Lost plane is it the end

Danos

Advert

Chin up old boy... Spent 18 months on a super detailed flair Cub (grasshopper) only for the wing to come off 5 mins into the maiden. Dug it out of a crop field. A fellow flyer built a lovely spitfire in a high gloss chrome finish, only to get it to 200 feet and utter the words "where the hell is it?" - never seen again. When I started out XX years ago, I saw another flyer with a Cub take off and it kept going, and going... and.... going... flew from Kent right across the Thames into Essex and landed. There was a fuel leak and it leaked right into the receiver...

If you have had that model for two years it (and you) have done well, one thing I accept is that we do NOT own our models, they just pass through our hands. You will be back flying in no time, good luck

Steve

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/04/2013 11:38:15

Bad luck that man.

When I was 14 I bought, with my hard earned paper round money, a nice sport model (cant remember what it was now) It was my pride and joy. I spent hours checking and double checking everything.

I took it down the field, had a bit of a fly round with my other models but didn't feel comfortable flying the new one yet. I was goaded into it by a few of the other chaps and finally took off.

I managed about half a circuit before it started acting up. I had aileron, rudder and throttle control so all I can assume is that the servo or a linkage had given up on the elevator. It was flying around in circles slowly getting further and further away while I battled with it. Eventually, when it was little more than a speck I decided to cut the throttle and let it come down. We found it about a mile away at the side of a farm track - loads of damage and a very broken 14 yr old boy. I took it, put it in my dad's car and we drove home. I didn't say a word (according to Dad)

At that point I decided to give up the hobby. I didn't thankfully but the lesson was learnt. Funny thing was that I didn't mind crashing when it was my parents paying

All I can say it chin up, get another model and go flying!

Phill

lol Stevo the spitfire story cracked me up you guys have given me something to giggle about thats for sure n now i dont feel such a dumbass :P You must of been gutted Phill especially at that age its never nice crashing but it doesnt bother me so much because most planes can be fixed or parts stripped n reused. So yeah ive reordered some stuff to get me back in the air so shudnt be long now :D

Dan

Posted by Simon B on 23/04/2013 22:16:42:

Have a look on Ebay and BMFA Classifieds for second hand official Spektrum receivers too. You can pick them up cheap enough. I've got an AR500 you can have for £15 + £2 postage if you want it. Plenty of people have got ones to get shot of. Horizon will sort them out if you get problems too.

Thanks Simon but ive brought me a couple of the AR400 got them for 17 pounds each. Didnt see your reply till now sorry

I know EXACTLY how you feel, I've just started with heli's and bought 2 blade micro 'copters as they are cheap to learn on (ie cheap to fix) - trouble is I like to fly outside and they get small real quick.... Cut a long story short - lost the nano last Monday, it just got away from me in some wind and I couldn't tell which way it was flying... So I cut the motor and just walked to pick it up..didn't quite see it land... Can't find it anywhere - searched all week... Gutted. Much worse than crashing. Worse thing is I know if I found it its just a new battery and off we go...

nightmare!

Cant decide whether to give up and go back to big fixed wings, save up for a bigger heli, replace the nano... Or just go to the top of the hill and shout!

the shouting is winning so far...

Know the feeling lost one with new engine and gear in it.Its never where you think it is.Kept looking and found it a month later with almost no damage.Just keep picturing what happened and go further out.I found my Mamselle nearly a mile away and my legs are dreadful for walking ,dont give up its there somewhere

I lost one many years ago near Manchester and I can still remember watching it fly off in the direction of Manchester never to be seen again. All lost but the club I wasin all helped and one found servos one a reciever and so on I was soon flying but will not forget the feeling watching it go. It is all part of the hobby you just don't what will happen next.

Im still keeping an eye out ive been out on my bike without any success. The feeling is horrible when it happens ive since replaced everything and since learnt a lesson...put contact details in all my models hehe.

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, this might not be the right thread, so apologies Mr Moderator.

Lost plane locators!

Can anyone recommend one that has say 100 metre range and self contained battery?

The HK ones depend on the battery staying attached to the RX but in a rough landing this might detach the Lipo.

Any suggestions???

Go With the Flow

Bruce

In the late 1940's I was a kid and we all built free-flight models then. There was no club nearby and my pals and I were in the dark about aeronautics. We just built them, started the motor (after much effort) and launched a never to be seen again model. We did put names and addresses on the airframes. The message read:-

'This model aircraft is of experimental importance. Reward for its return'. We never did get one back!

However, once I launched a Veron? Skyscooter on the heath about a mile from the town. The wind took the model over the town and we chased it in my dad's car. We came across a man holding the Skyscooter and he said that it had just landed perfectly in the road as though there had been a pilot in it. No damage at all............

I now blush to remember our flying antics.

Couple of years ago when we were flying in winter on the slope, as I went to pick up my glider I spotted another, so picked it up and took it back to my fellow gliderists, turned out that it had been lost in the thick fern growth in the previous summer. One of the other fliers took it back to the owner and after fitting a new battery it was back in flying condition.

Lost model alarm - Lock8er, can't find the web address right now but if you google it should come up.

Small self contained tags to fit in model, hand held receiver unit for searching 100 Meters range claimed ccomes as set,receiver plus 2 tags,extra tags available. I forgot to put the tag in my model but the receiver took me straight to my car blush

I must admit to another satisfying if cruel feeling of a truely fantastic crash, I had a wing which I kept loading with ever faster motor and battery set-up only to find one day coming out of a dive it just folded in half and everything floated to the ground! I was the only thing in the air and the sound of full on motor to utter silence as battery went one way and motor the other was all part of the experience!!

Glued it back together, added a carbon rod within the profile, spray job and off again! Lost the battery though, just couldn't find it anywhere, managed to get everything else

I do have models that would bring a tear to the eye if (when?) they were damaged in any way... it's just that a good crash after really throwing them around is OK too!