When does your building 'stall'?

Just viewed Kevin Fairgrieve's thread on clearing out his loft and I'm certain that scene looks familiar to a lot of us. When building etc. when do you find that progress 'stalls', it's put to the back of the queue and another is started? Is it because a seemingly unsurmountable problem is encountered and so it becomes a chore? Initial enthusiasm has waned? A stage of the build you don't feel confident about and therefore avoid? Or just that something else has taken your fancy? Having been out of building for a while I've just got a huge mountain of refurb and one new build on the go but I do remember that glassing and covering caused a few 'bottle necks' for me, how about you?

Tangeyface 7

Advert

For me it is without question covering them. Its a job I really don't like. Although if I buckle down to it I can usually make a decent job of it and I'm nearly always pleased and proud of the result. Its just the doing it - in particular the starting of covering - that delays me. Sometimes to the point of not doing it at all! I have more than one model stuck at the "beautiful skelaton" stage.

Now if I could team up with someone that likes covering, but hates the woodwork/installation phases, we could really go cooking on gas!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/03/2013 18:34:25

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/03/2013 14:18:21:

I could team up with someone that likes covering, but hates the woodwork/installation phases, we could really go cooking on gas!

Even though she never likes to admit it (maybe its stop me buying more stuff to cover), but my girlfriend likes ironing on the covering on my aircraft! Even though she hates ironing....

Si.

For me the moment of stall appears when I have to sand leading and trailing edges. It started when I built my first Sharkface and still this putts me off. I just hate it the most - due to my alergy, mainly to dust, I cry every single time I sand anythingwink. All the rest - installing gear, covering etc is the big pleasure to me.

i hit the stall point evert time i switch on this computorsurprise. the trouble is i have my computor up in the large loft room alongside all my models about 46 at last rough count of which 4 are ready to fly. i get up here determined to do some work but switch on read the posts, wander on to you tube or flea bay and bingo the day has gone by in a flash. i have 3 models i'm trying to get sorted at the moment an extra slim twin (fit engines and radio) a multiplex cargo (fit 4 brushless motors) and a correx and ali combat model (fit radio gear and engine). i've been up here 3 hours and hav'ent touched one of them yetindecision

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/03/2013 14:18:21:

For me it is without question covering them. Its a job I really don't like. Although if I buckle down to it I can usually make a decent job of it and I'm nearly always pleased and proud of the result. Its just the doing it - in particular the starting of covering - that delays me. Sometimes to the point of not doing it at all! I have one than one model stuck at the "beautiful skelaton" stage.

Now if I could team up with someone that likes covering, but hates the woodwork/installation phases, we could really go cooking on gas!

BEB

Welcome to my world, I'm exactly the same!

CS

when the weather is consistantly rubbish my enthusiasm wanes, but the final covering/painting is often a bit of a blocker. I don't often have more than one project on the go at any one time as things get too complicated. I might have lots of planned builds, but only usually one lot of wood on the go

I'm with Simon B - its the installation. I'm fine cracking on with any building and covering -though certainly don't claim to reach anything like top standards - but when it comes to fitting all the gear I prevaricate for aeons

Absolutely no idea why - its always been that way

My other hobby is high-end hifi and av systems (Audio-Visual) At the moment due to long,cold, miserable dark nights, like watching a film in multo-channel surround (DTS 7.1 EX) through my reference amps, speakers and av processor.

Plane films sound good as well. Anyone got/seen Operation Red Flag?

1325423428_4978705.jpg

I have to say though, I have seriously been putting off the covering of the Stampe, as its been years since I have tried, and this is the bit people see, but once I started, I actually found it very theraputic and really enjoyed it, except paying for the 10 meters of Oratex crying

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 15/03/2013 19:39:49

Ahh now I've read the thread I uderstand what the title means! [They are obvioisly doing something in distinct contravention of the "Town and Country Planning Act 1990" I think to myself]

A few things stall my building

1] Putting together ARTF's for me. It's very boring indeed, but it has to be done. I do like models I build for myself, but its hard to beat the flying characterisitics of a decent ARTF so from time to time it has to be done. I've deen putting a 'Monolog 400 together for the Spring. All the worst bits of building and none of the good bits.

2] Repairing and maintaining planes for myself and my son. Again it has to be done. I'm very glad that my 16 year old son loves to come out flying, in fact its great to spend time on a common interest. I wish that maintaining them came a bit more naturally to him!

3] Building up to things I havn't done before. There is a bit of a lesson here. This week I painted two of the roundels on my Puppeteer. I had not been looking forwards to it and fearing a mess, but a bit of thinking and a flash of inspiration meant that they turned out really well and were not as hard as I thought they would be. I'm coming to think that you can do almost anything if you think it through and take it steady.

I hope this is the case as I have a wire undercarriage to bend and solder, and I've never done either!

4] Decisions. I have a Zero to finish next. Will I go 90 four strok glow, Small petrol or Electric? I can't really decide!

5] Cashflow. I have an agreed budget and sometimes projects have to wait. If I go Glow or Petrol with the Zero, I will have to save up or sell something to pay for an engine. If I go electric I will have to save up for the battery!

6] And finally..... Really nice weather! [You must be able to guess why!]

The Stage of Endless Fannying About.

You know what I mean; the airframe looks ready to cover, but you know that there's a least a week of jiggery-pokery & fettling before I get busy with the covering iron.

There's a second, lesser stall point in my case; returning to my hand-drawn plan and filling in all the details and captions. Seems to be an impossible task, but in reality it only takes a few hours to complete.

tim

For those of you crying about the cost of covering, take a look at Hobby King (hope these are not dirty words on this forum).

For the cost of a 2 meter roll from my LHS, I can buy a 5 metre roll (including shipping) for the same price. I can vouch for the quality too. Takes very high temps and excellent shrinkage for compound curves. A good range, but could be wider.

No light weight or tissue imitation (eg. solar tex) options, but enough variety otherwise for decent selection.

My garage where I store my planes gets up to 60 degrees celcius (140 degrees fahrenheit) in summer and non of models have sagged. My Boomerang (ARTF) on the other hand looks like a bag of saggy washing.

Edited By Down Under on 16/03/2013 03:18:26