject is a breath of fresh air. The written tet has a lot of content, to date, with more to come. I suspect that there is potentially much more that could usefully be written, over and above that which has been planned.

Edited By Erfolg on 08/02/2013 12:22:18