How old are we?

I believe getting older is compulsory, but growing up isn't.

Started when I was about 12 on free flight, then control line, then did boats, cars and then into flying RC Slope Soarers when I was in my 20's. Wife and kids came along so hung up my flying helmet. Kids (and wife) left, so back into flying in my mid forty's and am still enjoying the hobby at 53.

Looks like from the age distribution that I am coming up to my prime so looking forward to the next 20 years!

16. Been flying as long as I can remember, only seriously started a few years back. While others of my age have been attracted by Xboxes, Twitter and computery things, I am one for wood, engines and that plane.

Oh, and boats. And engines. And aviation in general. And cars. And engines. And motor racing. And engineering. And aerodynamics. And engines. And Physics. Did I say engines?

CS

Well I'm in the oldest group but I didn't take up the hobby until I was 55 when I took early retirement (it was supposed to be semi-retirement but no-one wanted a 55 year old electronics engineer). I started RC modelling after an accident stopped me sailing completely and made serious long-distance cycling too painful. Aeromodelling is definitely a second choice for me but still quite a good one.

Geoff

Well now at the big 40 and with a better income than in my teens I enjoy the hobby. Sometimes I think I take the hobby a little to seriously or should I say my attraction to anything WW2.

At my club my age is about the bottom end of the scale with most being over 60, there are some youngsters which is a good sign

Mike

I always wanted to have a go at Rc aircraft...one day. Still hadn't done it at 48 but under threat from a potentially progressive and disabling illnes I decided I'd better get on with it. Strange how something so bad can have a positive effect smile

10 years on I'm more or less managing okay and still flying, wish I'd started earlier though.

Like avtur; my head says i'm 20,but my body says i'm 60.

I've kept a disk off a birthday card that says " I am 39 " and put it on every birthday; but nobody is fooled smiley.

Can you remember when you bent and twisted your body into all positions to do something while at work, and not ache the following day. See the memory goes as well.

I turned 58 last week and had a brief flirtation with control line combat at school (plank + DC Spitfire), then returned at 50 when I gave up off-road Enduro motorcycle racing. Still snowboarding but my mind is still under the assumption I am still indestructible, however my body is not convinced. Hopefully the fingers will continue to obey my mind for many years to come.teeth 2

I guess I am like many others here, built Kiel Kraft rubber power models from age 12 then dabbled with various (gliders mainly) up to mid teens then RAF, Girls, marriage and family took over my time and money. I retained an interest by reading various mags an always yearned to have a go at RC. Then at age 56 I stopped smoking and found that I suddenly had money in my pocket at the end of the week. Now, almost 20 years on,I have a loft (workshop) full of models and empty pockets at the end of the week.

The next poll should ask how many were 'returnees' and how long away from the hobby. Also what triggered their return.

i am creeping toward the 50 mark, and the once dark brown head covering is rapidly turning silver, a packet of colour rinse is sitting in the cupboard, left there by a family member(or the tooth fairy) as a reminder of my youth, but i will not yield, my solar panel will partly reflect the sun and help cool the planet.

my flightline= spread over 35years with family, jobs, mortgage and the usual ups and downs amongst it.

control liners --- 2mtr, 2 channel floater--- slopers---ic 3 channel trainer-- slopers---ic sport/ scale --- electric.

I have been making/flying models since late primary school. I am now 64. That must seem like forever to younger ones, but to me.... time has flown. I retired at 60 so I have heaps of time to play now...

My biggest change? From glow to all electric. NO OIL! And loving it.

Donald

The issue you raise is probably an issue of demographics and technology. That is the club I am a member off is any guide.

It seems that those who are now in their 70's, started their aeromodelling days in a period where free flight was the only option. Only a small percentage becoming RC fliers.

Those now in their 60's, started their aeromodelling in an era where RC was in its infancy, hardly ever worked, surrounded with mystery, and economy braking expensive. But the dream was there, enhanced by General Jumo in the Beano, with his vast armies. Much of what was fiction then, is now a reality with quadcopters and aeroplanes which can follow way points and predetermined and increasingly autonomous operations.

I would think that those now in their 50's were the generation where the promises became a reality. RC that worked, simple to instal and operate, albeit at a cost. The cost now just being that of a small house.

I ran a club at the Wandsworth School in the early sixties. It was a big school and we had about thirty very active members and were featured in Model Aircraft magazine.C/L was the biggest interest and although we knew of R/C, it was way beyond even me. I know of one "lad" who is still active. Where are you Bob Darnell ? I understand you are retired and would seem to be enjoying it. Myself, I will be 81 next birthday, going on eighteen from the knees up.

Alan.

64 n a half but I think I'll be working on cos I need to keep the car going to get to the field at weekends and pay for fuel n stuff for planes and to get to the odd "do" like Weston Park. Pensions are OK but tend to keep food,heat and house in good order!

Also strangely work keeps me fit,disciplined and mentally active or maybe just mental! Am I alone in this?

Geoff