Too Windy To Fly

Greg Watkiss

Firstly, Let me say thank you to all those who have responded to my first posting about the wind conditions.

As a beginner I am beginning to wonder whether I have made a mistake in taking up the hobby of RC flying. here I am already to take my first flight and all there is wind, wind, wind. I have been ready for nearly two weeks but every day the wind speed is above what is recommended for a novice. I have checked the extended forcast for my area here in Devon and it seems that every day for the rest of May and into June is going to be too windy for me!

How does anyone get started in this hobby?

I can feel the depression setting in - I better go and take some more pills!

Greg

Advert

I feel your pain frown

I remember when if there was even the slightest movement of leaves in the trees I couldn't go out and risk crashing my delicate foamy. If you're learning alone you'll just have to be patient and wait for the dead calm times, or go out early mornings or evenings when the wind has calmed.

Can you find someone to buddy box you, or can you join a club and benefit from their tuition?

A time will come when wind doesn't matter quite so much, especially if you progress onto bigger/heavier models ( I don't know what you're flying atm). A bit of wind is fun for me now wink 2

Hi Greg, we`re all with you on this. I`ve forgotten what model you have, but once you get a bit of experience you`ll find they mostly cope with a bit of wind. Gliders are good, but you probably want to stick with what you`ve got, at least until you get a bit of air time.Waiting for weather is like watching a kettle boil, it takes forever.

In fact I`ve been a bit envious of the weather in your part of the country in recent days. Where I am we had a couple of good days in the last fortnight, but they were weekdays. The wind normally drops in the hour or two before sunset, maybe you would be able to try an evening flight. The advice you`ve received to try and get help from an experienced flyer( that you`ve actually seen flying successfully) is about the best.

This hobby is weather dependent, and there`s no way round that. Once you are competent you may be able to fly despite the weather, and if you go to the extent of lobbing things off hills you may actually start to resent calm days

When I first started flying I always feared the wind. Many times I did not go to the club. I found it takes confidence in your ability and a little self belief . I always look at the trees outside and if I think it looks a bit to windy I will go to the club and check the conditions. Sometimes it is not as bad as you think.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 10/05/2013 17:44:28

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/05/2013 17:36:45:
Posted by john melia 1 on 10/05/2013 17:29:26:

and managed two tanks hovering cheeky

That's impressive. I mean circuits with a couple of armoured cars is one thing - but two tanks hovering that's a whole new ball game.

BEB

haha i'll make sure i proof read my posts from now on smile d

Hi Greg.

This may sound harsh, but if you are not prepared to learn to fly in wind in this country, you have chosen the wrong hobby.

You ask how anyone gets started in this hobby. Easy, you join a club and buddy with a flyer who can fly in wind. Its not as difficult as you think. The flying is easy, the landing is another story.

Garry

Edited By Garry Pollard on 10/05/2013 17:53:06

It does sound harsh, Garry!smile

A bit of browsing before posting would have established that Greg's a newbie with some lightweight foamie models that will be a bit of handful for anyone in more than a breeze, so rather than trashing it on the first flight, I can understand his frustration in having to wait for conditions that will give him half a chance.

Whilst the club route is certainly preferable, it's not always an option for everyone so most folk here have been trying to offer constructive advice which will get Greg off the ground successfully.

We'll continue to do so, if that's alright with you....wink 2

Pete

The other option Greg is to get one of these: **LINK** and just keep chucking it into the air, even with a moderate breeze. The V trainer is really, really good, and I still have fun flying mine now, especially when there is lots of wind!

You'll probably crash it plenty and may even break it a few times, but what the heck, just glue it back together and chuck it up again! You'll soon learn how to stay away from the ground with it.

Get the 3 channel version first, then pay £20 and get the aileron wing for it. It will be money well spent I promise. yes

When i was being taught to fly my instructor phoned me up one windy day and right see you at the field in a couple of hours. It was the first time i had flown in any strong wind i think it was 10mph gusting to 16mph down the strip. First flight on a buddy lead then on my own and my instructor said if you can fly in this you can fly in anything. Had a couple of brown trouser moments but it did focus the mind on the job in hand.

Be patient Gregg it will be worth it in the end.

Another option would be to go for a traditional trainer witha semi-symetrical wing section, there's plenty of them and two the best the Boomerang and Tutor2 can be either electric or glow powered. Of course these won't fly in very gusty conditions but they would open up your options of when to fly relative to wind condtions. After all when you finally get your first day's flying in you will naturally want the next one to come around pretty quick.

