Nylon or steel

Advert

Another vote for nylon. It is a pleasing sight to have the bolts snap rather than the bottom ripped out of the fuselage. Although not as satisfying as a perfect landing resulting in neither of course!

i find getting the stubs of broken bolts out to be a bit of a chore sometimes, a heated end of an old flat screwdriver always shifts them if nothing else will though.

r.

Posted by Robin Kearney on 12/04/2013 23:07:57:

i find getting the stubs of broken bolts out to be a bit of a chore sometimes, a heated end of an old flat screwdriver always shifts them if nothing else will though.

And one of our club members spent a good hour or so last Saturday afternoon getting a broken nylon bolt extracted - attacking it with screwdrivers, a drill, all sorts of stuff. What made it funnier though is that he's a dentist - so there was just a little bit of mickey-taking going on as he dug away at the remains of the bolt! teeth 2

It all depends on two factors, your actual skill levels and what you perceive as your skill level.

If every landing is a greaser then theres no reason on earth why you shouldn't fit nylon bolts. If you think every landing is a greaser, in reality they are kangaroo arrivals then nylon bolts are a necessity and the time spent getting the bits out is a penance for your conceit.

I fit steel bolts and upgrade the mounting, don't have a problem .................yet.

It has to be said that alloy u/c and fibreglass and carbon u/c have less give, in a fore and aft direction than wire, fit wire and you'll have less structural problems and it's dead easy to bend nearly straight.

Posted by Braddock, VC on 13/04/2013 00:26:27:

It all depends on two factors, your actual skill levels and what you perceive as your skill level.

That statement made me roar with laughter, I think that applies to many things in life wink

John, I feel for the guy, but I know I'd not have been able to restrain myself from making the odd comment if I were one of the observers!

r.

I have to say, Robin, he took it in good spirit - and was actually one of the main participants taking the mickey out of himself. He assured us he'd be sterilising the drill before using it on his patients on Monday! wink 2

Another incident some years ago illustrates the difference between use of nylon and steel bolts. One of our regular flyers had a Wot4 that he'd been flying for many, many months - years even. It had nylon u/c bolts and he never had a problem. Until one afternoon, when for no apparent reason the bolts snapped on a fairly average landing. With some muttering and cursing the bolts were replaced and promptly snapped on the very next flight! The following weekend he turned up with steel bolts in the Wot4. After a few decent flights his final flight of the day ended with a slightly heavier than normal landing. The bolts of course didn't snap, but the u/c mounting plate was ripped out of the model. The next weekend he was back to nylon bolts!

My 66" 120 powered Dragon Lady came using 4* wood screws to hold it's undercart on and to be fair it has never been a problem, but by choice I'd use 5mm steel on most models. I've tried nylon bolts but as Greybeard said, if the UC parts company it usually causes damage on it's way back along the underside anyway.

I used steel bolts on my Acrowot because I didn't have sufficient nylon ones for two models. A misjudged deadstick landing, too fast and all crossed up, caused the undercarriage to rip the undercarriage block out of the fuselage.

This meant that the wing was not held in place at the front when it hit the ground.

This caused the wing to become detached and the shock caused the servos to come loose in the fuselage.

If I'd used nylon bolts the undercarriage would just have broken away.

Guess that makes me a wimp.

I used nylon bolts on a kit built WOT4 many years ago, when I was learning to fly. My landings were a touch on the rough side, as they often are when you are at that stage of learning, and the nylon bolts often broke and damaged the underside of the plane. I moved to steel bolts and never had a problem. Neither did I pull the undercarriage plate out.

At one time they used to recommend steel bolts partly sawn through to create a break point.