How old are we?

Let's be cautious with the interpretation of the results - this poll really answers how old are the forum users who choose to answer the question which may or may not be skewed with age compared to the age ranges of those who actively participate in the hobby?

Still it is fascinating (& worrying) that the initial response shows that 41% are over 61....I'm in the youth development policy at 54!

I wasn’t interested in aeromodelling at 25 either, far better things to do.

So, like so many others we have a play in out teens when we are very enthusiastic then drop it for a while. To be picked up again when we are a bit older and have a bit of spare cash.

Nev, 53 next week.

I guess the positive aspects of the age distribution, is that, from a trade position, that modellers have money to spend.

The negative aspect is that there are very few modellers, or should that be fliers, who are very young? Never in my life time have models been available that fly well, at low cost, that can be controlled to do what you want, as right now. I would have hoped that there would be so many youngsters flying small models, that getting on the field on a Saturday and Sunday would have been tough.

There tends to be two aspects to the broad heading of modelling, that is flying, where there is little evidence of youngsters, which we have dealt with and building. I do broadly accept that most youngsters are on their computers and consoles. Yet from my grandchildren ( all girls) between the age of 5 to say 9, they enjoy making things, That is even when ready finished items are available. Youngsters are broadly creative, when left to themselves.

Could it be that a lot of so called, much derided by some, loved by me, flying toys, are flown in the home, gardens and parks? I hope so, as not many make it to our field or onto this site.

I am not a subscriber to the notion that most modellers start in their 30's or later. I feel, most are returning from a youth of modelling. The new starters and those that never had a break are the smaller group.

Yet the past is not always a direct indicator of the future, especially when so specific as with modelling.

I think Myron has made a good point as many of us,whilst growing older, have been active modellers for many years.I will very soon be 74 but I started building models in 1954.Like many of us I did reduce my interest for a while,RAF,marriage and family etc.but quickly resumed on a regular basis from very early 30`s when my son expressed an interest.Great times and a great hobby,could not imagine life without it.

A few weeks to go to reach 68 but not sure I'll make it as a large box was delivered this morniing and it's caused a bit of friction with the person I share my hanger house with. She claims I've taken over the house when I've only got planes in 2 out of 3 bedrooms. How unfair is that. crook

Alwyn

Posted by Jon Laughton on 18/03/2013 16:35:42:

Let's be cautious with the interpretation of the results - this poll really answers how old are the forum users who choose to answer the question which may or may not be skewed with age compared to the age ranges of those who actively participate in the hobby?

Still it is fascinating (& worrying) that the initial response shows that 41% are over 61....I'm in the youth development policy at 54!

I'm definitely skewed with age. smile p

Can't wait till I turn 60 in August, I'll drum up some daily prescriptions from the doc and make cakes with 'em! teeth 2

Well, I really enjoyed being 19 - I decided that was really good. Everything is perfect at 19, you have independence, you're young enough to enjoy it. You are of course immortal and you think you understand women. (The later is a relatively short lived event in my experience because by the time you reach 21 you realise that you don't and spend the rest of your life being convinced of that fact!)

Anyway 19 was so good I decided to stop counting there. I am officially, 19.

Although by some mystery I can't comprehend my birth certificate says I'm 56 - puzzling? crook

BEB

Apparently I'm in the average age group for this hobby.. They say model flying is like malaria, if contracted in youth it returns in outbreaks throughout your life.. My first attack was aged about 10-15 (rubber power), the next 24 - 30 (control line and slope soaring) and now I'm in my third outbreak (R/C) which started about 10 years ago.

Well the according to the calendar it would appear I am 57 in a few days time, however the little voice inside me appears to be stuck at the age of around 20.

I first encountered balsa wood, balsa cement, tissue and dope around the age of 10-11; it’s been on and off ever since. Working for a living has always been a disproportionate drain on life resulting in limited spare time, never worked 9-5 Monday Friday, never had the stability to become long term involved in club scene.

Still, hopefull a few years on the clock yet to see if things can change ... oh, and certainly one of the grey brigade including the beard!!

Edited By avtur on 18/03/2013 21:35:21

67 and never been kissed.face 16Been slapped a few times though.smile o

This hobby is like having a fine wine in your blood, just keeps getting better with age.face 23 But makes you more insensible the older you get. People our age should be saving for bus tours and catching up on all that reading we missed whilst working 70hrs per week. Not spending hours in uncomfortable hunched positions exposing ourselves to all manner of self inflicted dangers then even more hours in inhospitable conditions in the hope that the fruits of all your previous sacrifice and endeavours will survive for at least 5 minutes. It's crazy! But we love it!

Tangey