It's already been said but the club instructor scenario would help answer one of your questions at the beggining at this thread i.e. "How does anyone get started in this hobby?"

Whatever you do, relax and enjoy it.

Posted by Ruprect Spode on 10/05/2013 18:17:10:

Windy days are for building. Get some balsa, glue and a plan, before you know it it'll be a great flying day and you'll be annoyed because the flying will eat into your building time.face 5

Isn't that the truth.!!!!!!!

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 10/05/2013 23:11:43

Wind ... ?? Wots that ?? .... yes its not pleasant at all flying in very windy conditions, but since i have now also ventured into fully molded electric powered gliders .... wind isnt a problem ( within reason ) I got myself an RCRCM Sun Bird and a Hornet, they cut through a strong head wind like a hot knife through butter .... but flying back on the down wind leg is a bit lively and quick ! LOL, and you need to remember not to leave it too late to turn round back into wind again as the model can get quite a distance away, but a good powerful motor soon fetches it back over head again. But having said that, ..... yes I'm also looking forwards to calmer days again so I can get the sun lotion on, deck chairs out and my big petrol models out again without having to hammer tent pegs into the ground and tie everything down.

When I was learning to fly I often met with frustration .... either the day wasn't good, wet 'windy' sometimes both ... or an instructor wasn't around,.... and then again when everything was 'just right' .... I would be at work ! The thing to do is to keep at it and learn when you can, and then all the frustration is soon forgotton when you do have a good day with a few good flights behind you ... and then sure enough comes that magic moment when you discover to your amazement that you really can take off, fly a dozen or so circuits, and land safely all on your own !! teeth 2

Did my A test in wind at 15 gusting 20, I swear on the dead stick the model was going backwards when it touched down. The flight wasn't great but the verdict was, 'if you can fly that in that, then you're safe'. The secret? Mimicking real world conditions on the sim. Each time I got to the club on less than perfect days only to find it deserted, I'd go home, key the conditions into Pheonix and fly on that. Now I can officially fly, I'm the guy, down at the site, giving it a go in most conditions.

No more pills Greg, get one of these instead Here. Cheap as chips, flys in anything and addictive fun. Whata-you-mean it's not a trainer? Its unbreakable (or nearly). It will get a bit battered but you will end up getting another eventually as you will be hooked. Every one should have a Wildthing for when it is too windy for sensible flying! Enjoy.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 11/05/2013 07:29:51

Hello everybody who responded to my posting concerning too windy to fly. the replies made very interesting reading with lots of very good advice with the exception of Garry who I must have caught on a bad day. Well never mind, you can't win em all!!

Once again thanks everybody. Kind regards, Greg.

Were you not in Devon last weekend? Brilliant conditions in the Okehampton area. Maidened a E-Fair glider at the club site at Bow. First flight ever with someone helping and then several flights followed on my own. It was very calm all weekend.

I'm into gliding so have a slope soarer (link above SAS Fusion - almost indestructable, I have really tried) for the windy days and the E-Fair powered glider for the calmer days. Having fun all the time now.

Edited By TigerOC on 11/05/2013 11:04:23

On a slightly different note to keep a positive spin on things.

I actually flew my Parkzone Extra 300 (very light foam model) in the windiest conditions i have ever flown in the other day.

Winds were 15-20knts gusting 25. Now, yes, this was probably an absolutely silly thing to do and when i was stood on the tarmac watching my model get blown backwards by the wind i knew i shouldn't get airborne.

It was one of those 'I will just have one more flight' types of moments when you just know its going to end in disaster.

However, contrary to my will power, i decided to give it a go and blasted off into the wind. The next 7 minutes where then spent panicking, trying to keep the model airborne, making sure i was fast enough upwind and slow enough downwind. I then spent a couple of minutes literally trying to land it but................ i managed it in one piece.

I then took my first breath in 7minutes and actually realised what i had achieved. Of course, i didn't dream of getting airborne again even though i had 4 batteries.

So, back to my original point. Yes, you are not ready for wind yet but one day you will be at some point and then you will realise just how much you have achieved and what you are capable of.

Keep patient, some day you will have to make a conscious decision to get airborne. wink

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 11/05/2013 16:54:43