How old are we?

Posted by Martin Harris on 25/02/2014 09:25:13:

Bearing in mind the age profile from the survey - did some of the people who can only see the results perhaps forget that they voted on this last year? devil

How does the saying go ..."many a true word spoken in jest!"

I certainly had to stop and think if I had already responded embarrassed

I know I have a memory problem so I can see how this would occur. I either make jokes about my memory mistakes to cover it up or sometimes I simply avoid situations where they becomes evident. In the case of forum contributions that means I sometimes don't take part because I can't remember if I've previously contributed, especially if it's a long thread to try and search through.

The forum search facility doesn't appear to allow one to search for one's own postings (unless I'm missing something) which can help to remind one of previous thoughts. That is a function I would find very useful, it certainly helps me in other forum environments.

The strange thing is I can remember the registrations of all the cars I've owned in 40 years, or Latin I was taught at school 45 years ago and all manner of similarly useless information.

Now them ... what was I supposed to be doing this morning?

Edited By avtur on 25/02/2014 09:59:01

Last year ?

I can only just remember last week !

The memory is really funny though, certain things from almost 50 years ago are still quite fresh in my mind......... maybe we associate an element of 'importance' to things and put them in different places in our memory bank. Not sure some of what I can remember is important now, but may be it was when written to my memory ..................

Anyway, i'm 53, feel 25, act 15

GG

Avtur. If you look at the red bar at the top of your screen , on the right you will see "my posts". This is what you are looking for. Not sure how far back they will go for the longer sevrving posters but all mine are there for some years. I'm not one of the very prolific posters as you can see from my avatar(?) March 2008 it says in my case.

John

Edited By John Tee on 25/02/2014 11:58:29

Posted by John Tee on 25/02/2014 11:55:41:

Avtur. If you look at the red bar at the top of your screen , on the right you will see "my posts". This is what you are looking for. Not sure how far back they will go for the longer sevrving posters but all mine are there for some years. I'm not one of the very prolific posters as you can see from my avatar(?) March 2008 it says in my case.

John

Edited By John Tee on 25/02/2014 11:58:29

Thank you kind sir, I (obviously embarrassed) hadn't noticed that !

I was too busy looking within the forum heading, I really can't believe I missed that.

Nurse ... is it time for my tablets yet?

Avtur - loosing the plot dept.

Posted by Steve T on 24/02/2014 13:06:22:

59 This year, flew free and 2ch in the 70's and early 80's, lots of Vic Smeed stuff, a bit of a hero of mine. back to building at last, 18 months now. Also do rotary, cars and boats! Haven't managed to complete a flight yet though, got a fair bit of 'spares' out of it though. I really do live in the back of beyond so my local club is almost an Easyjet flight away! And yes you cannot forget but you can lose it in the air, 4/5 channels is a whole new game of soldiers!

Dang! I seem to be hearing that I shouldn't start selling off my RC cars, buggies and trucks! (well all are in various stages or disassembly) Or my Scalextric (all raced scruffy and modified smile p ) !

Hey, do I get to alter my vote in August when I move up to the next age group???? thumbs upteeth 2

Edited By Chuck Plains on 25/02/2014 18:08:33

.... the poll results so far adds up about right in my case, Now at my club field very few are younger than me, while most are older . When I started in my youth, there were loads at my age in the hobby, seems like we've all got older together with no more young uns coming in to the hobby .... scary ! frown

Ronaldo

At 63 in a few weeks, I too am thinking about the next generation.

An American on RC Groups once asked “Do you always have some chuck gliders to give to young future enthusiasts?” I felt shamed & have since given a few away.

This year I am taking our young neighbour under my wing & will train him with a 3 channel high wing trainer.
Adding my third son I hope I will exceed replacement rate.

Wishing you all successional flying angel

Mark

• 1 month later...

I don't think the hobby is going gray, I think it has always been skewed to the over 40 group. That is where people's earning power is getting stronger and when many of the children are becoming independent either demanding less of parental time or able to join into the hobby more actively.

Once we reach 50 many of the kids are out of college and money is now available to indulge in a hobby like RC flying. And if the kids want to fly they may have jobs and money of their own.

As we go up in years the fact that RC does not have to be physically demanding helps people stay in the hobby. And the explosion of electrics, RTFs and smaller models make this hobby easier to enter and easier to continue. You can fly a micro heli in the living room, a quad copter on the back porch and a micro slow flyer in the yard.

Finally, like most things based on electronics, the price you pay for what you get keeps falling so it is easier to have multiple aircraft, helis, quads and hex rotors, sailplanes, cars and boats even on a somewhat modest budget.